Hallucinations?

WuWei

Anyone one experience this kind of stuff?:

Objects appear to be something else for a half a second and the brain reinterprets what it actually is (the most common example for me is seeing lightposts and trash cans out of my peripheral vision and thinking they're people standing there for a moment)?

Hearing sounds and misinterpreting where they are coming from for a brief moment?

Parts of the visual field jumping out more than others and attracting attention?

Bits of skyline through trees or shadows in between buildings appearing to be solid objects like walls for a brief moment?

Olfactory hallucinations like smelling smoke or food when it's another smell (again only briefly)?

Can't think of too many more examples without it getting in the realm of no making any sense.  I've been getting a lot more of this kind of stuff lately while I've been trying to get off of the Lexapro- some days like today it's pretty much constant.  It's the most distressing thing I've ever been through in my life.  Obviously I'm not schizophrenic because I know they aren't real and I can see that after a moment.  It's almost more like symptoms of dementia- at 34 years old. 

I can take the visual symptoms but this shit is intolerable.  It's ruining my life.  Can anyone relate?

• Upvote 1

Yes, I can relate but what we are experiencing are not hallucinations by definition. We may be confusing what we are seeing but the difference is that at least the object itself is real even if we get what it is wrong at first.I get a kick out of eating the candy Bottlecaps because even though it's supposed to have only 5 flavors I taste twice as many including marshmallows and the taste of the Fun Dip stick. Noises in general are hard to figure where they come from as it is when they're likely to bounce off walls anyhow but I do hear times when I think either someone is saying my name or someone says something and I thought it had sound like they had said something else. It may seem like I have a hard time hearing someone when it's usually because I have to process what they said a few times to make sure I got it right and I still wind up saying "what?" right before saying "oh, right". I routinely think I see a person standing in my peripheral vision only to find that it was only a store display or just a shadow. The good thing is I'm always able to still see and figure out what it was instead of believing I just saw a ghost again.

I'm not sure how any of this could be ruining your life unless you have a job where your sense of taste and smell are very important, you work in healthcare, or in any dangerous profession where it's important to know what people are saying each and every time. It's certainly discerning when you eat a sandwich and it doesn't taste the same or there is no taste at all but as long as you still have an appetite be happy. That's the main reason I self medicate with cannabis for otherwise I have no appetite AND a strange sense of smell/taste. When high I have a great appetite and an enhanced strange sense of smell/taste but I find it amusing considering that I don't change my diet much. Maybe I've always had a supersniffer and there are many things that share a trait within their odors that should remind you of food but the worst thing that happens is it makes you hungry. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I can relate but what we are experiencing are not hallucinations by definition. We may be confusing what we are seeing but the difference is that at least the object itself is real even if we get what it is wrong at first.I get a kick out of eating the candy Bottlecaps because even though it's supposed to have only 5 flavors I taste twice as many including marshmallows and the taste of the Fun Dip stick. Noises in general are hard to figure where they come from as it is when they're likely to bounce off walls anyhow but I do hear times when I think either someone is saying my name or someone says something and I thought it had sound like they had said something else. It may seem like I have a hard time hearing someone when it's usually because I have to process what they said a few times to make sure I got it right and I still wind up saying "what?" right before saying "oh, right". I routinely think I see a person standing in my peripheral vision only to find that it was only a store display or just a shadow. The good thing is I'm always able to still see and figure out what it was instead of believing I just saw a ghost again.

I'm not sure how any of this could be ruining your life unless you have a job where your sense of taste and smell are very important, you work in healthcare, or in any dangerous profession where it's important to know what people are saying each and every time. It's certainly discerning when you eat a sandwich and it doesn't taste the same or there is no taste at all but as long as you still have an appetite be happy. That's the main reason I self medicate with cannabis for otherwise I have no appetite AND a strange sense of smell/taste. When high I have a great appetite and an enhanced strange sense of smell/taste but I find it amusing considering that I don't change my diet much. Maybe I've always had a supersniffer and there are many things that share a trait within their odors that should remind you of food but the worst thing that happens is it makes you hungry.

Hey, When u self medicate with marijuana do u get paranoia?? Like does it bring u back to ur psychedelic trip?? ..

Hey, When u self medicate with marijuana do u get paranoia?? Like does it bring u back to ur psychedelic trip?? ..

I know this question wasn't targeted at me but when I would catch a secondhand high from weed I would be blasted into HPPD/visual distortion/DPDR hell for the next few days.  Like my vision would be REALLY fucked.  Alice in Wonderland effect out the fucking ass.

Lots of folks report weed - even secondhand smoke - causing HPPD symptoms to soar.

WuWei,

My peripheral vision was very hyper and would cause things as you describe.  Was not a problem with central vision.  So might think a squirrel was a swan - the tail being a neck.  Jumping because a parked truck looked like it would charge at me.  Chainlink fences looking like smoke.  Etc...  You can get used to it, especially with laughter.

