Having HPPD as an advantage

RLS

I've only been around this forum for a week or so but I can already get the sense that only the negative aspects of HPPD is what everyone seems to dwell on. Besides HPPD being something that call tell you that there is something wrong and that you might want to do something about it it's also performing a critical function along with the anxiety that comes with it. I would assume that the brain would have mechanisms to protect itself or rather yourself beyond just what's known about the flight or fight response and that would include giving you every way possible to increase your reaction time. It's not uncommon for some people to feel as if time slows down during a traumatic event but in our case all day everyday time stays the same but we still see some of the visual side effects and probably then some.

My point is that ever since I noticed my HPPD I've been more vigilant and aware of my surroundings and I know it has kept me from harm on many occasions. I'm actually looking forward to playing sports soon and seeing if it gives me the advantage I think it will. Maybe I'm the only weird one who's afraid his symptoms will go away if I have to give up cannabis for school. Maybe I won't need the tracers so much after awhile but I'd rather not have "boring" vision. With or without cannabis I'm sure there's still a chance that once the body feels that the threat is gone the HPPD and even for those people with DP/DR it will fade away.

• Upvote 2

I appreciate you trying to find positives.... But it is really hard for me to find anything positive about the visual distortions... Mine are so bad that I can't drive.... I can't see anything but blue/green movement in my peripheral vision... I can't take pleasure in reading due to the words moving around. I can't watch a movie for more than a few minutes before my vision warps into a tunnel of flashing colours.

The positives I do get are more in terms of the life choices I have been forced into. My body is very health due to my diet and exercise. My love for nature has intensified due to my need to get away from it all. My empathy with others is strong, because I know what suffering is all about.

Maybe I won't need the tracers so much after awhile but I'd rather not have "boring" vision. 

I missed this line on first read and must say that I find it uncomfortable that you fail to grasp how severe these problems can be.   Would you go onto a cancer forum and say you would rather not have "boring" healthy lungs?

Jay, I'd give you two "Like This" stars but it doesn't give me a button to do so.  Probably to prevent staff from cronieism...

Well, syphilis can eventually cause "Cupid's Disease" http://www.walnet.org/sos/cupidsdisease.html

But symptoms also include open sores, a rash, fever, swollen lymph glands, sore throat, patchy hair loss, headaches, weight loss, muscle aches, and fatigue.

If left untreated, syphilis can eventually cause damage to the brain, nerves, eyes, heart, blood vessels, liver, bones, and joints. In extreme cases it can cause difficulty coordinating muscle movements, paralysis, numbness, gradual blindness, mental illness, and even death. If you have syphilis and are pregnant, it can cause serious birth defects and stillbirth.

While one might find an upside of VD, it is not good to ignore the big picture.  Same goes for HPPD.

So get well and get yourself a virtual reality interface.  You can experience a lot more than just trails ... trails get boring too.

RLS,

You're not alone.  There have been a few others.  It is good to be as positive as one can about situations one is stuck with.

But most suffer and want to be back to 'normal' ... or some sort of 'well'.

You mention taking advantage of it for playing sports.  And speak about using it as you reach goals in your life.

Some of us have lost goals.  Jay can't drive.  I can't hold a job and am in pain 24/7.  If it wasn't for the meds I've got, I would have ended my life some time ago.  Some have killed themselves because of HPPD.  So while HPPD (etc.) is interesting, it isn't desirable.

I echo that.... you're not alone, and like i said, I appreciate you trying to find positives.... I made a similar article on the old forum where I mentioned that if I hadn't got hppd, I would have probably ended up a heroin addict like all of my drug buddies at the time. I was also an arrogant little shit who got in a lot of fights, treated women like shit etc.... Hppd kicked my ass for me and made me a better person, in some respects.

Stay positive, keep posting... But I hope that you can understand that some of us here are suffering on a different level to you, and that you can perhaps keep that in mind when writing articles.