Jacob Scheier - Book on HPPD

Just thought this might be of interest to some of you guys. Media attention to this disorder is rather limited, even though I am aware of the fact that it´s seemingly rare. Perhaps HBO´s show True Detective will spark some interest in drug induced visual disorders (Think I saw a thread about it here) but that´s probably wishful thinking :)

http://www.cjnews.com/node/119775

http://starstore.ca/collections/star-dispatches-ereads/products/my-never-ending-acid-trip

Haven´t had the chance to read the book myself as of yet, just happened to stumble across it while searching for an old case study involving remission of hppd symptoms after treatment with sertaline(zoloft).

Apologies for any grammatical errors on my behalf, English is not my first language.

I wish everyone the best! (and I´m painfully aware of the horrible misspelling of my username. Note to self: Don´t try to be fancy because the cognitive impairments from HPPD will bite your ass :) )

Edit: I´ve read the book now and would certainly recommend it. While the story itself is rather personal and the theorized mechanisms , or lack thereof, that causes HPPD isn´t exactly groundbreaking (not that I expected them to be) I do believe that we all can relate to at least some parts of his experience as we all share this burden.

It´s always nice to know you´re not alone and I would like to use this opportunity to thank this community (which he actually refers to in the book) for being here and truly believe I speak for most of us "lurkers" when I say that just reading and browsing this site has been an invaluable source of knowledge and comfort through dark and confusing times.  Good luck to you all.

• Upvote 6

Yes, I agree that the book in some ways resembled more of an extremely lengthy introduction post on this forum and it´s unfortunately not likely to spark any major discussion regarding the disorder or faults within the medical health care system. But still an interesting read for most HPPD sufferers IMO. perhaps it could be beneficiary when trying to explain the situation to family or friends.

A documentary or an indie film might garner some more attention. However, the visual aspects of HPPD would probably be a bit expensive to accurately depict in the latter :)

• Upvote 2

I found it fascinating and ironic that Jacob got the full blown symptoms from his conventional scripts that his doctor gave him.. He never received hppd from the lsd until taking pharmas that was a mixed concoction that catapulted him into the severe symptoms of hppd. Crazy shit, this is what scares the duck out of me to pharmas to be honest.. I have full blown hppd with escalation and acute tinnitus.. Its horrifically horrible to say the least. Crap I was getting suicidal thoughts because I thought I was the only cool guy in the world that had it.. We should set up a expo or something to meet up at from all over the world.. That would be a interesting arrangement.. Don't u think??

• Upvote 3

• 9 years later...
On 3/5/2014 at 12:53 AM, LaizzesFaire said:

Just thought this might be of interest to some of you guys. Media attention to this disorder is rather limited, even though I am aware of the fact that it´s seemingly rare. Perhaps HBO´s show True Detective will spark some interest in drug induced visual disorders (Think I saw a thread about it here) but that´s probably wishful thinking :)

http://www.cjnews.com/node/119775

http://starstore.ca/collections/star-dispatches-ereads/products/my-never-ending-acid-trip

Haven´t had the chance to read the book myself as of yet, just happened to stumble across it while searching for an old case study involving remission of hppd symptoms after treatment with sertaline(zoloft).

Apologies for any grammatical errors on my behalf, English is not my first language.

I wish everyone the best! (and I´m painfully aware of the horrible misspelling of my username. Note to self: Don´t try to be fancy because the cognitive impairments from HPPD will bite your ass :) )

Edit: I´ve read the book now and would certainly recommend it. While the story itself is rather personal and the theorized mechanisms , or lack thereof, that causes HPPD isn´t exactly groundbreaking (not that I expected them to be) I do believe that we all can relate to at least some parts of his experience as we all share this burden.

It´s always nice to know you´re not alone and I would like to use this opportunity to thank this community (which he actually refers to in the book) for being here and truly believe I speak for most of us "lurkers" when I say that just reading and browsing this site has been an invaluable source of knowledge and comfort through dark and confusing times.  Good luck to you all.

The links do not exist anymore. I was thinking about writing a book on this lol

On 3/6/2014 at 4:30 PM, brake said:

Yes sir!

Wow like I’m 10 years late to seeing this post, but I had the same idea! I even actually emailed it to someone on this forum. I had sat for a while and thought about how we could pull it off. It would be extremely expensive of course. We would have to agree on a venue. I was thinking that we could have speakers (professionals) and also kind of like a carnival (no rides though, haha!!) We could have booths, games, food trucks (or whatever) and make a damn day of it!! Anyone interested in actually trying to figure out a way to pull this off…?

