Long-timer advice...8 Years

John Smith

Hey guys, Ive been reluctant to get on here just because honestly it makes me anxious. ive felt like ive owed it to new sufferers for a while so here I am. My HPPD was actually triggered while reading peoples stories on the site, so thats why it makes me anxious to come on here.

First thing I can say is...CUT ALL CAFFEINE AND DRUGS. Furthermore, many people experience a worsening of symptoms due to the cortisol response of stress. NOTHING makes my symptoms worse than stress, especially as far as DP. I know it's hard, but you can do it.

I have been on Keppra for about 4 years and have managed to have a pretty normal life since. Ive always had addiction issues, so I smoke (weed) and I drink, but I'm sobering up now just like any normal 27 year old to focus on his job. I absolutely do not drink caffeine though.

I had girlfriends, fortune 100 jobs, traveled. My cognitive and personalization symptoms went away, my fatigue (my visual symptoms were never terrible, mostly afterimages, static, etc.) All I can say is, stay positive, DONT STRESS (I know how impossible it is, but just try to find a way) and honestly, I got keppra by lying and saying I have migraines, so do what you have to do. Ive been on 500mg for 2 years and before that 1500 for two. Never had a bad response to it.

Sorry I won't be coming back to answer questions, but hopefully this helps someone out there and gives them some hope.  Once you get past the anger at god, life, the why me? feelings, all that, you will realize that everyone goes through their own shit, that even with this giant disadvantage no-one really knows theres something wrong with you if you dont tell them, and that you can have a semi-regular life and that youll eventually get used to it, might even go away completely if you sober up, know of many cases where this has happened. Good luck y'all. 

• Upvote 1