The peripheral visual field is wired to a high speed 'vigilance' processing area.  That causes 'startle' responses.  Between this and the 'focal' visual processing being sluggish - these lead to temporary misperceptions of objects.

At times, the brain tries to recognize objects with partial information.  Seeing faces is common for some HPPDers.  This video (with the song "Born to be Wasted") graphically illustracts perceptions from partial information (Warning: potentially errotic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnBKoeeTgjk

It was Gabapentin that calmed this for me.  And gradually (4 years) it has gone, even when not taking any meds.  The brain seems to have corrected itself.  These misperceptions now are mild and only when exhausted.

Even without meds, you can do 'attention' exercises to dampen vigilance states --- the same state that is akin to anxiety.

Merkan,

So you had these symptoms prior to drugs?  Or your adult life started with taking drugs?

Only very little. I believe that paranoia is only enhanced by cannabis so if you're a very paranoid person you won't get very paranoid. I like to believe that most people only become so paranoid because it's illegal unlike most other things that can kill you a lot faster. I may be human but there are some days where I wonder and how my body reacts to most external stimuli must be different than most people. My dad has accused me of being too laid back. As anxious as pot can make me feel about a few things it doesn't overrule my warm fuzzy feeling or my ability to socialize better when high similar to when I drink a Red Bull mixed with vodka minus the slurring and stumbling. 

I must point that I have no desire for my HPPD symptoms to fade but if they do after I start my new life I can always go back to smoking cannabis if needed.

Only very little. I believe that paranoia is only enhanced by cannabis so if you're a very paranoid person you won't get very paranoid. I like to believe that most people only become so paranoid because it's illegal unlike most other things that can kill you a lot faster. I may be human but there are some days where I wonder and how my body reacts to most external stimuli must be different than most people. My dad has accused me of being too laid back. As anxious as pot can make me feel about a few things it doesn't overrule my warm fuzzy feeling or my ability to socialize better when high similar to when I drink a Red Bull mixed with vodka minus the slurring and stumbling. 

I must point that I have no desire for my HPPD symptoms to fade but if they do after I start my new life I can always go back to smoking cannabis if needed.

In Canada you can smoke marijuana legally if you get your personal possession card from Health Canada..                                                                                                                 I just find with weed if I try to smoke it, it re-triggers my dinosaur trip from M.M. and LSD (mixed concoction) It seems to send an anxiety electrifying feeling throughout my whole body..  I find it almost virtually impossible to take... But before my "Crazy Trip" I could smoke weed all day long with no end point to it..  I ventured into eating marijuana at a raw point and that was okay there was no paranoid feeling from it what so ever..  I felt high, I was laughing, my head felt tinglingly, but it was fine evidently..   I'm trying some other methodical ways of extractions of certain different types of elements from weed to see how that rolls with Hppd. There is great antioxidants that medical marijuana has to offer not just tetrahydrocannabidiols for psychoactive high.. Anyhoot don't pollute trying to reach for natural remedies in regards to healing or soothing Hppd at it's finest..  Take good care of yourself and others!!!  Hppd24yearsandstillwatchingGodzillatohelpmegetovermyphobia!!!(CartoonGodZillathatis)   Thanks man!!!                

I'm sure different strains of cannabis will effect each person differently. I have smoked some recently that did make me more anxious than usual and I was very glad when I was done with that bag. I've got some now that I try not to smoke because all it does is give me hella munchies.

I'm sure different strains of cannabis will effect each person differently. I have smoked some recently that did make me more anxious than usual and I was very glad when I was done with that bag. I've got some now that I try not to smoke because all it does is give me hella munchies.

U most be a connoisseur of the "Great Green" Incredible hulk that is..

That's very incredibly interesting most peeps on here can't indulge in such a theatrical that's truly amazing.. I know Idica strains are more medically driven but Sativa's are mind alterating as hell.. Well u some how opened another avenue of ur brain which is copiously ironic but fundamentally forgivingly.. Like I said b4 I'm experimenting with extractables and small inhalations to build up tolerance.. Kind of like guys who purposely inject themselves with venom from poisonous snakes.. They eventually die }<kidding); "They grow tolerance"!!! I hope my brain can deal with this transition sometimes u have to think outside the box.. Fuck me!! Hppdlookthefuckoutthiscouldbeludicrouslyderangedintoinsanity.

A recent study showed how there's a difference in how the brains reacts if someone is a daily toker or not. It makes sense that someone who doesn't toke up much will feel much more anxious than someone who has built up a tolerance. The study showed that while those who don't have a tolerance probably shouldn't be driving while those people who toke daily can perform typical tasks without any issues. I can feel a difference if I wait until the evening instead of waking and baking or a really big difference if I happen to go without for a few days.