Keppra works, so far at least!

Yep, indeed I did. That's main thing keppra has gotten rid of, actually. At first it was helping with the visuals, a lot, but then in seemed to get rid of my dp/dr, completely. Now I'm dp/dr free, but the only residual part of my HPPD is the VS, but I can get that to clear up by taking some benzos. It doesn't really bother me that much though, at least I have most of my old brain back. It's really nice not to have brain fog anymore, but damn, since the fog has been lifted it's kinda hard not to get overwhelmed at times.

• Upvote 1

i have been taking keppra for a week now... 250mgs in the am 250mgs in the evening.... i want to increase my dose to what your taking... wondering how soon i should increase the dose.. any imput greatly appreciated ;)

In one weeks increase your dose to 500mgs and 250 at night, wait another week then go up to 500mg and 500mg at night and If you're feeling up to it take 1000mg in the am and 500mg in the PM the following week. That's the dosage the study suggest and that's what I'm on.

• Upvote 1

that's awesome! you're very lucky! thanks a lot for answer my question.

Np, I actually answered it a couple of weeks ago when you asked it on my other thread, you must not have seen my reply. As of right now the DP is gone but the DR is still kind of there, but I think I might have DR for the rest of my life from having quite a few strong trips.

Probably about 20% to 30%, it was quite good, as I rarely respond to meds....

unfortunatly I lost my bag on a flight to new york and had to go from 1500mg to zero for 2-3 weeks and it made me really, really ill (like electric bolts going through my body).... After that, I decided not to go back on it. Something to keep in mind if you ever go travelling.

But overall, it was a good experience and I might try Keppra again some day.

Dang I'll keep that in mind, thanks! What symptoms do you have now?

absoloutley.. will do, i just posted an update on the topic "just started Keppra today" tho ill copy and paste it here now so i can share ;)

Hey Everyone...

Ok my experiences thus far are intresting...

Im currently on 500mgs am and 250mgs pm of Keppra

I cant explain how this drug is affecting me... tho in some bizzare way it seems to be blocking things "visuals" out to some extent. I am notecing some sublte diffrences.

I have had one or two break through experiences momenterially where i have been visual free and could see clearly. I was loooking at myself in the mirror.. i was amazed.. i looked so beautiful lol and everything was clear.. could not describe my joy lol

In the mornings, i usually wake up to full blowen HPPD first thing... then after taking the 500mgs of keppra in the morning it does seem to be taking the edge off the visuals somewhat or possibly dulling them.. and in some way, it is helping me not to notice them "the visuals" so much, it is kind of like it is blocking them out.. or subtly blocking them from awarness in some way.. i have no idea how the drug has the ability to do this.

I have to say.. i am still a long way off, tho i have certainly beeen notecing some subtle diffrences thus far.. which is awesome, so i am quite pleased about that...

I will stick to the plan and keep increasing my dose by 250mgs per week..

Cheers ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys am I glad to find this site? I'm a 36 year old guy and I developed hppd when I was a couple of months away from my 21st birthday. The thing is I just discovered hppd was an actual thing and other people suffered from it in the last six months. From say 16 till my hppd hit me at 20 I took a fair amount of LSD, mushrooms, weed etc, you get the picture. Although I credit MDMA as the actual drug that done the real damage in the last 3 or 4 months till one day after an E tablet I woke up with full blown hppd. (visuals, severe dp/dr, depression) .It has differed in intensity over the years, I was put on Prozac 8 months after I first got it and I responded well not knowing what the hell was wrong with me, just that mentally I was far from 'normal'. With the Ssri and exercise I had it if not on the ropes then pushed back a fair bit. Allthough i was far from 100% life was bearable. Years later it caught up with me again though after a build up of stress and various other things, although I dunno if it was that or just the Prozac 'pooping out' on me as I've heard.

I've recently got a psychiatrist because I've been really struggling and feeling the symptoms are again growing to the point of a nervous (system) breakdown. It happened to me at 29 that things progressed so much that my brain had a hppd 'storm' that lasted a good year and then it seemed to die down and I felt better again. Anyway this psychiatrist while not buying too much into the whole hppd phenomenon is slightly more receptive to different drug treatments as long as it benefits me and isn't too bad on the old side effect front. She has suggested Pregabalin/LYrica as something that might benefit me in the anti-anxiety/visuals sense. When I asked her about Keppra she mentioned the whole 'Keppra rage' thing and she wouldn't want to prescribe me that because of those reasons. As they are both anti-convulsive drugs is there that much a difference? or should I go back and persuade her to try me on Keppra when it seems to work really well on a number of people on this site. The brain fog and far below par cognitive issues is something that really bothers me at the moment. Anything I can take to alleviate this would be great.

Anyway like I said I'm glad to have found this site. :) kev.

• 2 months later...

As they are both anti-convulsive drugs is there that much a difference?

Skim milk and butter are both dairy products, but ...

Each antiseizure med works differently. In general, it is very difficult to treat actual epillesy (about 30% can't be fully stabilized). Technically, Klonopin is an antiseizure med (its very name 'clonic') http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic%E2%80%93clonic_seizure

How much do you pay for Keppra?

Generic: 60 pills, 750mg = $25

Brand: 60 pills, 500mg = $206

This is with some assistance available in New York https://nyprescriptionsaver.fhsc.com/asp/druglisting.asp

• 3 weeks later...