Maybe time is the only cure(upregulation 5ht2a)

Kris

After trying trazodon and getting over the anxiety hppd gave me, i read from sources on this forum and research papers on  ssris and risperidone also causing hppd like symptoms.Since the receptors became down regulated by stimulation maybe not engaging them in any way including antidepressants and antipsychotics is the only way to upregulate them and resolve symptoms.Also seems like these chemicals are dangerous as they further downregulate receptors.The only chemical i found that upregulates 5ht2a is THC in marijuana and we all know that makes people hallucinate maybe because of excessive upregulation which later leads to down regulation. At any rate hppd is mostly about the anxiety the feeling of loneliness and fear of dying experienced during trips. So i think treating that anxiety and letting the mind regulate itself is the best medicine. The down regulation mechanism itself happens because the brain wants to have less available 5ht2a receptors for chemicals such as mdma and lsd to bind to in order to avoid hallucination. This also explains why relapse of hppd after being cured is stronger and harder to fix.The chemicals bind to the new receptors which are less than before and further down regulate them.From this information i hypothesize that if hallucination persists because of visual disinhibition the brain in time will correct itself given the right nutrition and less stress.Just some thoughts i had i think this also explains all the cases that just hung in there hallucinating and got cured naturally. I also saw myself in this situation as my symptoms are 30 to 40 percent better now and bearable i fixed my nutrition and made my life less stressful.So good luck to everyone keep the beast in check :)

Edited by Kris

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds very reasonable, there is some truth in this, many articles write about treatment for symptoms after 3 months or half year, but what about those whose condition only worsened over time?  This is very scary, because for example, I feel that my symptoms are progressing despite the correct (probably) treatment.  This is very scary because I can’t know if everything will worsen over time.  I dont  known what the worsening of symptoms over time may be associated with, it may be aggravated by stress and fears, as many who have worsened continued to use drugs(stuff). 

But all I have now is watching my visual symptoms getting worse, and thats why the stress and sadness getting bigger. 

In the case of this i think neuroplasticity is to blame,brain cells always fight for food and those hppd cells are firing again and again to avoid their death.If you treat the anxiety by relaxing do you get some relief for your symptoms? I owe my cured state to not caring about my hppd anymore. I only have visual snow maybe that will become less over time as well.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2020 at 10:31 AM, twilight sparkle said:

This sounds very reasonable, there is some truth in this, many articles write about treatment for symptoms after 3 months or half year, but what about those whose condition only worsened over time?  This is very scary, because for example, I feel that my symptoms are progressing despite the correct (probably) treatment.  This is very scary because I can’t know if everything will worsen over time.  I dont  known what the worsening of symptoms over time may be associated with, it may be aggravated by stress and fears, as many who have worsened continued to use drugs(stuff). 

But all I have now is watching my visual symptoms getting worse, and thats why the stress and sadness getting bigger. 

Please do not use illegal drugs and drink moderately. The ripples in the pound will eventually flatten out and your mind will find new focus and that Is the key . Nothing focuses the mind more than HPPD,  you have to find another focus. Its hard but the benefits are hugely positive . Its a roller-coaster but if you ride it everyday eventually the thrill dissipates.

Take care. find focus. stay positive and do not fall into the trap of believing its a mental illness or you have freaked out or you are no longer normal .That stuff in my opinion is all bull. For me HPPD is heightened sense of visual and auditory and sensory input. Which has the physical  downside of fatigue headaches and muscular pain caused by the the over excitement of neurons caused by the drugs .

Best Wishes. Good luck   

• Thanks 1