On 2/1/2024 at 1:26 PM, AF44 said:

Wow like I’m 10 years late to seeing this post, but I had the same idea! I even actually emailed it to someone on this forum. I had sat for a while and thought about how we could pull it off. It would be extremely expensive of course. We would have to agree on a venue. I was thinking that we could have speakers (professionals) and also kind of like a carnival (no rides though, haha!!) We could have booths, games, food trucks (or whatever) and make a damn day of it!! Anyone interested in actually trying to figure out a way to pull this off…?

Sure, why not?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I tried to write a book about my 10 years of living with HPPD, visual snow, anxiety and depression (psychiatrists also love throwing the word bipolar around lol). I also included my previous drug usage in college before I had any disorders. Unfortunately I do not have enough content. This is all I have, I hope it helps our cause somehow. It's sort of like a diary and summary at all of my attempts at finding a cure. However after exercising today I still have severe visuals (it's almost 11 years now). For the first 22 years of my life I had no disorders and life was way easier.

Shattered Perception, A Journey with HPPD and Visual Snow.pdf

Edited by brake
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:47 PM, brake said:

Okay so I tried to write a book about my 10 years of living with HPPD, visual snow, anxiety and depression (psychiatrists also love throwing the word bipolar around lol). I also included my previous drug usage in college before I had any disorders. Unfortunately I do not have enough content. This is all I have, I hope it helps our cause somehow. It's sort of like a diary and summary at all of my attempts at finding a cure. However after exercising today I still have severe visuals (it's almost 11 years now). For the first 22 years of my life I had no disorders and life was way easier.

Shattered Perception, A Journey with HPPD and Visual Snow.pdf 1.59 MB · 9 downloads

Omg I’m fixing to read this right now. And the bipolar thing… the psychs diagnosed me with Bipolar 1 like over 10 years AFTER I got HPPD. And now no one believes me because people who have bipolar don’t know they don’t have it 😂 Any sort of “mania” I experienced was either alcohol or psych drug-induced. And who the hell wouldn’t be depressed and anxious living with HPPD? 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AF44 said:

Omg I’m fixing to read this right now. And the bipolar thing… the psychs diagnosed me with Bipolar 1 like over 10 years AFTER I got HPPD. And now no one believes me because people who have bipolar don’t know they don’t have it 😂 Any sort of “mania” I experienced was either alcohol or psych drug-induced. And who the hell wouldn’t be depressed and anxious living with HPPD? 

I just read what you wrote and I thought it was FANTASTIC. So many similarities as to what I experienced/experience, despite currently taking Klonopin. (Been on it for about 14-ish years now) I got HPPD from LSD back in 1998. I had done LSD before with no issues, but it only took one damn random trip to ruin me. I loved the pictures you included. So accurate it’s scary. My husband knows I have HPPD and he’s extremely supportive, but sometimes he just doesn’t get it. He thinks it’s just visual stuff, and like it’s not a big deal to see snow or halos or tracers. Like it’s not scary, and he sees stuff out of the “corner of his eye” all the time and it doesn’t scare him. It’s not his fault he doesn’t fully understand, but at least he tries. I am going to show him the pictures you put in your book. This sounds corny but I am so proud of you 😊

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AF44 said:

Yup...exactly... although I never have mania, if anything I'm the opposite I'm usually sleepy and tired. I think all of these visuals tire me out.

Edited by brake
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AF44 said:

I just read what you wrote and I thought it was FANTASTIC. So many similarities as to what I experienced/experience, despite currently taking Klonopin. (Been on it for about 14-ish years now) I got HPPD from LSD back in 1998. I had done LSD before with no issues, but it only took one damn random trip to ruin me. I loved the pictures you included. So accurate it’s scary. My husband knows I have HPPD and he’s extremely supportive, but sometimes he just doesn’t get it. He thinks it’s just visual stuff, and like it’s not a big deal to see snow or halos or tracers. Like it’s not scary, and he sees stuff out of the “corner of his eye” all the time and it doesn’t scare him. It’s not his fault he doesn’t fully understand, but at least he tries. I am going to show him the pictures you put in your book. This sounds corny but I am so proud of you 😊

I am so happy you guys like it!!! 😃

Yes it is very scary and the brain is like: why is this happening? I'm sober!

Edited by brake