The new 'Fantastic Fungi' documentary

Hey everyone,

This is more like a rant post or an "open to discussion/what are your ideas" kind of topic post but has anyone seen the new documentary on Netflix called 'Fantastic Fungi'? I had to watch it with family members who recommended that I watch it and it was super triggering to watch. What starts out like a interesting watch about how fungi and mycelium can help the world and environment (e.g. cleaning up oil spills, getting rid of carbon emissions, allowing plants to grow) then turns into what feels like a push for this pro-psychadelic usage for medicine specifically magic mushrooms. I tried to be open minded because the people around me thought I would appreciate it given my mental health concerns but it only made me frustrated and angry watching it. How could people claim to be healed from their anxiety and depression from clinical trials with magic mushrooms!? Anyways so the rest of the documentary was focused primarily in this territory and began talking about how one of the expert's mom was healed from cancer because of eating a mushroom apparently (ok I guess that's different). I don't know. It got me worked up because I guess it's exactly why I chose to take Shrooms - to heal me mentally. I decided to step away from pharmaceutical meds for the first time and took Shrooms only twice and instead of feeling rejuvenated - it only ended up ruining my life basically (this was 5 years ago). I can't really think of a time since then where I've been the same or gotten that happiness back. The reason I went off meds at the time and thought I would take a mushroom trip was I was feeling good without the need of medication and wanted to explore myself deeply a little more (e.g. goals, values and passions of life). I kept on thinking while watching this documentary (because I remember one of the expert's literally encouraging anyone who is watching to trip on mushrooms) yeah but what about people like me... People with HPPD... Where we took mushrooms and it ended up being worse than any kind of pharmaceutical or hospital experience that we've ever had to go through. Anyways, this was a rant and a half but if you want to get angry or just get frustrated emotionally I recommend watching this documentary (a.k.a please don't watch it unless you want to put stress on yourself). That is... Unless your curious about it and what the pro-psychadelic side has to say... I know there are probably a few people now or people who previously thought this way on this website. I mean the first half is actually really interesting and the visuals (no pun intended) are gorgeous but the second half just got be really flustered. For those who have seen this I'm excited to hear what opinions you have regarding the film? 

- whyohwhy

Oh damn, I just checked.. apparently it has a 100% on rotten tomatoes. Ay yai Yai 

Completely agree with everything you're saying, there is a lot of pharmaceutical presence trying to push agendas for these types of "treatments". They often ignore HPPD outcomes in studies as well. Hopefully your family is smart enough to understand that most of medical science understands very little about medicine or the body etc. The very idea of using hallucinogens as a treatment for say depression and such is an atrocious idea, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find people who have said heroin has relieved their depression, I'm sure you can find a person that said murdering people helps their depression lol. That's the problem though our condition is so rare, and maybe some people do feel different after, most people don't get HPPD, so its the catch 22, and people don't care about the real truth until it happens to them. It is disgusting however that medical "science" is pushing these drugs as a route for treatment, I do believe if anything this should make it quite clear to anyone that modern medicine has practically zero idea what they are doing, and know next to nothing about real medical treatment. I've talked to a great deal of doctors that by the end of the conversation all they appeared to know about anything was the name of pharmaceutical drugs and what conditions to prescribe them for. I can elaborate on all that much further with innumerable examples, but its exhausting. Definitely understand your wanting to rant about it though. 

• Upvote 1

I did find the program ridiculously biased, but I do personally know people who have seen amazing results from proper, therapeutic mushroom doses. Every medicine has side effects and a seemingly rare side effect of mushrooms is hppd. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You know we have to remember that we represent a really tiny minority of people who got fucked by HPPD.

I think for most people under right conditions mushrooms can be a powerful medicine.

They should at least mention the risk of HPPD and what it entails though.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...