vegan/raw vegan?

alice-acid

i have been reading a lot about vegan diets having a very positive effect for people with anxiety and ptsd. in all honesty the only evidence i have come across is anecdotal, but it does interest me. seeing as hppd sufferers seem to be hypersensitive to everything that we put in our bodies, perhaps that goes as far as the crap we consume through meat and dairy, and even non-organic fruits and vegetables. i am thinking about giving it a go. i felt generally healthier when i switched to vege anyway, and the vegan diet is something with other positives than my mental health for me anyway so perhaps i will give it a go. any thoughts on this? or even, any knowledge? haha

• Upvote 4

I think there is a difference between raw and cooked. Those vital nutrients are what you're going for on the vegan diet. I'm not saying go total hippy and eat everything raw, but you should definitely eat more raw than not. When you cook foods, you're not only releasing nutrients, but changing the chemical structures of some of the shit in the food. Remember chemistry, (I just graduated a few months back and I barely do XP, shoulda paid more attention)  how when you added heat you would create a new substance, same thing applies to cooking. You're also losing antioxidants, and that shit's good for stress. I would take supplements too like Vit B, C omegas, all that. I couldn't find much on vegan dieting curing disorders, but from what I did find it did help make them more manageable. Pus, a vegan diet is way healthier than a traditional American diet (cheeseburger, large fries, and a coke). I say go for it! It will definitely diminish in your symptoms in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I would also suggest bee pollen! It's sort of a nootropic. All bee pollen differs, but they all give you the same results. More energy throughout the day (s opposed to coffee, which will make you crash after like an hour, unless you have bulletproof coffee, but that shit is expensive), they have almost every vitamin, mineral, amino acid, etc, your body needs. If we didn't need so many calories, we could literally survive on like 2 tsp of bee pollen a day! They are the most whole food supplement you can get. I've read articles that claim bee pollen also greatly reduces brain fog overtime and can help you live longer. It's fairly cheap too, I got mine for like 9 dollars online, and it's a big ass bottle.

• Upvote 1

i think i will have both cooked and raw, maybe give raw til 4 a go, and then i can have a delicious cooked dinner :P yeah there isnt really much evidence but it makes sense to me! i am lucky have the UKs first all organic and 99% vegan supermarket (i live in chorlton, hippy central of already fairly hippy manchester haha) at the end of my road so im going to head there later, theres a holland and barrett round the corner too. if i cant get everything i need between those two places i'll be very surprised :P 

i will certainly have a look for bee pollen sounds incredible but how do you eat it? does it taste nice? do you use it like a kind of sauce/topping? or is it horrible and you just have a spoonful of it like you might do with fish oil? 

• Upvote 2

I've been vegan since the start of the year.... I definitely feel healthier, body wise and actually feel stronger during my gym sessions.

In the same space of time, my life is all over the place, moving house, moving country, setting up a business and selling another.... so it is hard to say whether it has any effects on my mental well being. Once the dust settles, I should have a better idea.... But I have been sleeping well lately and have coped surprisingly easily with all the change and stress.

Try it for a month and see.... It is so easy to do in the UK. The amount of shit they put in diary cows and factory style meat could have some affect on us HPPDers.

The best diet for a person has a lot to do with their genetics.  If digestion isn't very strong, then cooked is better than raw.  If you are Parasympathetic dominant, then you need pleanty of meat.  If you are fully Sympathetic dominant, then you are a true vegetarian (about 10% of population).

One thing for sure, common food is now of poor quality and tons of processed stuff.  Growing meat in a factory is cruel and the animals are not healthy.  We are what we eat.  Quality food in the USA is not easy to get, depending where you live.

On the short term, people often feel better with dietary changes.  Long term takes more time to figure.

soylent-green-poster.jpg  soylent5.jpg

• Upvote 2

i think i will have both cooked and raw, maybe give raw til 4 a go, and then i can have a delicious cooked dinner :P yeah there isnt really much evidence but it makes sense to me! i am lucky have the UKs first all organic and 99% vegan supermarket (i live in chorlton, hippy central of already fairly hippy manchester haha) at the end of my road so im going to head there later, theres a holland and barrett round the corner too. if i cant get everything i need between those two places i'll be very surprised :P 

i will certainly have a look for bee pollen sounds incredible but how do you eat it? does it taste nice? do you use it like a kind of sauce/topping? or is it horrible and you just have a spoonful of it like you might do with fish oil?

Haha there ya go! All we need is Mother Earth maaaaaan~ lol :)

Bee pollen tastes like gerbil shit (don't ask me how I know) it doesn't taste very pleasant to me at all, but I usually just plug my nose and take a spoonful a day. You can sprinkle it in cereal, eat it on a banana with peanut butter, however you'd like. I think I read you can't mix it with hot food or drink though, idk why, I guess it neutralizes it. Idk, not a doctor. I think the best way to do it is to eat a spoonful of it mixed with royal jelly, I heard they have a synergistic effect on each other. I would watch out for allergies though. If you're allergic to pollen, you should probably start off with a really low dose, maybe like a third of a teaspoon, and slowly work your way up, so your body can build up a tolerance.

A vegan supermarket....I think those are taboo here in America lol :)

• Upvote 1

Well.... Be prepared to be treated like an outcast by some people, at the mere mention of the word vegan.

