Nicotine

Hey all,

I have been a smoker for 12 years, have switched to a e-cig a year ago. Well I have been reading about nicotine and I mean nicotine itself not a cigarette, and I have been reading for the most part nothing but good things about it. For me I don't experience these things I just feel like I got my fix so to speak. Nicotine releases dopamine, increases serotonin levelsc increases norepinephrine levels, increases acetylcholine levels, increases beta-endorphin levels and much much more. What this means is it is good for memory, learning, depression, anxiety etc.etc. Now me, I don't experience this like I said I just feel like I get my fix. So what I am wondering will long term use of nicotine deplete these receptors and be bad for them? Also since it acts as a stimulant, but not a CNS stimulant, could this be bad for you if you are a long time user? And on the flip side could nicotine be useful and possibly good for you on a short term use? I have been thinking about quitting smoking which is hands down, for me, the hardest addiction to kick and I have kicked many of the so called hardest addictions, will I benefit from quitting smoking? Remember I smoke a e-cig now, so basically I am getting just nicotine with just a few more chemicals but nothing compared to a cigarette. My thinking is nicotine could be useful if used only once or twice a week but long term use depletes your brain of these natural chemicals and is basically putting you in overdrive 24/7. Can someone who is more knownledgable in this area give me a hand here. I am looking for scientific answers not personal opinions.

Thank you,

Andrew

• Upvote 2

Idk about the depletion of dopamine receptors, I don't believe that they would because they don't release much at all from nicotine. I've heard that it can increase anxiety, obviously because its a stimulant. I know for a fact though that it helps me get through the day, there's nothing better then waking up and having you first cig of the day. Idk if this is true but I've heard that if you've smoked and then use an e cig that overtime it creates a film of e liquid on you lungs. And that this film of e liquid helps to dissolve and "loosen" the tobacco tar on your lungs, therefore cleaning your lungs.

• Upvote 1

Idk about the depletion of dopamine receptors, I don't believe that they would because they don't release much at all from nicotine. I've heard that it can increase anxiety, obviously because its a stimulant. I know for a fact though that it helps me get through the day, there's nothing better then waking up and having you first cig of the day. Idk if this is true but I've heard that if you've smoked and then use an e cig that overtime it creates a film of e liquid on you lungs. And that this film of e liquid helps to dissolve and "loosen" the tobacco tar on your lungs, therefore cleaning your lungs.

It is a stimulant but not a CNS stimulant, it just stimulates the reward center of your brain. I picked the wrong choice of words, not deplete but dense up your receptors i guess it would be? Idk about the E-cig doing anything for your longs, it is just nicotine, vegetable glycerin and propyl glycol with flavoring. To me the stuff is sticky. Man I accidently got a ton of 36 mg nicotine in my mouth yesterday, my carto was full of liquid some how and drained out when I leaned back to hit it, made me feel super sick and real nasty, all my symptoms got worse just about. So that made me decide to quit and see how I feel down the road. Has been since 8 last night and that puts be less then 7 hours to complete a day. I don't feel to bad a little shaky and I think about it a few times per hour but the craving go away fairly fast, feeling confident about it this time lol. I want to see how this works for me on my symptoms since it is like you said a stimulant in a way and does cause some anxiety somethings.

• 4 weeks later...

Good give life a try without nicotine, no matter what life is gonna have major ups and downs. I know what you mean by sick from nicotene. The other day I smoked 2 cigs in under 15 minutes, threw my guts up for almost an hour.

Is this normal for you? :S I could see this happening if you were a first-time smoker. Personally, I can smoke a couple of cigarettes in a row without any ill effects at all. As a matter of fact, I sometimes do this during breaks when the conversation with fellow smokers is particularly stimulating :) .

• 4 weeks later...

At first nicotine helped me cope but after almost 10 months and having improved to a certain degree I realize that nicotine makes it worse (at least for me). I quit cigarettes and only smoke e cigs but that doesn`t help much. Sometimes I won`t smoke for the entire day or even for a few days and as soon as I take a few pulls I feel an increase in brain sensations and visuals. But it`s so hard to quit! :(