Dopamine may repair damaged connecting axons in vegative and minimally conscious patients

They think dopamine may stimulate the brain to repair the damaged connections.

Apomorphine, a potent agnoist, was used. In these cases they believe it would be more effective than levedopa, because the body's ability to convert levedopa into dopamine may be impaired.

http://www.scientifi...mine-vegetative

Drug management was implemented without any problems. There was improvement in the primary outcomes for all patients. Awakening was seen as rapidly as within the first 24 hours of drug administration and as late as 4 weeks. Seven of the patients had completely recovered consciousness. All improvements were sustained for at least 1 year, even after apomorphine was discontinued. Drug-related adverse events were all anticipated and resolved after the dose was reduced.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20235766

A clinical trial is currently taking place with 76 patients: http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT00761228

------------------

Interesting that Visual attributes Sinemet for some permanent improvement. I also remember reading about another user on here who sustained improvements for a week after taking part in the Dr. Abraham medication trial.

Obviously, our situation is very different from these types of patients. But it is interesting nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps we should have a thread dedicated to understaing dopamine, it's role in the brian, research articles, etc - and do the same with other neurotransmitters that may have a role to play.

The effects of Sinemet (levodopa + carbidopa) on 12 patients with head injury with diffuse brain damage were evaluated. All patients had suffered moderate to severe traumatic brain injury resulting in physical, cognitive, communicative, emotional and behavioural deficits. All patients had plateaued in their rehabilitation programmes for more than 2 weeks before initiation of Sinemet. All patients showed functional cognitive and behavioural improvement with Sinemet. The degree of improvement appears to depend on the pre-treatment condition and the time between injury and treatment. Larger controlled studies are recommended.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2458792

Dopamine may repair damaged connecting axons in vegetative and minimally conscious patients

Perhaps we would get better faster if we went into a persistent vegetative state for a while ...

VegetativeState.jpg

On a more serious note, a neurologist told my primary to try me on amantadine but the latter was too nervous (though the med is mild). Have a new primary now and may try this one later. But have tried other dopamine increasing meds besides levodopa (Sinemet) - requip, selegeline, wellbutrin, and a COMT inhibitor.

At anyrate, the neurologist was familiar with using dopamine agonists for brain injuries. He said, too bad I didn't meet him 2 years earlier (as I already had found this out) and that it is common to use these.

Dopamine may repair damaged connecting axons in vegetative and minimally conscious patients

Perhaps we would get better faster if we went into a persistent vegetative state for a while ...

VegetativeState.jpg

On a more serious note, a neurologist told my primary to try me on amantadine but the latter was too nervous (though the med is mild). Have a new primary now and may try this one later. But have tried other dopamine increasing meds besides levodopa (Sinemet) - requip, selegeline, wellbutrin, and a COMT inhibitor.

At anyrate, the neurologist was familiar with using dopamine agonists for brain injuries. He said, too bad I didn't meet him 2 years earlier (as I already had found this out) and that it is common to use these.

In my country amantadine is used recreatonally as a hallucinongen dissociative, and it is weak NMDA anagonists, which i suppose are harmful for HPPD sufferers.

Seems everything imaginable is used recreationally. Flexeril (mellow yellow), NMDA (anaesthetic), gasoline, cough syrup, and even injecting ice cold water into the veins and watching a person convulse.

However, it seems that drinking ice water in 'controlled' amounts is perfectly safe. But you never know ... maybe water should be a controlled substance obtainable only by prescription. Afterall, some people have died in water drinking contests (electrolyte imbalance). Water has been used in torture. And enema bags, wow, those things should be banned - look what it did to Sybil.

They could even make out-patient-clinics to drive up to whenever a person feels dehydrated. Optional colors and flavoring could be added for public appeal. Competition would keep the price low.

"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce,

Special orders don't upset us,

All we ask is that you let us have it your way.

Have it YOUR way, at Hydro-King.

Have it ..."

I must admit I'm addicted to water ... really feel like crap without it, killer withdrawals ... just don't have enough will power to break free ... there is nothing quite like the pure stuff! Sometimes you just got to super-size-it !!!

• Upvote 1

Currently (with doctors blessing) am trying low amounts of hydrocodone - 1/4 pill 3 times a day.

I do not find any dopamine effect (improvement) on visuals. There is in fact an opposite effect in acuity (sharpness). Vision is not so clear, but this resolves if I skip a couple doses. It isn't bothersome as reading, etc are fine. Also with less sharpness, ghosting (while the same) is less bothersome. DR is also less bothersome.

Nonvisual effects are that I can function longer each day. Also breathing is easier (antitussive). When taking this I don't need any anti-siezures (so only take Sinemet). Generally 'feel' better (mood stabilizing) but depression is a little bit worse.

Currently (with doctors blessing) am trying low amounts of hydrocodone - 1/4 pill 3 times a day.

I do not find any dopamine effect (improvement) on visuals. There is in fact an opposite effect in acuity (sharpness). Vision is not so clear, but this resolves if I skip a couple doses. It isn't bothersome as reading, etc are fine. Also with less sharpness, ghosting (while the same) is less bothersome. DR is also less bothersome.

Nonvisual effects are that I can function longer each day. Also breathing is easier (antitussive). When taking this I don't need any anti-siezures (so only take Sinemet). Generally 'feel' better (mood stabilizing) but depression is a little bit worse.

Interesting results. Do you mind keeping your progress updated on the site?

Maybe a little OT but wouldn't you be able to totally fry your receptors so the brain can make new ones or does the brain create new receptors?

What is OT?

While the brain does create new synapsis, you never want to fry out the existing ones

Try to post all the 'guinea piging' so as to help people. Most haven't got to try lots of different meds - it is a pain in the ass to get good things prescribed.

As far as visuals, it seems that overall contrast control is better in a way ... and worse in another.

The 'better' is that the adjustment for seeing in different lighting situations (which improved greatly with Sinemet) is even better.

The 'worse' is that contrast seems a bit higher which borders on the 'shimmering'/'glassy' type of descriptions you sometimes hear of. It is hard to describe since it isn't shimmering and it isn't glass. And perhaps DR is slightly better.

A plus for non-visuals is that I seem to get an addition 1/2 hour of functioning before the gray matter locks up.

All of this is subtle. Definately think this is good exersize.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a few days ago started feeling 'off' and signs of needing Gabapentin. Switched off hydrocodone and back to Gabapentin. So even though I can switch to opioids, there are areas not covered. BTW, the hydrocodone in use was Vicoprofen 7.5/200.

A curious thing too is that the ghosting in the left eye has reduced by 50% ... it got worse starting in January but just returned to what it has been in recent years.