Why isn't hppd a legitimate recognised disorder yet!??

I'm just curious to know why this is not a recognised disorder by medical professionals and psychiatrists?

It's apparently been around for decades and yet we still have to bring information to our doctors explains to them what it is! And then them telling us we are crazy.

Some of us need to get disability because of this disorder ...but how do we do that exactly? It's really horrible. There needs to be recognition of this disorder and it needs to be accepted and a legitimate brain dysfunction because that's what it is.

What do u guys think or know about hppd getting out there more?

It is, psychiatrists just suck at reading their books.

The "National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS NIH)" has submitted Visual Snow Syndrome beneath "Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)" section: Visual snow syndrome | Disease | Overview | Office of Rare Diseases Research (ORDR-NCATS) link

I don't see why HPPD can't be.

• 2 weeks later...

In its most persistent form, it probably is chemical brain damage.  My official diagnosis is toxic encephalopathy which literally means persistent brain damage from chemicals.

But I wonder for those with milder or intermittent forms, how much plasticity is involved?  How much did we teach our brains to behave this way?  After all, the brain is a learning machine. 

In context of damage/injury, the brain adapts and tries to rewire functions that were compromised.  But by the very nature of neuron construction, the adaption can never be exactly the same as the original - just as you can't change your past, only guide your future.  Memories and events are what they were.

And just as clinging to the past doesn't work well, it helps to figure out what we can become now, even with this disorder.  Forward thinking helps reduce anxiety ... which helps the brain to function better ... which helps us to enjoy life again.

"HPPD is a DSM-IV diagnosis with diagnostic code 292.89."  

Source: Wikipedia (the most reliable source ever)

*All I can say about my own experiences is with what is most likely HPPD, is that over the years i've just grown used to it.  I'm now almost 34 and a mental health professional, and my drug experimentation years were a decade ago in college, where I did a decent amount of LSD and some other drugs.  You may or may not be able to change the visual distortions (for me sometimes nothing seems "solid," colors blend, halos around bright, stark backgrounds, and more), but I was also dealing with issues of anxiety and some depression that came before the drug experimentation.  Just having supportive friends, my own therapy, growing up...all of it helped, and now i'm just me, and have a different way of seeing the world :)