Why is this forum so dead?

Especially after the article in The Independent, I don't understand why so few people use this forum, I was expecting an influx of new people joining.

I know I must seem obsessed with it, but I realize the reddit sub-forum r/HPPD is very active, but considering what bad/inaccurate advice they give, I feel like it would be worth it to flood them with posts explaining how they don't know what they're talking about, and to come here for accurate info. Obviously any account that does this will be banned, but it's worth it if even a few people see it before the post is deleted, and it's easy to keep signing back up under new free email addresses on Google or whatever and just essentially spam them with this stuff. People with this condition need to be able to get accurate information.

It’s dead because past venting, looking at treatment options and finally accepting this condition, not much else is offered here. 

I think it's quiet here because of /hppd and other social ways of grouping (there are loads of HPPD discord groups, for example). There is a downward trend among many dedicated forums, not just here. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jay1 said:

I think it's quiet here because of /hppd and other social ways of grouping (there are loads of HPPD discord groups, for example). There is a downward trend among many dedicated forums, not just here. 

Good point. Dedicated forums do indeed seem to be on their way out. It's a shame but I do get it.

Maybe it's a good thing to let /hppd have all the "hey, i've had hppd for 26.5 hours now and was thinking about combining LSD and crack while shoving salvia up my ass, will this make me better or worse" posters 😅

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think i've censored one post in my 10+ years as admin (the one about drinking fucking bleach).

As for you first sentence... the forum helped me immensely and I get PMs a lot saying that the forum has been a great help.

Maybe take your negativity to reddit?

edit - haha, I just realised you are the plum trying to pimp said bleach. 

• Upvote 1

That gave me a good laugh (both posts).

I was wondering where that bleach post went...after reading that my head practically exploded at the stupidity being given as advice.

For the record bleach-guy: you have likely shortened your life due to the retarded treatment you chose. God only knows what's going to end up happening to you. Most people know that bleach is a tad toxic...

Its hard to know why things are quiet.  I myself am here only occasionally in recent years.  Like Jay mentioned, it can be helpful to talk with others who suffer the same things - to those who haven't, some of this stuff in incomprehensible to them.

If one can keep their head cool and patiently look at what has helped others (which is quite varied), then one can try things that might help.  ( No bleach though )

Perhaps Covid19 and the hatred that has been stirred up between people in recent years ... there isn't as much participation in forums dedicated to actually help.  On some forums that I've visited over the last year, somehow every conversation gets turned political: either loving Hilary or Trump.  It is ridiculous.  But far worse, it is as if people have given their minds over to demons or other toxic personages.

This forum is really a great resource and many have worked hard to help others.  Take advantage of this kindness in a good way.  And keep ego at bay to learn and perhaps contribute.   HPPD is multifaceted and what works for one doesn't work for others with regards medications, diets, and supplements.

My thoughts as a newcomer. 

I'm grateful sites like this exist.  It's incredibly valuable considering the rare nature of this disorder and the fact that there is no one place you can go to get information regarding this disorder.  Even though it's included in the DSM most doctors still have no clue and therefore don't know what may or may not make it worse.

Of course you've got to use your best judgment when listening to opinions here (cue the bleach dude).  Even if the forum isn't as active though it's still has been really helpful for me being able to search back and find what helped or hindered those in the past.

This shit blows, but at least there's a place I can go that makes me feel less alone in this. It also acts as an archive of self reported data from people from around the world who have already been there tried that when considering my options as I move forward with this new burden.

• Like 1