Curious About Symtoms

Hello all,

I am a newly registered member, though I have been lurking around this sight off and on for the past month or so. 

My brand of HPPD began two months after a psychedelic binge in early January  (supposedly lsd, but who knows/ who cares) directly following a traumatic experience with an edible in March. It's tough to know exactly when things started, but I can say the symptoms began interfering with my life as soon as the panic attacks started in a week after the edible incident. So far the DP/DR, dreamlike state, hypervigilance, and anxiety have been my most apparent and intrusive symptoms, and thankfully, they have receeded tremendously. That's not to say there were not some truly hopeless days, and I still deal with waves of panic often. 

As as far as the visual side of things go, I have not seen much improvement, though it does seem to be a difficult thing to judge objectively, especially since I have only been dealing with this for five months. My only real visual symptoms are positive afterimages and streaking lights, (no VS, no warping/ moving objects, thankfully) and these really only bother me during the night. During the day I only notice them in high contrast settings, like a brief streak trailing behind a clock in a poorly lit room, or light from windows burnt into my eyes for maybe a second. At night they can be very frustrating. I work as a pizza delivery driver, and the tail lights, street lights, headlights, etc all seem to stick in my vision for a second or two, which can be very disorienting and frustrating. 

I realize that visually many of you have it worse than me, and that I am still fairly young in "hppd years." 

That said, I was just curious about your visual symptoms? Particularly with afterimages: How long do the images linger? Do you seem them in all settings? Have any of you had no reduction and still been able to filter them out of your lives? Are they worse at night? Can you drive at night? Have any of you noticed a true, objective decrease in intensity? Has anyone actually completely gotten rid of them?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really just wanted to start a conversation about palinopsia, and how we all experience it. 

-Brian 

Mine are always worse at night, likely due to the high contrasting environments and bright lights. It used to be insanely bad to where lights would literally blur across my entire field of vision when I moved my eyes horizontally, but it's gotten way better over the last few years. Caffeine seems to make these symptoms much worse.