NFB (Will Post More In My "Journal")

Hey guys, I just wanted to make a post about neurofeedback (NFB) so more people can see it - I'll post more about it (details/research, my experiences, etc) in my journal-like thread.

I really think that things like NFB and z-health have the potential to help people far more than current drug treatments; perhaps even more than the current state of neurogenic drugs/supplements/peptides, etc. My reasoning for this is, currently, rather unfounded outside of some basic information. One reason is that we have HPPD for different reasons; therefore, if I were to find that MgT and Coluracetam were to surprisingly 'cure' me, that doesn't mean it will do so for someone else who may have gotten HPPD/HPPD-like problems from using some obscure research chemicals and/or going on amphetamine binges. This is why NFB is promising, because (for the most part) it's not going to be as directed towards, say, a neurotransmitter or neurotransmitter 'system' (for lack of a better term). 

Additionally, things like z-health use movement, eye, and 'brain' exercises to cause neuro and synaptogenesis, along with training different regions of your brain and nervous system to pick up the slack of lagging brain regions. So, if you have vestibular or reticular issues, some other region can be trained to function similar to those regions. See this thread for insight into that. 

Now, one thing I've stressed before in various forums is that the source/'kind' of/for said treatment is almost always one of the most important aspects of it working. What do I mean by 'kind' - well, for instance, some people get benefits from ginkgo biloba, some don't. Is it because it doesn't have much effect, it's all about the individual, or, something else? I'd opt for 'something else', and this is because there are hundreds of compounds in something like ginkgo, EACH with different effects, which can then be further altered by what ratios they come accompanied in. Not many people are going to contact EVERY provider for a supplement/herb/drug and ask what metabolites and other compounds it contains; I asked a couple providers of ginkgo awhile back to provide me with information on what bilobalides, ginkgosalides, etc. make up their product, and each of them had compounds in their products that had very unreliable research. Why did I babble about proper sourcing of different compounds? Well, because NFB is very much like that. There are different 'systems' and 'protocols' that induce drastically different brain changes. Some of the seemingly most efficacious NFB protocols, some of which I may use starting next week, are:

• NeurOptimal: supposedly 'guides' your brain into making its own decisions on how to change (brain waves, micro-structures, connections, etc), thus it doesn't purposefully induce different changes in different regions, which makes the changes potentially safe, more gradual, and subtle (yet noticeable after looking back upon your behavior, performance, and so forth)
  • TAG-Sync: Induces Theta-Alpha-Gamma 'synchrony' throughout different, large brain regions. This system can also run different 'protocols', such as Ultra Low Frequency protocols; in the NFB world, this protocol is seen as efficacious yet 'alternative', and potentially dangerous if not used wisely. This makes sense because it very rapidly induces changes similar to those seen in 'hyper-advanced' meditators, and meditation has been known to cause acute states of psychosis, violence, and more in prone individuals. Many forms of meditation also induce lasting bouts of dissociation.
  • Beta-Reset: This seems awesome for HPPDer's; it will very likely bring up traumatizing thoughts, sensations, and memories which can plague us, and has been used for neurodegenerative diseases. Here is an interview about its use in Parkinson's. Here is the website where you can learn about their "Beta-Reset Retreats" in Colorado.

Additionally, there are forms such as Alpha-Theta and SMR-Beta NFB; I have to do more research on both, but Alpha-Theta seems like it could potentially exacerbate HPPD by attempting to induce brain wide Alpha and Theta brain waves, thus putting you in a dissociated, dream-like, deeply meditative state.... as your daily state of being. After I do some z-health drills, I'll post these other very informative links on NFB that aren't associated with any one form/protocol, yet simply seek to educate people on each form, their pros and cons, and so forth.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but those studies neglect to mention a lot of variables. There are many different forms of neurofeedback, each that produces drastically different results. Additionally, each protocol needs to be selected on an individual basis. For instance, many people with dissociative disorders have ultra-high levels of beta brain waves in different brain regions. If you did a form of neurofeedback that even temporarily increased beta waves, you'd feel terrible. 

Prog Brain Res. 2006;159:421-31. 
Validating the efficacy of neurofeedback for optimising performance. 
Gruzelier J, Egner T, Vernon D. 
Department of Psychology, Goldsmiths College, University of London, Lewisham Way, New Cross, London SE14 6NW, UK. j.gruzelier@gold.ac.uk

The field of neurofeedback training has largely proceeded without validation. Here we review our studies directed at validating SMR, beta and alpha-theta protocols for improving attention, memory, mood and music and dance performance in healthy participants. Important benefits were demonstrable with cognitive and neurophysiological measures which were predicted on the basis of regression models of learning. These are initial steps in providing a much needed scientific basis to neurofeedback, but much remains to be done. 

Efficacy of Neurofeedback Treatment in ADHD: The Effects on Inattention, Impulsivity and Hyperactivity: A Meta-Analysis
  1. Dr. Martijn Arns1
  2. Sabine de Ridder2
  3. Ute Strehl5
  4. Marinus Breteler3,4
  5. Anton Coenen4

Due to the inclusion of some very recent and sound methodological studies in this meta-analysis, potential confounding factors such as small studies, lack of randomization in previous studies and a lack of adequate control groups have been addressed, and the clinical effects of neurofeedback in the treatment of ADHD can be regarded as clinically meaningful. Three randomized studies have employed a semi-active control group which can be regarded as a credible sham control providing an equal level of cognitive training and client-therapist interaction. Therefore, in line with the AAPB and ISNR guidelines for rating clinical efficacy, we conclude that neurofeedback treatment for ADHD can be considered “Efficacious and Specific” (Level 5) with a large ES for inattention and impulsivity and a medium ES for hyperactivity.

When searching for neurofeedback specifically, there are a few thousand studies that come up, most with positive results. Additionally, the article's argument is flawed, because many of the benefits of neurofeedback are in spite of brain wave changes, and more due to structural changes to the brain (gray and white matter/cortical matter, etc).