Effexor XR

John Smith

Hey guys, i got referred to a psychiatrist who has actually dealt with DP and DR and he told me that he's dealt with a few people whove gotten it from MDMA in the past. Hes thinking about prescribing Effexor XR since that supposedly deals with the anxiety siide making it easier to cope with the DR. Might tell him about keppra, im still kinda undecided about whether i should go on meds.

Ideally i wouldnt want to, but im graduating soon, and i cant picture myself gettin a corporate job or somethin with this shit lingering over me. What are your experiences with Effexor, just wondering? Reading about it on wikipedia makes me not wanna try it at all.

• Upvote 2

Ben gleib does a hillarious bit on adverts saying theres never a better time to speak to ur doctor about certain drugs etc. And hes saying are we supposed to be recommending medicines our docotr give us. But with disorders like ours we actually fucking have to. Its a pretty frightening situation for me. Let us know if u decide to try this stuff

• Upvote 1

SNRI's and SSRI's make things worse. Actually, the serotonin system seems to be particularly sensitive in HPPD'ers. Such drugs will rather INCREASE DP/DR in a HPPD'er. I had Zoloft (an SSRI) once and it was a god awful experience. Like having a bad trip without visuals. Since I got a supervisor doctor who studied the disorder (HPPD) and diagnosed me with it, he said that all serotonergic drugs were an inapropriate medication to use with HPPD.

DP/DR seems to be an inescapable companion to HPPD, which in the end only can be coped with, not medicated away.

So I would not recommend Effexor. Ask your doctor to research about HPPD before throwing meds at you.

One of the problems with SSRIs and SNRIs is that in spite of how you feel on them, doctors insist that you give it at least 2 months to adjust and see if it works. Another is the dosage recommended by the pharmaceuticals (and thus written by your doctor). While these meds are considered relatively safe for most people, ours may be a different lot.

My experience with SSRIs (Zoloft and Lexapro) is they increase anxiety. This physiology for some is known to psychiatrists. While each person is different (and apparently the famous Dr A does not say you cannot take a SSRI), I have to agree with 415. If there is relevance to 'dopamine' and 'brain injury' theories, then these are opposite of what most HPPDers need.

My experience with Effexor was very bad even though using a graduated blister-pack (low dosage). By day 8, had to stop. Terrible headaches for 2 months. Afterwards, some cognitive functions were damaged - it has been 1 1/2 years and they haven't resolved. While it could be coincidence, it is a serious possibility.

Anxiety can be a response to situations. It can also be a symptom. Chronic anxiety is about being out of control. IMO it is best addressed by learning to change ones thinking. Seeing a counselor to get an outside perspective to identify wrong thinking patterns. To learn to view life as 'the glass is half-full'.

Then if still needed, use short term anxiety meds (benzos) to take the edge off and gain control. If the situation is too persistent/severe, then look at meds that calm the sympathetic nervous system. Save SSRIs and SNRI as last ditch effort. But if you are able to continue in work or school, then you already have some control over anxiety - try the non-long-term-meds-methods first.

I tried Effexor and was very ill, I wouldn't recommend it... But as you know, we all reacte differently to these meds... But SSRIs and such seem to make things worse for the majority.

Mainly anxiety, nausea, an increase in visuals and just a general chemical feeling in my body. The doctor as good as forced me to stay on it for 3 months, not a nice experience.

Yea, I think a well managed Klonopin system can work wonders. You just have to be very strong willed. Today is a good example, I had a phone interview with a company to work for them as an iPhone app designer.... I did 1mg of klono to get over the anxiety of the interview and it went really well.... Now I have that initial call out of the way, I wont need klono again, as I feel comfortable chatting with the guy.... It is just that 1st call that would freak me out, without klono.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

After 2 years its hard to remember what I was thinking, lol.

However, what you list could be useful.  Ironically, levodopa can be as well.  Then anti-seizure meds can help.

If a person isn't sleeping well, then things to help sleep would be good.  While I can't take much Keppra, a small piece just before bed can really be very helpful.

Of course CBT can help a person 'control' some of their stress response ... but with HPPD, there often is excessive brain activity, and not just visual stuff.  Attention/focus/sleep can be significant problem areas and are directly related to anxiety.  Also, all 'mood states' are 'gated' through this same area.  See locus coruleus.  These two blue 'spots' are main targets for SNRIs.