Question for those who took meds that made symptoms worse

I know that in general, SSRIs, atypical antipsyhotics, and a handful of other drugs often make HPPD worse for most people, but what I've been wondering is the time course it took for symptoms to worsen.

Basically, when it got worse from the meds, how long did it take? Was it instantaneous (day of taking/within hours of taking) or did it take awhile to notice an increase in symptoms (say a couple days to a couple weeks)?

Mainly wondering because my pdoc wants me to try haloperidol, a first generation (typical) antipsychotic since it had some literature support (the 1971 Moskowitz study and A.G. Lerner's clinical review) for treating HPPD and for the fact that I am developing (mild) schizophrenia (I technically am schizophrenic according to the DSM since my mild symptoms persisted for at least 6 months. Also, as a side note, these symptoms were present before I got HPPD, so they may be causing my HPPD or this can be seen as evidence that they're unrelated since the visual symptoms developed spontaneously overnight). I have an appt. with him in just over a week from now, and I want to at least say I've tried it, but I'm sort of afraid to if it's going to make my symptoms worse instantly. I'm not too worried about anxiety and DP/DR since those are pretty much nonexistent right now thanks to clonazepam and lamotrigine (and learning mindfulness and grounding techniques, which I highly recommend if you want to treat your anxiety or DP/DR without meds).

• Upvote 1

As someone who's taken a few meds, lots of vitamins, etc. and has had a worsening of symptoms with virtually everything, I can say it probably takes at least a few days before you'll notice anything. But again, everyone's body chemistry is different and different meds kick in at different times. The important thing to keep in mind is that even if your symptoms do worsen it will only be mildly and the good thing is you can always go off the meds right away if you don't like it.

i never took chemicals from doctors or pharmacies when i had hppd (and still dont do) exept when i was in the hospital for the time of my withdrawl after my hppd started + tramal sometimes afterwards and they all made me always nauseous and made everything including visuals much worse and made me feel really sick to the point i just wanted to die...

but the naturals and vitamins i took have helped me and not just coverd my symptoms i think they are also responsible for the cure of my hppd to a certain degree through long term use.

even though i have no proof what exactly made my hppd go away in the end

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By und3rlif3
      I cut drug use one month ago and my visuals everyday are sligthly worst is that normal guys?
    • By und3rlif3
      Whats is the symptom you (or symptoms) its harder for you to deal with (in my case: palinopsia, DP, Anxiety, uncertainty of where im gonna get, dizzines) ?
    • By Blossy
      Im totally aware I do this but now my kids ( well, my youngest kid! ) has noticed and this has turned into family ' lets poke fun at Dad' thing - if only they knew the cause!! Hah! :-$
      So, anyway, I have a really weird thing, and I quantify if my thinking, if I touch things 'they will be ok and won't start moving again', i.e., start tripping again! I mean, when I'm in the car, I regularly flick/tap the windscreen with my nail on my middle finger, sitting at home I do the same on tables if I'm walking past a wall to the wall, even lying in bed, ill often reach out and trap the wall, also to make sure its all still 'there'!!! My daughter says I often tap my self too, usually on the forehead, I mean, wtf!!! LOL 
      Sometime I STILL have that sinking feeling when you are falling deep into trip, that horrible feeling in your mouth too, and wake up sweating and tap the wall to make sure everything is all right!
      Crazy I know, and note, I'm 27 years into living with HPPD so am pretty long in the tooth, and honestly, since joining this forum, completely at terms with it knowing I am not insane, or crazy, or on an endless trip ( even tho I think I am to an extent ) or the only guy in the world to have had 'this' happen to him!
      Anyway, just one of my MANY brain bending quirks I have after many years of abuse! Double note, 8 years drug ( coke ) free, 20 years Acid and 'E' free. Still enjoy alcohol, and caffeine, and I must confess, taking Vallium on a few long haul flights recently was pure bliss, although also reminded me of some dark times during the 'downers years'!!!
      Anyway, anyway. maybe its just me, thought id throw it our there anyways!
    • By Thomz
      I don't know why I've got hppd, the symptoms started years after my bad trip. I used to smoke a lot of "spice" when I was a teen, one time I had a really bad trip, strange hallucinations, and a panic attack. Years after, hppd like symptoms occured, like trails, afterimages etc, but I can't find a cause except maybe anxiety.
    • By K.cokes
      Ive been accidently dosed like 8 tabs of liquid acid, and stupidly continued "tripping," even after that. So I started noticing a static over my vision, and I thought nothing of it at first. It has gotten much worse, and I haven't taken L.S.D in over a month. It especially gets worse if I'm smoking weed, it literally makes me have acid like visuals. Even without weed I get, tracers, halos around light, I get the pattern formation that forms when you take L, everything looks like it's shifting and melting, my anxiety has gotten progressively worse, I get visual snow, and I have pain behind my eyes sometimes, like a pressure almost, I have really bad after images, pretty much on anything bright, or lit up. Today for example I was driving, and looked at a stop sign when I looked down I saw the stop sign in my vision with my eyes open or closed. Does it ever get better, and is does it mean your brain is ruined?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.