Back after 6 years (!) - Long time HPPD-er

hppdsince1974-2

Hello everybody. I want to apologize for being away so long. I started to become very active in 2014, but I got sidetracked and swept away by other events but now I am back. My story started in 1974, and I was probably among the first wave of HPPD sufferers, at a time when only the flashbacks were discussed, and anybody who is having any symptoms related to taking hallucinogens suggest branded as psychotic.

My story is on here somewhere else under my previous username "HPPDSince1974" - I struggled with HPPD for many many years and eventually got it under control by of course stopping all my substance use, tried to take as good care of myself as possible, lots and lots of therapy, stubbornness, persistence, patience. I probably really turned the corner by around 1990, possibly helped by some other treatments I received for a related condition but not HPPD.

I've been able to stay functional, after the first round of incredible suffering the last many months. The recovery was really slow at first but I eventually developed a career, family, I have lived a reasonably normal life, although, I'm definitely different than most people.

If you have questions feel free to send me a message. I limit the details of my personal story online but if I can be of any assistance or service to you I am here. I'm definitely not any kind of doctor, but I am definitely an expert with HPPD.  It has been 45 years since its onset, and for 20 years I have barely noticed it, so recovery is possible; a good life as possible; life will still happen and of course life can be tough, but you don't have to be owned by HPPD.

May you be safe, and at peace

• Like 1

Our stories sound similar.  I fist dosed in 1973, i was almost 14 years old and thought I knew everything.  How drugs like LSD were available to a kid of 13 is beyond me.  By the time I was 20, I figured it was time to hang it up.  I struggled with hppd, and still do.  I also have a remarkably "normal" life.  I've been married for almost 40 years and have two great kids (kids in their mid-30s).  I refer to myself as a "misplaced alien".  My view of the world, reality, humor, etc.  Is definitely strange.  I'm certain the truck load of psychedelics i took had something to do with that.

Over the years I've adopted tequniques to control my symptoms, but they're certainly not a cure.  My visuals are still distracting.

Thank you for posting!