Valproic acid

Old AED. Looks good. Anyone tried it?

Mechanism of action[edit]

The mechanism of action of valproate is not fully understood.[35] Its anticonvulsant effect is attributed to the blockade of voltage-dependent sodium channels and increased brain levels of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).[35] The GABAergic effect is also believed to contribute towards the anti-manic properties of valproate.[35] In animals, sodium valproate raises cerebral and cerebellar levels of the inhibitory synaptic transmitter, GABA, possibly by inhibiting GABA degradative enzymes, such asGABA transaminasesuccinate-semialdehyde dehydrogenase and by inhibiting the re-uptake of GABA by neuronal cells.[35] It also possesses histone deacetylase-inhibiting effects.[54]

• Upvote 1

I know a woman with epilepsy who takes this, among other AEDs (anti-epilepsy drugs - it just occured to me that it could just as well stand for anti erectile dysfunction :P ). Will ask her about it when I get the chance. I'm always a bit wary of GABAergics, though. Any downregulation of GABA receptors is pretty detrimental.

Oh, and I believe that 1998 took (or takes?) depakote at one point. However, he hasn't been around since shortly after his doctor sent him on that completely irresponsible clonazepam cold turkey. I'm quite worried for him, actually :(

Hmm.. I'm biased on this one. Recently, a lot of posts in noot forums have been popping up about it improving .. neuroplasticity it was? I don't recall, but it was a study where suddenly all participants had pitch perfect hearing after some training. In any case, there's a plethora of feedback about Valproic Acid indicating it's a potent nootlithic (thought I coined that term, turns out someone else did already :().

Regardless of whether this is what sparked your interest, here's a more critical article.
I would certainly advise against Valproic Acid.

If you're looking for alternative GABAergics, Pregabilin and Gabapentin are worth looking in to.

As for HDAC inhibitors, check out CL-994. I might try this one myself.

Cheers!

Hm, I am not sure what got me so excited because I too freak out about the idea of downregulating GABAR's. This is what led me on a search to find substances that weren't GABA agonists (but that improve GABA).. I didn't think that because the compound itself isn't a GABA ligand, doesn't mean it cannot cause downregulation (that's a lot of negatives for you). Silly me!

At the moment, the only things I am utilising to improve GABA are bacopa monneiri, taurine and theanine. I am looking for more.

ODISA - oh wow, you just found me a site that is exactly what I have been looking for in my life!

Yes, I suppose generally anything that raises GABA levels could cause eventual downregulation, such as Glutamate decarboxylase enhancers or GABA transaminase inhibitors.
And what a co-incidence then, haha! Didn't notice it was a music site. Cheers!

edit: If you like, I can see if I can find out what the pricing is on Emapunil.

That sounds very interesting! Are you saying you know of a source?  :o Are we talking group buy here? 

Yes, the company that supplied GLYX-13 does offer custom synthesis, so I could get a quote on that. Could be a group buy if you guys are up for that, however I suppose I should check out whether the price is reasonable first.

• Upvote 1

I'd be interested in Emapunil, as well. It seems to have great potential.

I'd advise against Valproic acid/Valproate, too. There is this private forum that is largely about peptides and epigenetics and there was a post about it there. A lot of people talked about it inducing psychotic-like epsiodes/symptoms, so instantly I was put off by it. 

Resistant Starch looks pretty awesome for modulating HDAC, LostFalco at longecity has spoken about it, and it makes sense since so many people claim they have an uplift in mood and energy when taking RS for a couple weeks. I'm weary, though, because 'bad' bacteria can also feed on RS and increase endotoxin/LPS, too. Molecular hydrogen formed via fermentation in the gut, or supplements (there are hydrogen supplements that some anti-aging physician recommend but I've never seen a clinical trial or experiment conducted on these products), seems pretty interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Necrobump for interest.

What have been your experiences on valproic acid? I'm going to be a guinea pig for lots of medication soon; in which valproic acid was considered a candidate.

Interesting, I thought it would have been a great candidate to help with cognition cause it promotes BDNF, but then again I'd need liver tests every couple of weeks. Thanks for the info man, I'll be sure to tell my doctor that it's not the best treatment path.