DMT/Ayahuasca

I have mentioned this before but haven't really given much thought to it other then "who knows." So I am watching Drugs INC on the tube right now and they are doing hallucinogens and Ayahuasca was what they talked about first. Well they talked about it how I read about it, miracle cure for depression, anxiety all kind of psychological problems. What I am wondering is has anyone gotten HPPD from DMT or has anyone done DMT since they have gotten HPPD. Also if anyone has done DMT can you share your experience. I think it probably works like LSD, you usually feel good and free from stuff for a few weeks to a few months then you are back to where you were before you did LSD but I may be wrong, I have read people saying Ayahuasca cured them from all psychological problems for good. I am considering trying it, hell who knows, might do something good.

P.S. This guy on T.V. is claiming to accidently have taken 1000 hits of LSD(he is a cop and did a bust) and he claims he almost died(I am sure 1000 hits of LSD would kill you regardless) but a nurse IVed him Valium and he says that saved his life. He said if he waited 15 minutes longer he would have died, his heart would have stopped. So IDK how Valium saved him there. He also said he was barely hanging onto reality by a thread, 1 hit can do that to you if you got some good stuff 1000 hits you should be totally gone lol Also he said the trip was 24 hours. I call bs on all that 1000 hits if it didn't kill you, you would be tripping for a week lol. Well just threw this out there because I thought it was pretty funny

They were talking about this other plant called Iboga, sounds crazy don't think I would touch it but they claim it helps addiction, opiate addiction in particular. Also some claim it helps with PTSD.

I know it is dumb to ingest hallucinogens when you have HPPD, but these aren't your typical hallucinogens, they aren't for recreational use like LSD, people claim they are medicine and have helped many people. I may try Ayahuasca in the near future, would like to get others opinions.

Thank you

Andrew

• Upvote 2

Andrew, 

This is my first time posting. I felt compelled to finally "open my mouth" here when I saw your post. I want to say from my own experience. . DON'T DO IT! Here's why:

I went to Peru last Spring in a desperate attempt to overcome the most severe and unrelenting bout of depression and anxiety. I tried everything before I went there (sans ECT). I have suffered from it all my adolescent and adult life, but achieved remission for a few years (for the most part) after quitting all pharmaceuticals and "taking control of my life". Getting back to nature and changing my lifestyle helped a lot. Buddhist philosophy helped too. 

Anyway shit happened (a whole lotta loss at once) and I fell deeper than ever. I tried to get help, and to help myself, but it just kept getting worse until I became suicidal. Everything that helped me achieve my one true "remission" only a few years before was only making things worse. I never imagined it could get as bad as this one. Unfortunately, I am still in it deeper than ever.

I was scared as shit, but in a very supportive environment in Peru. Unfortunately it was one where they (obviously) believed whole-heartedly in "plant medicine" (they refused to identify ayahuasca or Iboga or anything that grows naturally as a hallucinogen: it was strictly "medicine"). Really they were not so different than the psychiatrists who whole-heartedly believe in their "methods" or spiritualists who "know" that only god or meditation can cure you. It fucked my mind up beyond belief and brought back my HPPD tenfold. 

After having mostly overcome HPPD that came on a month after a bad trip on acid when I was 16 (I am 35 now), in my desperate state I was convinced that this was the answer to all my problems. I really never completely understood that HPPD was something other people suffered from until it was too late. I expected it to be the most difficult thing I ever did, but thought that this was what I needed to "face" in order to transcend my hell. What a sick joke life can play on some unfortunate souls when they are being "courageous".

Anyway, I can't say for sure that you will be negatively affected as I was, but I felt I needed to warn you before you went to that extreme. Please, reconsider this. Those videos of all the people that were "cured" (I'm not necessarily saying they were not) by ayahuasca or peyote or San Pedro (Wachuma) or whatever can really tempt a desperate person to do something damaging when he/she really knew better from experience. BTW, this time the HPPD isn't diminishing with time as it did when I went through it as an adolescent and young adult. I think maybe because a younger brain is more "plastic" I was able to (mostly) recover from my first battle with HPPD. Oh and also this time I got crippling and unrelenting (24/7) tinnitus after one of my "therapeutic trips" (I did 4) last Spring, just to add more insult to injury. I really hope this discourages you from going that route. I truly wish you all the best.

