Schedule for Clonazepam use - reduces my VS, palinopsia, afterimages

sami

Just wanted to share that I've had a very rough time past few weeks. Since I have deteriorating HPPD that started 1.5 yrs I was coming to a point now that I had started to lose all hope, and suicidal thoughts started to plague me, especially because of the increase my tinnitus past month, which made life unbearable.

So yesterday I gave up, visited my psychiatric MD, and said I am ready to give up. Clonazepam has been the last thing on my list to try since I have had issues with a benzodiazepine addiction a few years ago, but I asked for it.

We spoke about setting up a schedule. During weekdays, when I work, I take a dose in the morning and one in the evening. Started with 0.5mg yesterday evening and felt nothing. I took another 0.5mg before bed. Nothing.

Took 1mg today in the morning and a few hours later, major change. 50% reduction of VS and pattern glare/motion. Unless I really focus I can't see it at all when there are lights or during day light. Afterimages seem completely gone. Palinopsia is a lot better too. Slight improvment on ghosting.

No change with tinnitus, floaters.

I took another 1mg now in the evening, and that turned out to be too much. Now I am dizzy and tired. Feel a bit drunk.

My plan is to have it on a schedule. Four weekdays when I work, then be off them for the weekends. Then have a full week off every now and then. I hope it to be a temporary solution. Trying some other meds too. Tried Diamox. No change. Keppra is on the list but gonna try something called Topimax first. It's my neurologist who decides.

How does the schedule sound? What kind of schedules do you do to deal with addiction and tolerance increase?

Edited by sami

Hey Sami. Glad to hear clonazepam worked. It's the only thing that works for me

I try my best to stick with 3 days on, 4 days off... but do sometimes do 4 days on, 3 days off and it seems to be ok (i try to do 10 days off every 2-3 months). At first, i took 2mg, as that really helped my visuals, but after a while, I realised that 1mg was often enough to help with anxiety, without doing much for my visuals. I think this lower dose has helped me stay tolerance/addiction free (though i do sometimes take 1.5mg and even 2mg on occasion). I tend to take the full dose as soon as I wake up, it lasts all day.

I've stuck to the above for around 10 years now and it has made my life so much better. Even the days off, my anxiety is eased just knowing that I have some anxiety free days coming soon.

Good luck, Jay

Thanks Jay.

I've lowered my dose to 0.25mg in the evening and 0.75mg in the morning now. Seems to work fine. I still get a lot of relief from the visuals, but it doesn't help much with my anxiety, but enough so I don't freak out about the tinnitus all the time. I think that's because I've been on benzos on and off for the past 20 yrs in, and my tolerance is just sky high in regards to anxiety. (I am also kicking Mirtazapine and that causes some insane levels of anxiety, so once I've done that it might get better.) I find it interesting it still helps with my visuals.

Still experimenting with the dosage, trying to find the perfect fit. It makes me quite tired, and 0.75mg in the morning instead of 1mg seemed to benefit a lot in that regard.

I've heard several people mention that taking the full dose in the morning is beneficial, currently though I don't think I can do it because of the fatigue. Maybe that will improve.

The less I need the better it is.

I am just so amazed how the visual snow is reduced this much. It's like I am getting my life back. 

It's a pretty amazing med for HPPD, just a damn shame it is addictive and tolerance building. Hopefully one day, something similar comes out that we can take every day.

The tiredness gets a bit easier, though I can still get that groggy, sinking tiredness with 1mg. (2mg, forget about it!... I take that only when really hungover)

On 11/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, Jay1 said:

Hey Sami. Glad to hear clonazepam worked. It's the only thing that works for me

I try my best to stick with 3 days on, 4 days off... but do sometimes do 4 days on, 3 days off and it seems to be ok (i try to do 10 days off every 2-3 months). At first, i took 2mg, as that really helped my visuals, but after a while, I realised that 1mg was often enough to help with anxiety, without doing much for my visuals. I think this lower dose has helped me stay tolerance/addiction free (though i do sometimes take 1.5mg and even 2mg on occasion). I tend to take the full dose as soon as I wake up, it lasts all day.

I've stuck to the above for around 10 years now and it has made my life so much better. Even the days off, my anxiety is eased just knowing that I have some anxiety free days coming soon.

Good luck, Jay

I've noticed there are substantial differences on the improvement of the visuals even when it comes to minor changes of dose. 0.75mg makes me less tired, easier to get some work done but definitely not as effective when it comes to improving visuals. 1mg gives more relief. Today I took abt 0.8mg in the morning, and 1mg now in the evening and wow, major improvement. I have to try 2mg some day - when I don't have anything important to do - to see what happens, just because I am curious.

Edited by sami

9 hours ago, sami said:

I have to try 2mg some day - when I don't have anything important to do - to see what happens, just because I am curious.

You'll get great visual relief for about an hour until you fall asleep for 8 hours 😅