Video games and screen usage.

Davidmckeon22

I personally dont have any visual symptoms anymore, so I cant really comment on that part, but I suppose if you are playing game that increases adrenaline, it could definitely cause symptoms to get worse, i do remember too sometimes in movie theaters my anxiety would get worse. Most of my HPPD only manifests as anxiety anymore, but I had all the typical symptoms, and my anxiety was so bad it was insane, like suicide influencing insane, not like normal anxiety, cause Ive experienced that before.

I don't play video games, but I watch my share of movies.  I honestly don't notice visuals when I'm watching the screen.  As I've said before, when I'm focused, my visuals aren't apparent.  I guess watching movies keeps me focused enough to shut them down.  

When I first developed HPPD, I had a really difficult time watching movies, it made DP/DR much worse for me. Fast-paced video games were the same. I ended up being able to play slower-paced video games, but only if I took periodic breaks.

Some months back I had a temporary reassurance of symptoms, and the same thing happened. I also feel that if you have a high refresh-rate monitor, it can make matters worse. I own one and would frequently change from the high refresh rate down to 60-85hz to prevent over-excitation based on looking at the screen.

Now, during benzo withdrawal, I'm having those same symptoms again.

I guess this goes to show how different it can be between people with the same disorder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It's worth noting that the impact of screen usage on HPPD symptoms can vary from person to person.
If you've been dealing with this issue for a while, it's essential to find a balance between screen time and your well-being. Additionally, if you're still interested in gaming, you can explore cash games as a way to have fun and potentially earn some extra income.
Remember to prioritize your health and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns about HPPD or its relationship to screen usage. Take care!

Edited by Sabastyany

On 1/16/2021 at 7:20 AM, Fawkinchit said:

I personally dont have any visual symptoms anymore, so I cant really comment on that part, but I suppose if you are playing game that increases adrenaline, it could definitely cause symptoms to get worse, i do remember too sometimes in movie theaters my anxiety would get worse. Most of my HPPD only manifests as anxiety anymore, but I had all the typical symptoms, and my anxiety was so bad it was insane, like suicide influencing insane, not like normal anxiety, cause Ive experienced that before.

how did you get rid of visual symptoms?

• 1 month later...

That's a valid concern you've raised. While there isn't a definitive link between playing video games and worsening HPPD symptoms, it's essential to consider how excessive screen time may affect your overall well-being. It's possible that prolonged exposure to screens could strain your eyes or impact your mental health, which might indirectly influence HPPD symptoms.
Also, if you're interested in making productive use of your screen time, you might want to explore Apps That Pay You Real Money. These apps offer various opportunities to earn extra cash while using your devices, which can be a beneficial way to spend your time.

Edited by Taurinoss

• 1 month later...

When I first got HPPD I watched a lot of movies and TV because it calmed my visual symptoms. But I do remember feeling “disoriented” (derealization) afterwards, especially coming out of a movie theater.

• 1 month later...

That's an interesting question. I've had my fair share of screen time and gaming sessions, and I've wondered about their effects too. Speaking of which, I recently came across this game called Bingo. It's like a breath of fresh air compared to intense gaming. Made me ponder, "Could Bingo Cash be a better alternative?" It's all about finding that balance, right?

Edited by TaliaHolland

I used to be a hardcore gamer, and I did notice a bit of a spike in my symptoms after long gaming sessions. It was like my visual snow got a bit more intense temporarily. I found taking breaks and adjusting screen brightness helped. On a side note, I recently stumbled upon this finance blog, Joy Wallet, while tweaking my budget. Their tips surprisingly helped me afford a better monitor with less eye strain.

Edited by BlondIffy