-Effed 

• Upvote 1

Andrew, 

This is my first time posting. I felt compelled to finally "open my mouth" here when I saw your post. I want to say from my own experience. . DON'T DO IT! Here's why:

I went to Peru last Spring in a desperate attempt to overcome the most severe and unrelenting bout of depression and anxiety. I tried everything before I went there (sans ECT). I have suffered from it all my adolescent and adult life, but achieved remission for a few years (for the most part) after quitting all pharmaceuticals and "taking control of my life". Getting back to nature and changing my lifestyle helped a lot. Buddhist philosophy helped too. 

Anyway shit happened (a whole lotta loss at once) and I fell deeper than ever. I tried to get help, and to help myself, but it just kept getting worse until I became suicidal. Everything that helped me achieve my one true "remission" only a few years before was only making things worse. I never imagined it could get as bad as this one. Unfortunately, I am still in it deeper than ever.

I was scared as shit, but in a very supportive environment in Peru. Unfortunately it was one where they (obviously) believed whole-heartedly in "plant medicine" (they refused to identify ayahuasca or Iboga or anything that grows naturally as a hallucinogen: it was strictly "medicine"). Really they were not so different than the psychiatrists who whole-heartedly believe in their "methods" or spiritualists who "know" that only god or meditation can cure you. It fucked my mind up beyond belief and brought back my HPPD tenfold. 

After having mostly overcome HPPD that came on a month after a bad trip on acid when I was 16 (I am 35 now), in my desperate state I was convinced that this was the answer to all my problems. I really never completely understood that HPPD was something other people suffered from until it was too late. I expected it to be the most difficult thing I ever did, but thought that this was what I needed to "face" in order to transcend my hell. What a sick joke life can play on some unfortunate souls when they are being "courageous".

Anyway, I can't say for sure that you will be negatively affected as I was, but I felt I needed to warn you before you went to that extreme. Please, reconsider this. Those videos of all the people that were "cured" (I'm not necessarily saying they were not) by ayahuasca or peyote or San Pedro (Wachuma) or whatever can really tempt a desperate person to do something damaging when he/she really knew better from experience. BTW, this time the HPPD isn't diminishing with time as it did when I went through it as an adolescent and young adult. I think maybe because a younger brain is more "plastic" I was able to (mostly) recover from my first battle with HPPD. Oh and also this time I got crippling and unrelenting (24/7) tinnitus after one of my "therapeutic trips" (I did 4) last Spring, just to add more insult to injury. I really hope this discourages you from going that route. I truly wish you all the best.

-Effed 

Awesome first post! Thanks for your experience, I never heard of anyone having HPPD from DMT so this is really helpful, I am glad I didn't go over my head and make things worse. I most likely won't do it now that you have said that. I am still curious about trying it on a smaller scale lets say drink a tad bit everyday for a month or two, not enough to make you trip or anything, just enough to give you a little bit of the chemical in you. But still messing with your mind is dangerous and scary regardless and I think most of us now know this but my curiosity always gets the best of me lol. I won't do a full blown trip now since you have said that and I ty a ton for you sharing. I wonder still though how it would effect someone who did small amounts for months daily. I don't know much about DMT but I am sure if you take it daily on day 2-4 you basically wouldn't feel anything, like LSD, and I wonder what kind of psychological effects this would have. Lol, probably not good! But still curious, though I don't think I would ever do this, I might try like a week of a real small dose daily. Still debating because my symptoms have gone down but I have hit a plateau.

Thank you,

Andrew

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

The only DMT I tried is Changa. It´s a herb mixture with DMT. Lasts for 15 minutes. It´s strong stuff. I saw some Aztec spirit faces and some chanting was heard. The surroundings changed colour constantly and I felt like in hyperspace. But it did´nt teach me much honestly, except that I learned to control my mind because it was quite hectic and I got some humility for this molecule. It did´nt affect my HPPD.

