Perhaps the answer is obvious, but perhaps not. Would you recommend trying a psychedelic at a low dosage?

My friends have been encouraging me to just try shrooms or LSD once or twice just for the experience. From them and from much of the internet I have heard that it is a profoundly eye-opening experience, highly spiritual, etc. etc. I had been strongly leaning towards trying one of these supposedly reality shattering yet very safe drugs until I randomly stumbled upon this forum.

Is there anyone who has gotten HPPD from a relatively low dose? (1-2 tabs of LSD?) I drink socially and do pot maybe once or twice a year so it definitely wouldn't be mixed with anything crazy.

Perhaps this is dumb place to ask this - but as someone who wants to be safe I guess you guys would know the most.

• Upvote 4

HPPD is very rare amongst psychedelic drug users. Probability suggests you will not get HPPD; unless you happen to be one of the unlucky few, like us. Taking drugs is always a gamble, especially with these very powerful 'mindbending' drugs (I think most of us here strongly feel our minds have been bent).

Everything varies; some people get it off one trip, some, like myself, get it after 40+ trips. Some, don't get it at all (as Visual notes, Ozzy Osbourne). Some get it from antibiotics, some get the same symptoms without taking drugs at all.

You cannot really quantify what constitutes a dose solely in terms of number of tabs/weight of [x] compound because potency varies so much. All you can assume is that more of [x] is going to be more powerful than [x] alone, assuming it does actually have a psychoactive effect. Do not make the assumption that one tab is a low dose. Back in those days, I had some of my hardest trips off 1 tab, little to nothing off four. If you are going to do it, make sure you know what you are buying and stay on the safe side. I cannot recommend that you do or not take drugs. You have to make that decision yourself - you are aware of the risks (part of the fun of life is making those decisions). I did not know about HPPD till after I got it. Would it have changed my mind? It wouldn't have done, to be honest. It is very difficult to imagine the reality of HPPD without having it. It is as unbelievable as the positive experiences you can have with these substances. Simply; If you want to make sure you don't get HPPD, then do not take psychoactive drugs, otherwise, you know it's a gamble: just hope it pays off.

It is quite impressive to see someone asking sufferers of HPPD their opinion before taking substances. You clearly care a lot about your health, which is good.

Wishing you all the best, whatever you do with yourself.

• Upvote 3

Hey brake, did u freak out on ur last trip?? Like did u hallucinate and have high anxiety levels?? Did u see colors, afterimages, star bursting, ghostly lines, static vision, ect during ur psychedelic trip??

This makes me wonder, just how many people got hppd from a good trip? I haven't really come across too many good trip induced hppd stores (maybe one) it's too coincidental that so many different drugs can give you hppd (MDMA, psychs, delirients), makes me wonder if the chemicals were just catalysts for massive fear induced damage....idk it's 5 am where I'm at, might not be thinking too clearly lol

Edit: never mind, I found some good trip induced hppd stories, I'm just spit balling shitty ideas lol

• Upvote 1

Hey brake, did u freak out on ur last trip?? Like did u hallucinate and have high anxiety levels?? Did u see colors, afterimages, star bursting, ghostly lines, static vision, ect during ur psychedelic trip??

I wouldn`t say my 6th and 7th trips were typical "bad trips" but I definitely did not enjoy them much. I did have tons of after images, colors, blobs, star bursting, ghosting, breathing, warping, and swaying during the trips that sticked with me. Thankfully all of that is to a minimum now and I don`t feel like I am still semi tripping anymore. I didn`t really want to trip the 7th time and I only did it because my friends and I planned to trip on that day. Towards the end of the trip I desparately just wanted to sleep it off and just go back to being sober. I think I had a turning point during that trip when it literally felt like something spilled in my brain and I knew something was wrong.

Yes people with full blown HPPD are a minority but I think most people who have done psychedelics experience some sort of lasting visual changes (at least very mild and rare). The only psychedelic I have ever tried was LSD. I have friends who have done ayuasca, dmt, LSD, LSA, and shrooms and don`t have full blown HPPD so it all depends! Yeah psychedelics can be interesting and fun but I don`t think they are the answer.

• Upvote 1

Gotdamn Syntheso, I wish someone had written that to me pre-hppd. Not sure if it would´ve changed my mind, being young and reckless and all that, but it was a beautiful answer. Btw, I got minor symptoms right after 1st trip. A couple of MDMA experiences exacerbated it. Jay: I thought he got it from binging on E every weekend or so?

