Which supplements do you guys take?

John Smith

Curious,

NAC - anti-oxidant and slight reduction of glutamate (reducing glutamate would be like increasing GABA)

Valerian - binds on GABAA (the benzo site)

Tyrosine - precursor for levodopa

The first two are like Klonopin (only extremely mild). The last one increases dopamine very slightly

This combo (and cycling technique) encourages nerve repair/growth

~5000 mcg of sublingual B12 – 1 week on, 2 weeks off

~1200 mg GPC – 1 week on, 2 weeks off

~3000 mg MSM – 1 week on, do what you want the rest of the time

You got to use good quality ones. Also, take in the morning only

B-complex before exercising or work and melatonin to sleep.

I used to take valerian root but it's not nearly as calming as muscle relaxers from docs (i know not natural) also it hurts my stomach. Kava used to work pretty well but they took it off the shelves because it's hard on the liver or kidneys. Trytophan workd good to relax and helps with the tension headaches a little. Also, banannas help with muscle spasms.

Honestly I live off a couple vicodin and soma a day. Only cause my job is so physically demading and my back kills me! Gotta love Soma:)

Also, banannas help with muscle spasms.

Bananas have dopamine (mainly in the skin). Many years ago, nursing homes used banana skins to make a tonic for people with Parkinson's

I wanted to try rhodiola rosea, but idk, it has an effect on serotonin

Wouldn't worry about a little serotonin ... it isn't poison ... just that many people with HPPD don't do well with serotonin meds. As you see, some people feel Tryptophan help (and Tryptophan is a precuror to serotonin)

Are there possible problems with taking Tryptophan?

Tryptophan is a precursor to Serotonin. But also for the Kynurenine pathway. Increasing tryptophan increases inflammation. If a person is stressed at all, inflammation greatly increases. Prolonged inflammation is considered destructive to your health. So, another lesson about low dosing - even with supplements.

Quality is also an issue. In USA, the supplement was banned because of causing deaths due to poor quality by the manufacturers. (Yes, another lesson about quality). A couple interesting links

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1418026

http://en.wikipedia....yalgia_syndrome

• 3 weeks later...
Quality is also an issue. In USA, the supplement was banned because of causing deaths due to poor quality by the manufacturers. (Yes, another lesson about quality). A couple interesting links

I remember the ban. As I recall the manufacturer skipped some of the purification process and the supplement had a toxic effect on several people. Parkinson like symptoms (did not read the links) As a Chemical Engineer and working with the FDA, this was a big oversight.

When I took Tryptophan at that time, I was generally normal to begin with and the supplement calmed me very well. Now it does not have a positive effect. Either due to my symptoms of possible because the supplement is now pharmacuetical grade for safety reasons. Sometimes a bit of so called impurities (non toxic of coursed) improves the effectiveness.

The right mix of vitamins, minerals ect. is great for your body/mind. The problem is everybodies brain chemisty differs, so there are many supplements that could have the opposite effect on others just like pharmaceuticals (knowing your lab work can help w/ common deficiencies).

If you can find the right combo you're golden but trial and error, not to add some are expensive, especially when you need a specific non generic brand. Some of the amino acids are $50 a bottle..

Also, I've seen Homeopathic Dr's mess ppl up like G.P's. so just listen to your body when trying them.

Has anyone tried hgh human growth hormone has to be injected to really benefit from it. I have not tried it yet but know someone who loves it says it has really brought great effects as far as life,health,energy didn't know if it might help hppd. They also check every blood level to see what else you might need. I'm thinking about this. I try as little as possible I'm just trying to stay above water and get by so I'm very fearful of anything making it worse. I did try TMS.