I have a buddy who is into Ayahuasca and Iboga and he can offer me a chance, but these sessions are quite crowded and I don´t know if there´s any real guide. It seems that these things have become tourist industry now. It must be hard to find a real priest that can guide you properly.

I´m considering it for my alcohol problem. Will report back if I do it.

And I take the stories about bad experiences seriously, but as we know there should be at least some tranquility in your life when you do it...

We can't force you either way, but I think that it is pretty clear that it is a very bad idea. Think about it man. Psychedelics have lots of treatment potential in general, but when you've already established that you are vulnerable to HPPD, you'd have to be... an idiot to seek help from psychedelic drugs.

I personally know a person who got (relatively mild) HPPD from DMT. The pharmacology of DMT is not very different from that of psilocin (4-HO-DMT) which is known for giving quite a few persons HPPD.

• Upvote 2

I appreciate your sympathy... Idiot yes, or just open-spirited? I would´nt judge the wisdom of old so easily anyway. But I might not find a real priest to help me and I´d prefer to have one.

You can get diabetes from Zyprexa and suicidalism from SSRIs. I got HPPD because I was reckless (I believe). I have more humility for the stuff now.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate your sympathy... Idiot yes, or just open-spirited? I would´nt judge the wisdom of old so easily anyway. But I might not find a real priest to help me and I´d prefer to have one.

You can get diabetes from Zyprexa and suicidalism from SSRIs. I got HPPD because I was reckless (I believe). I have more humility for the stuff now.

Plz don't touch Iboga or ayahuasca if u have already hppd...they will only make u much worse!! It's a very bad idea and won't help u at all for ur alcohol problem ...Iboga gives a person with a normal functioning brain a "glow" that lasts a maximum of 1-3 months that's it ...u still drink during that time of not after total waste of money if u ask me

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I smoked DMT after I had HPPD. I got HPPD sometime during heavy mushroom and LSD use. At first I loved it and the clouds would smile at me. This next part will make you think I'm schizophrenic unless you believe in God, Satan, angels, demons or at least the possibility of good and bad spirits of any form. I smoked DMT and instantly the entire universe was made out of demons or what people call "machine elves". I was searching for wisdom from spirits in my psychedelic journey and was possessed by demons. I was possessed for about a week and then I shouted out for God to save me. Instantly, my head was thrown back and the demons were cast out with a horrible scream. They went into the fish in the pond by my condo and about a hundred fish were going nuts jumping out of the water and stuff.

Anyway, taking any psychedelic is a bad idea if you have HPPD. I had a terrible experience with DMT but what made my HPPD become extremely intense was taking 2-CE frequently for an extended period of time. Now my HPPD is very extreme and looks like I'm on high doses of LSD and Mescaline. Lamictal completely treats it for me though. I highly recommend Lamictal if you haven't tried it.

P.S. I am not psychotic. I have a psychiatrist and my experiences with demonic possession and affliction fall within cultural norms (Christian culture) and are not considered delusions. I haven't experienced any of that since. I have HPPD, PTSD, Panic Disorder and frequent manic episodes. Antipsychotics make my HPPD worse.

• Upvote 2

Then you may enjoy knowing that the word for pharmacy comes from the Greek pharmacia which translates as demons, sorcery, and witchcraft.  Sometimes losing control of ones mind allows others to interfere - human or otherwise.  A sobering reason to stay sober...

• Upvote 2

The only DMT I tried is Changa. It´s a herb mixture with DMT. Lasts for 15 minutes. It´s strong stuff. I saw some Aztec spirit faces and some chanting was heard. The surroundings changed colour constantly and I felt like in hyperspace. But it did´nt teach me much honestly, except that I learned to control my mind because it was quite hectic and I got some humility for this molecule. It did´nt affect my HPPD.