• Upvote 1

Hi Curious1234! I used to think that I took 150 morning glory seeds (LSA containing) but I actually went to the garden center to buy plants with my mum yesterday, and I checked the seed aisle for the amount in the packet… Found out that there were only 20 in the packet! I thought that there were 50! So, I got HPPD from about 60 seeds. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn`t say my 6th and 7th trips were typical "bad trips" but I definitely did not enjoy them much. I did have tons of after images, colors, blobs, star bursting, ghosting, breathing, warping, and swaying during the trips that sticked with me. Thankfully all of that is to a minimum now and I don`t feel like I am still semi tripping anymore. I didn`t really want to trip the 7th time and I only did it because my friends and I planned to trip on that day. Towards the end of the trip I desparately just wanted to sleep it off and just go back to being sober. I think I had a turning point during that trip when it literally felt like something spilled in my brain and I knew something was wrong.

Yes people with full blown HPPD are a minority but I think most people who have done psychedelics experience some sort of lasting visual changes (at least very mild and rare). The only psychedelic I have ever tried was LSD. I have friends who have done ayuasca, dmt, LSD, LSA, and shrooms and don`t have full blown HPPD so it all depends! Yeah psychedelics can be interesting and fun but I don`t think they are the answer.

What's ironic with my trip is that I never seen anything on it like I do now off of it.. I never seen these symptoms of hppd at all during my first and only trip.. Seems crazy as I read other peeps experiences and compare them with mine.. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..

To the peeps who don't know my trip I ate magic shroom shronks laced with acid at a party and holy in holistic Battle Star of Galatica- Buck frickn Rogers!! It was far out of this world.. With no colors, tracers, afterimages, again nothing like that what so ever.. The peeps at the party looked submerged into the floor with their heads protruding out of it and their voices sounded like someone pressed the fast-forward button.. This didn't really bug me I understood what I was seeing was from the psychedelic drug.. But it got stronger and stRRONGER where I couldn't say to myself "Jamie ur just tripping" I started to believe everything in the three dimensional world it seemed to me to be.. It was kind of like a dream that is totally unrealistic but in the dream u act into it by participating with the delivery of the delusion.. For instants, I had a dream I was fishing on my front lawn (< delusional) I was participating in it by reeling the fish in.. (participation) Then the fish jumped onto the side walk and jumped onto my mini bike while driving away, I was running after him screaming "Give me my bike back" I woke up shook my head and laughed.. (analogy here is I was able to differentiate dream to reality) When I was fully peaking out I couldn't "differentiate" psychedelic trip from reality.. I was participating into the delusion.. The delusion wasn't a fish stealing my mini-bike like my dream it was a T-Rex!!

The sky went volcanic lava red a patch of lawn stretched for miles sound turned into like a jingoistic acute weird exotic animation.. The trees where like 200 feet tall it was comparable to Alice in Wonderland.. I heard a loud snort and snarl my heart was pounding I had a unquenchable thirst with a desert mouth.. Bang.. Boom.. This Prehistoric Mammoth of a T-Rex came out of the trees after me (I couldn't differentiate) I ran screaming, I could feel the earth behind me vibrating like small quakes from the weight of this "Monster" chasing me.. I could feel the THRAWTH from its mouth on the back of my neck.. It was constantly there I knew if I slowed down it would get me.. U see, I couldn't just stop and say "I'm tripping this is just a trip "now go away monstrosity"" I wish I could of but I believed it like delusional dreams.. I woke up in the hospital I have no recollection but the dinosaur chasing me.. My parents picked me up I was like 15ish and never felt the same since.. Hppd25fuckingyearsnow..

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies everyone! All your experiences/opinions are valuable to someone considering psychedelics. Have to say the idea of something changing my life rather permanently even at a small risk is pretty scary to me so definitely leaning against it now. Strange how HPPD is not really talked about - even when researching drugs and whatnot in grade school I generally learned that LSD and shrooms were relatively harmless substances.

• Upvote 1

It was good enough to launch him to this site.. I wouldn't recommend that amount to anyone, I feel personally it's a lot.. This is a psychedelic drug that sends peeps to Psychological impairment. It's kind of like the old saying goes "Big things come in small packages"

What does 1/16 look like??

It was about 2 or 3 small mushroom caps/stems, plus some tiny broken off pieces, I'm not entirely sure what to compare it to, nor can I 100% remember what it looked like.

The standard dosage is 1/8th, so I took half of a standard dosage.

But I tripped extremely fucking hard.

Either...

1) It was laced with some other psychedelic

2) I ate the most potent cap possible

3) I'm super sensitive to shrooms

4) All of them^

Ok and that's a rlly small dose?

Sorta, some people won't even trip off 1/16th.

But I don't consider any amount of shrooms to be small, lol <_<

No idea what happened in my case

• Upvote 2