Anyone on disability? Was the process difficult to obtain it?

Missjess

I really want to try for disability when I return home for the time being, I've had dp chronically for 7 years which got progressively worse over time, anhedonia & of course hppd in the last month.

What is the best way to go about getting disability??

Thanks

• Upvote 3

If you find anything out, you should let me know too, haha. I've been wondering about this... I currently work online, creating this blog/app, but I can definitely use more money to help out with bills and what not and I'm in no condition to do physical work; if it wasn't for online courses idk how I'd be making progress on my degree. 

• Upvote 1

Miss Jess, not to get your hopes up but I'm pretty sure you won't have much of a issue qualifying for disability pension.

Having a doctor that is supportive is vital though!!!

The Australian government will assess your case on things like:

Past employment

Accumulated assets

Money in the bank

Letter/forms from your doctor supporting your case

Google; disability pension Australia (the site gives you a comprehensive list of criteria needed in order to qualify)

If you need my help just ask ok.

Jimmy x

Well I'm not sure my psychiatrist wud support it coz he thinks I look "fine" to be able to start engaging with society more...even tho he agreed I had PTSD from childhood

I don't rlly know wat else to do ...change psychiatrists? Go yo a psychologist I'm not sure and plus who wud know about hppd ?

Jimmy r u on disability ?

You should look into some more "alternative" practitioners; and by that I'm not indicating switching from a psychiatrist/psychologist, to, say, a Naturopath (not that there is anything wrong with them, though many don't have immense knowledge in biology, neuro-pharmocology, etc). But there are some reallyyyy open-minded "neuro-psychiatrists" that will not only experiment with what meds you and they think are optimal, but can get you the correct testing to understand what is wrong with you (i.e. qEEG's, SPECT scans, etc), along with trying other treatments such as rTMS, which has been shown to get rid of DP/DR and stop hallucinations.

That's besides the point, though. How are you to get disability - a doctors note indicating that you are disabled and can't engage in any demanding work? I know my general practitioner wrote a script of a CES device and said I have depression and insomnia (which I don't have); if it doesn't need to be directed towards the people giving disability checks, I may be able to claim I'm going to see a psychiatrist and get him to 'agree' that I'm disabled and have HPPD, PTSD-like symptoms, etc. and then just use that, lol. I don't even want to be on disability, but for the time being it actually seems as though it'd be a viable route to me helping my family and myself. I just don't know how to even go about getting it. 

No, I'm not on disability and won't be eligible as I'm financially secure fortunately.

You won't have any success getting a pension stating hppd or dp/dr as your disability. You need to fit into a more medically suitable category such as clinical depression, skitzo etc etc

That friend of mine i told you about , is on a pension and he will be able to help guide you. He had to jump through hoops initially but once he got approved he was ok.

As I don't have his permission to drop his name on here PM for his contact details ok.

I had a friend who received disability, he had childhood trauma as well....began using ssris and then many powerful psychoactives. He developed schizophrenia but it also ran in his family. He got disability pretty quick. And then I know people who got disability from "depression" and they seemed very mentally sound. Here in the US its pretty easy to get. Just my two cents