I have a buddy who is into Ayahuasca and Iboga and he can offer me a chance, but these sessions are quite crowded and I don´t know if there´s any real guide. It seems that these things have become tourist industry now. It must be hard to find a real priest that can guide you properly.

I´m considering it for my alcohol problem. Will report back if I do it.

And I take the stories about bad experiences seriously, but as we know there should be at least some tranquility in your life when you do it...

Never touch Ibogaine. 2 people here have bad experiences with it so far.

• Upvote 1

Also I think y'all are going to far on how much you think I am talking about. I am talking about miniscule levels. Not smoking it, not drinking a large cup, none of the above.  I am talking about sips that won't even come close to making you trip or get a mind screw or anything. You won't really feel like you took anything at all. Reason I am thinking about this is because I read a blog about someone who did it and in their words it was a "cleansing of the mind". But they also just drank the     b. caapi with no maoi inhibitor. It isn't suppose to work without a maoi inhibitor but they still warned you not to drink a lot or it would make you trip or slightly. I don't know if this is true or not, their words. The person said it made them very cheerful and helped them out a lot with anxiety and depression. I repeat they did not trip lol. I got a site that is suppose to sell some of the best ayahuasca ingredients and it is so in my mind to try this right now because I am taking so much stuff I would love to be off everything. I take Gabapentin, Buspar, Propranolol, ultra low dose Naltrexone(10-20MCG) and Kratom. My dp/dr has been real goofy lately, it is like everyone is just AI(artificial intelligence) to me and I am the only one who is real. I am just living this life and everyone around me just plays some part in it, either good or bad or neutral. The few people I feel are real is usually close friends and family. I guess you can say these are the people I cling on to. It comes and goes, but when it gets bad my brain doesn't feel right, like it is getting a rush and pulsing, just weird stuff. I really don't want to do any more damage, I have been clean for over half a year now. Off Valiums, Subutex, alcohol, cocaine and all that good stuff, I just smoke a e-cig and take the meds I just mentioned. Also the other day I was trying to make my own e-cig juice and something went wrong and I got to much nicotine, started sweating, felt confused and shit just hit the fan. I really want to quit and think I will but slowly, smoking has been my hardest addiction. At 28mg/ml and smoke 3ml a day. I guess I will start lowering it down with each bottle until I am basically at nothing. Best case scenario I quit next best thing I can get to 4mg or something. But anyways I may just start with B. Caapi and see how it goes, start very low and judge from there. Idk tell me what you think.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Yea I smoked DMT a few times after I got HPPD. This was about a year and a half after getting it and not doing any other psychedelics in between (except a lot of pot) Only thing I noticed is I would have some anxiety for three days after if I did it for two days in a row.

I am incredibly sensitive to DMT. I had ego death from a resin hit in the glass pipe we used. It wasn't a pull through, but in between consciousness and what's left when you take enough to pull through. Now it's hard to say however if my physical symptoms (extreme muscle tension everywhere in my body to the point of high amounts of pain) didn't get worse from this because it did get worse but I didn't associate it with the DMT. No adverse psychological effects other than the mild anxiety I spoke of which faded.

It was truly an amazing experience. Fascinating and something I don't believe I'll experience until I die (assuming I don't have a sudden death). I'm glad I did it.

That being said I learned nothing from it. It didn't cute me of HPPD or cause me to need less meds or any of that bullshit. It was simply cool. Im glad I did it only because it didn't hurt me. I didn't totally understand what HPPD was back then like I do now and had I had information about what aggregates it I would never ever have taken the chance. I strongly advise against trying it because if it does make it worse, the chances of which are either low or high depending on your specific chemical makeup and the "type" of HPPD you have but you will never truly know for sure, you will absolutely regret it.

If I had to speculate as to why some people are able to smoke DMT and be okay, even though it's similar to other psychs that cause HPPD (I got some of my symptoms for rampant mushroom use) is because compared to those other psychs the effects of DMT are quite short. The difference between having your brain exposed to a hallucinogen for 10 minutes vs 6-12 hours is staggering.

