MMDA/R - TMS

I have engaged in many many binge drinking episodes over the last decade or so and began to suffer panic attacks during withdrawal as a result. Hypersensitive receptors? Maybe. 

I developed HPPD with comorbid DP/DR in 2005 so have a feeling that all of the negative psychological symptoms are linked to this neurological disorder.

I have tried SSRIs which did naught to help my psychological problems whilst increasing my visual symptoms and am currently on lamictal (100mg) for five weeks which doesn't seem to be demonstrating much efficacy thus far.

I have been reading about the damage binge drinking can cause to our NMDA/R and am wondering if the NMDA/R might also be linked to my HPPD/DP/DR.

I also suffer from trichotillomania if that is relevant at all. 

Would TMS be useful if the NMDA is implicated in what ails me? TMS on the PFC of perhaps another area of the brain?

I know positive thinking/acceptance/exercise etc. are very useful at helping on live with this conditions but really think I need the expertise of a neurologist/psychiatrist to truly make somewhat of a recovery from these disorders. 

Thanks for all of your help and thank you for reading.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your glutamate/gaba ratio is out of whack. Kava helped me with this but it’s not a perfect solution. I used root of happiness kava.

i would experiment with naltrexone. When I drink, I get rebound anxiety even after one heavy night. Naltrexone takes care of 80-90 percent of that anxiety. Why? Who knows. Opioid receptors play an important role in disassociation and thus anxiety. 

also, I would take DHM when you drink. It will help with your hangovers and help prevent your gaba receptors from getting fucked. 

Thanks for the advice. Living in a country currently where I very much doubt I can get naltrexone from a shrink but will look into it.

I didn't have much hope for the SSRIs but decided to respect my first shrinks expertise and go along with it thinking I had nothing to lose. 

Reawakened my dormant HPPD symptoms and did nothing to diminish my paranoia/DP etc. which I've had ever since I went on a major drinking binge last August. Used to have these feelings for a day or two. Now it's been 8 months or so.

No clue why. The lamictal not helping made me jump on the NMDA theory but maybe I'm chasing rainbows. 

Did try kava capsules to little effect. Perhaps the teas or tinctures etc. might be worth a shot.

The capsules tend to be in effective and sometimes dangerous. It’s important to get a good supplier who only uses roots or “noble” kava. Extracts and pills often contain “Tudei” or “two day” kava which is made from the leaves and plant above ground. These parts of the plant contain toxic chemicals to the liver. that being said I’ve tried the pills and teas and they were very ineffective.

The teas especially don’t work as kava is not water solvable and must me kneaded by hand to release the active ingredients called kavalactones. I usually take 2-4 tablespoons and knead it in a mesh bad in warm water for 15 min. I mix in coconut milk, cinnamon,  vanilla extract, and stevia to mine and it makes it much more palatable. 

I should mention that I’ve tried kava twice—once a year after getting hppd and once again 6 years after. The first time if I drank it three days in a row I would get a strange type of Constant anxiety so I stopped. 6 years later I noticed that one month into drinking it I got the same anxiety but as an attack that would last for thirty minutes the day after drinking it. This time I pushed through it because the benefits were so profound on my psyche I didn’t mind. The anxiety stopped after about two weeks. What I’m saying is I think there can be some rebound anxiety with it but it’s transient and will abate after continuous use. 

kava should be cycled though I think. I did better with it when I did 1-2 days on and 1-2 days off. Once I used it everyday then tolerance set in and eventually I got little immediate effects from it... however the next day antidepressant effects remained so I continued to drink it for some time until I began a new medication that interacted with it (extreme nausea and vomiting 🤮 ) and now I can no longer tolerate it. 

shame to hear about the naltrexone! It’s a very safe and benign drug. You may be able to find it on the internet but I don’t know the legality of that where you are. In the United States, it’s technically considered over the counter and legal to sell without a prescription.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. It sounds like you've been through a lot and I can empathize with how challenging it must be to navigate all of this. I also wanted to mention that I've read that kava has been helpful for some people in managing anxiety and other mental health issues. If you're interested in learning more about kava, I found this great resource that has information about the best kava drinks and the benefits of kava https://bestkavabar.com/best-kava-drinks/. It's worth considering as an additional option if you're looking for more natural ways to manage your symptoms.
I hope you're able to find some relief soon. Wishing you all the best!

Edited by Raymondello