It is unbelievable the pseudo intellectual ramblings I have to hear when people find out i'm vegan.... Some get very defensive... Like I have challenged their religion or deepest beliefs (Even though I never bring up the topic).

hopefully i won't get too much of that, like i said i live in the hippy capital of the UK :D i'm pretty sure some of my mates will take the piss but they won't really care i'm sure. anyone else can fuck off! :P

some people are just forever convinced that the way they have always lived is the only right way, and that anyone else is completely wrong. i tend not to like those people anyway haha

• Upvote 1

Yes Jay, you violate the rights of carrots!  Just think, if you eat a cow, only one death supplies food for weeks.  But vegans kill many living things with each day, lol.  Imaging the benefits of eating elephants and whales...  (beats nuking them)

• Upvote 1

Milk/Dairy industry is the biggest cover up of our generation... Will be looked back on with embarrassment in generations to come.

I wont preach here, but people should learn the facts about it, even if the animal cruelty doesn't worry you, the chemicals and hormones will.

I would stronges advice to eat ketogenic diets when it comes to treating HPPD. While it is possible to do this as a vegetarian, i would say that its impossible to practice as a vegan. Basically it mens putting your metabolism to use fat instead of starch. It is used in treatment in epilepsia and has drasticly improved my symptoms (together with a bunch of other stuff). It is used by people who wants to optimize their brain capacity, like the world champion in memory contest (obviously you can compete in that), as well as the those insane thriathletes where endurance is the key.

As for vegan i wont get into ethics argument. You wanna eat it, then do so.

Just thinking about the dairy industry, as well as meat industry, i only buy eco aswell as locally produced. But then i do not eat that much since the calories you need in a ketogenic diet is like 2/3 compared to a starched based such.

It may not be THE cure for our symptoms, but we'd feel a lot better for it. You'll never see milk in the same way again. This bloke will convince you:

Sorry but...LOL! I gavs this guy two minutes, claiming that meat is the oldest addiction when its really sugar(s) in different forms in nature and trying to make a dogma about religion and trying to apply it on a clearly different context then it was intended. The Guy even quoted a bibel verse.

Sorry, but i really respect people who make rational choices, or just surrender to the feeling of eating meat feels bad, but this guy?

And as i Said, you should do so if you want to. Its a better diet then any average person eats. However, while you do not see unfit vegans, many vegans have problems in their systems that will show up on tests. Its not a walk in a park and its not about eating potato chips.

• Upvote 1

Just my two cents, I have been vegan for over 2 two years. I first got hppd around 2 and a half years ago. I can say that it has made very little difference to my HPPD (as I have had it almost as long as I have been vegan). But in terms of health separate of HPPD I feel a hell of a lot better. And I look younger, my skin and complexion is lovely, lost a lot of weight (was over weight before) and I have a lot more natural energy, unless I eat junk food like chips :P. Can't say it helps with anxiety, at least for me, as I had terrible anxiety and even paranoia whilst being vegan and having hellish HPPD. Valerian root helped me with that though, and I do think valerian helps with my HPPD. However, I noticed a dramatic improvement with my HPPD a few weeks back whilst on holiday from university. I thought that perhaps the super food smoothies my Dad makes could have attributed to that, the smoothies are full of loads of fresh fruit, spinach, goji berries and more (I wasn't necessarily less stressed as I had a ridiculous amount of work to do, so less stress wouldn't really be it) but I have also incorporated 45 minutes of self reiki into my daily meditation schedule. So depending on what you believe in, this could have helped :P Sorry if this lets some of you guys down, but I've had a lot of experience here. But in terms of diet, cut out anything with sugar in ( people may already know this) but I know if I start drinking sugary drinks or eating sweets my HPPD is made a lot worse! The same as when I drink caffeine. Oh and process foods, that stuff f***s me. 

Well its a shame its not helped you to be honest, i think a generally healthier lifestyle would make me feel better though and i like the sound of a better complexion haha, mines terrible! It's got a lot better since cutting meat out to be fair

• Upvote 1

well, its something i want to do, and am beginning to do, i think its an incredibly healthy way to live. i dont see many unfit vegans :P

And as i Said, you should do so if you want to. Its a better diet then any average person eats. However, while you do not see unfit vegans, many vegans have problems in their systems that will show up on tests. Its not a walk in a park and its not about eating potato chips.

Its kind of ironic but I've never met a hard core vegan that was healthy.  Met zillions of people who claim to be going vegan or vegitarian but they don't truly do it or stick with it.  Cost is one problem around here.  Another is social difficulties - dinner invites, parties, etc.

One hard-core I know is a Mechanical Engineer in his 60s.  He has been doing vegan with dilligence to health and variety (whole grain, whole food, etc) but he has congnition problem from it.  (more that what B12 might fix)

Another lady and her son (now 20's) have been totally lazy about it.  Have cognition problems.  He has damaged bones and neurological problems.

Technically, living on potatoe chips would be vegan ... just not healthy (lazy).

Best to find what works for you ... and only you can decide.  Aim for quality of food whether that includes meat, dairy or eggs - or not.  In the USA, 90+% of what is available is unhealthy.  One would guess as other countries imitiate the financial success of this one, it will destroy the health of their citizens over the course of decades.

• Upvote 1