Sleep Paralysis and HPPD - Poll

18 members have voted

1. 1. Have you noticed an increase in sleep paralysis since the onset of HPPD?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

i only experience that one time, and it was long ago, pre hppd. Was one of the most horrible things i've experience, i cant move my entire body and i freak out and think about aliens... i see some strange face on the roof, like a cyclop. I was completely 0 drug, 0 alcohol. All did happen in my mind.

• 1 month later...

I've experienced sleep paralysis on occasion ever since I was a child, in fact to this day I self-medicate with cannabis in order to avoid it. I can't say whether HPPD has made it worse or not, but I did have some trouble with it during the months I quit smoking weed after going through serotonin syndrome. Sleep paralysis is pretty much the main thing that is keeping me from quitting cannabis use.

• 1 month later...

i get it sometimes with a rushing ticklish accelerating buzzing sensation. It once ended in a brief out-of body. Massively reduced after takin nac, now only really if hungover and sleeping during the day, or, funnily enough, when i stop taking keppra. I remember pre-nac i kept a bottle of whiskey next to my bed just because pre-sleep anxiety/wierd rushing sensation would be so bad i would need a swig to calm me down. I forget sometimes how much nac has improved my life and how bad i was. I'm not scared of the sensations now, and although accompanied by a fairly sinister feeling, there is not the intense anxiety and loss of control.

I began getting sleep paralysis after HPPD, and I also got very intense dreams and nightmares.

The most terrifying sleep paralysis I had happened like this: I woke up in my bed, and the daylight coming in through the windows was eclipsed. There was a shadow standing behind the curtains to the entrance of my room, babbling incoherently. After that the curtains opened and in came the most disgusting shape; a child-like, squatting, greyish and slippery eyeless and noseless thing. It jumped on me and uttered the most ear-shattering scream. I could only move my eyes during this time. I awoke for real in a puddle of cold perspiration, my heart and breathing were racing. Took a whole day and some benzos to calm down..

I have noticed a connection between increases in anxiety and probability of getting sleep paralysis. This particular sleep paralysis happened in a most distressful time.

I had sleep paralysis once or twice before hppd, when i had a heavy binge on alcohol, i was awake in my room but i wasnt and i was convulsing, i never figured out whether it was a dream or not. That being said it was after the period of time i used 2-cb but before hppd, i have had it once since hppd but it was the 3-4 days after my last drink and i was once again awake in a room and couldnt wake up, trapped in a layered dream and couldnt discern real from dream or whether or not i was actually awake. It is intense and scary and i hope it never happens again

• 1 month later...

I started getting sleep paralysis shortly after I got HPPD, and to my knowledge I'd never had it before. Every time it used to happen I thought I was on DXM or diphenhydramine or something until I finally fully woke up, and that made me sad. That still happens occasionally, but most of the time it doesn't really concern me now. I'm fairly practiced at lucid dreaming now so that probably contributes to my passiveness about it, it was really freaky at first and could get uncomfortable but now I usually know what's happening or just go along with it.

I started getting sleep paralysis shortly after I got HPPD, and to my knowledge I'd never had it before. Every time it used to happen I thought I was on DXM or diphenhydramine or something until I finally fully woke up, and that made me sad. That still happens occasionally, but most of the time it doesn't really concern me now. I'm fairly practiced at lucid dreaming now so that probably contributes to my passiveness about it, it was really freaky at first and could get uncomfortable but now I usually know what's happening or just go along with it.

I have heard this happens with Diph induced HPPD fairly often. Try taking some Valerian Root. I love that stuff, I dream vividly though. So, I do not know how that would affect your paralysis. I used to get paralysis when I stayed up late and did strenuous activities. Never thought much of it. I guess it may have been early warnings of HPPD. Though, I think people get it fairly often. I have always loved dreaming. So it never bothered me. I'm always near the ocean in those dreams, which is weird because I hate the beach. Doesn happen to me too much now. It was always sort of fun though, feeling stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah yet I think the sleep paraylsis may be from the meds we take, too. When I had my first bout with HPPD, it didn't start with sleep paralysis but developed after taking desiprimine and stopping klonopin but who knows. I don't have it this time (I relapsed secondhand pot) and am not taking anything.