Considering that only ten min exposed to this could affect me for days after says something. I know if I trip on anything longer, I'll definitely make it worse and if I do DMT I'm probably at least arresting my healing process.

In conclusion for anyone thinking of trying DMT with HPPD-- Don't throw your intelligence and life away.

• Upvote 1

it is something i was thinking about for years before hppd. and now that my hppd is over the idea comes back to try it..the reason why people are so sceptical about trying anything is because most of them have a very naive understanding of what hppd or a psychedelic trip really is...even i dont know it exactly myself..but one thing is clear to me..a substance is never a durg or a medicine until you use it as such...with the right motive behind you..you can achieve overwhelming and great results..but its also possible the other way around...means these substances called psychedelics will teach you a painful lesson if you abuse them.

to my mind hppd is something our words cant do justice to by saying it is an illness or disorder...maybe we have to look at it from a differnt angle..and the closer we come to seeing it as what it really is the more we know how to treat or deal with it...maybe it is easier than we think and we are just making misstakes when it comes to recovery measures due to our wrong interpretation of the situation.

...i dont say do psychedelics...i say ...hppd could be a message or maybe a guardian who is preventing souls to abuse the devine power of medicine...just listen to yourself and forget the fucking klichees mankind was always trying to tell you ...cause life is more complicated ..if you ask me, way to much to just expect a simple answer like ''yes'' or ''no'' to this question.

• 2 years later...
On 2/21/2016 at 8:05 AM, Onemorestep said:

Yea I smoked DMT a few times after I got HPPD. This was about a year and a half after getting it and not doing any other psychedelics in between (except a lot of pot) Only thing I noticed is I would have some anxiety for three days after if I did it for two days in a row.

I am incredibly sensitive to DMT. I had ego death from a resin hit in the glass pipe we used. It wasn't a pull through, but in between consciousness and what's left when you take enough to pull through. Now it's hard to say however if my physical symptoms (extreme muscle tension everywhere in my body to the point of high amounts of pain) didn't get worse from this because it did get worse but I didn't associate it with the DMT. No adverse psychological effects other than the mild anxiety I spoke of which faded.

It was truly an amazing experience. Fascinating and something I don't believe I'll experience until I die (assuming I don't have a sudden death). I'm glad I did it.

That being said I learned nothing from it. It didn't cute me of HPPD or cause me to need less meds or any of that bullshit. It was simply cool. Im glad I did it only because it didn't hurt me. I didn't totally understand what HPPD was back then like I do now and had I had information about what aggregates it I would never ever have taken the chance. I strongly advise against trying it because if it does make it worse, the chances of which are either low or high depending on your specific chemical makeup and the "type" of HPPD you have but you will never truly know for sure, you will absolutely regret it.

If I had to speculate as to why some people are able to smoke DMT and be okay, even though it's similar to other psychs that cause HPPD (I got some of my symptoms for rampant mushroom use) is because compared to those other psychs the effects of DMT are quite short. The difference between having your brain exposed to a hallucinogen for 10 minutes vs 6-12 hours is staggering.

Considering that only ten min exposed to this could affect me for days after says something. I know if I trip on anything longer, I'll definitely make it worse and if I do DMT I'm probably at least arresting my healing process.

In conclusion for anyone thinking of trying DMT with HPPD-- Don't throw your intelligence and life away.

I am a minor sufferer of HPPD, I mostly get visual snow and eye floaters. How did you find smoking weed affected your HPPD? I have been smoking it as long as I have had symptoms (4-5 months) and I would like to continue to do so if possible because not helps me in relation to wellness and mental health

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2014 at 5:28 AM, VisualDude said:

Then you may enjoy knowing that the word for pharmacy comes from the Greek pharmacia which translates as demons, sorcery, and witchcraft.  Sometimes losing control of ones mind allows others to interfere - human or otherwise.  A sobering reason to stay sober...

Idk why tf you know that lmao, to my understanding all that is correct but i was under the impression that it was actually just inaccurately translated to sorcery in biblical scriptures, i could only assume roman catholics used it to dampen occult sciences that could possibly jeopardize their belief structure.