What's up with my ears?

This one doesn't bother me much but it is one of 3 symptoms I have had since I got HPPD that hasn't gone away. It happens when I yawn, open my jaw wide or squeeze my eyes shut with some pressure, my eardrums make like a rolling thunder noise. It is kind of hard to describe I guess the rolling thunder one is a good way to describe it, another way to describe it is when you get that sheet of metal(I forget what it is maybe aluminum?) and shake it up and down to make that thunder like noise. The kicker is it doesn't happen when I first wake up but usually starts happening within a hour to hour and half of waking up and happens throughout the day whenever I do one of the above mentioned ways to cause it. I have read it is my eardrums stretching, can't remember where I read this was about 2 years ago. I don't get tinnitus but have had it, I think everyone has had at one point in life. So like I said happens only when I yawn, open my mouth wide and have some pressure on my jaw from opening or squeeze my eyes shut. The other thing is it usually gets worse when my anxiety hits me pretty good and when I mean worse is it is a louder rolling thunder sound. It happens in both ears but some times it might be only one ear other times the other ear. No idea what this is, like I said it is more of a nuisance then anything. While on hydrocodones this was pretty much nonexistent and xanax sometimes made this go away strangely. Any thought? 

Thank you

• Upvote 3

i responded to this in your other post but im pretty sure its a normal if uncommon thing. i know a handful of people with the same thing and have had it myself for years. i think its more the noticing it thats the problem.  it likely happens to everyone in some way but most can tune it out. All I have to do is flex a muscle in my face and i can cause it. You wouldnt even tell i'm moving something but if you happened to have a microphone buried in my ear youd probably hear it.

• Upvote 1

I dont think it should be so easily dismissed as a "normal" thing. 

For the past month or two now, any symptom that i come across is, "when in doubt, its hppd"

I was pretty self-aware well before hppd so i know when something is a new phenomenon.

I too have ear symptoms, its not thunder like but i do have tinnitus, and a mild constant pressure difference in ears and it crackles a bit every time i swallow. 

I don't know why but it is my opinion that the ear is very well affected in hppd.

• Upvote 2

Yea see I get no pressure in my ears, in fact the pressure I use to have in my head has gone away, I do get migraines time to time. I don't remember where I read it at but a lot of people have the rolling thunder noise and I read it was your eardrums or something stretching. I just don't know why this started happening the same day I got my HPPD. Things I have gotten since day 1 of HPPD: Rolling thunder noise in ears when something in my face is stretched on squeezed basically, a cyst or that is what the doctor calls it on the right side of my neck right below my skull, it is under the skin, migraines, eye floaters, depth perception is off, shit can look holographic and everything just looks to real it looks unreal, bright red cars really jack with me on this. Oh and when I drive I feel like the earth is moving and I am just sitting in the car, kind of like a video game lol. So the rolling thunder is the least of my worries!

Thank you 

thing is did it start when you got hppd or did you just start noticing it. I know that alot of the things some people may take as symptoms of hppd i take as being more aware of my senses and body mechanics. in the early years of my hppd i spent time just listening to my body or playing around with processes like muscle movements that would normally be controlled only subconsciously but that with focus i could do consciously, like the whole moving the muscle that stretches the eardums. This also got much more pronounced a few years ago after blowing out my eardrum while sneezing (im a very violent sneezer). But as much as its more "pronounced" since the hppd if i probe my memories i can remember making the scrunching noise way before i ever touched any substance. Its just one of those things you would probably never notice unless you were in a mental state where you almost had no choice but to notice things like that. 

Again this is something like being able to feel your pulse in your temple. Everyone can do this is they press a finger to their temple long enough and pay enough attention to it. And alot of times its not actually your temple but your fingers you're feeling the pulse through. If you hold two fingers together tightly enough and long enough you'll feel it. 

But i could be completely way off base.

This happened the day my HPPD formed, also my HPPD happened at once not over time. This is a pretty loud rolling thunder noise nothing quiet. It also feels like my eardrums vibrate when it happens. If this was happening before HPPD I would have to be deaf lol. It isn't a big problem or anything and the weird thing is it doesn't happen when I first wake up. So I'm guessing it is my eardrums stretching like you said? The other weird thing is this knot I got on the right side of my neck the same day, it hurt at first a little bit and seemed to pulse and get small or big in size. My doctor says it is a cyst, it is under the skin you can't even see it. I might just have him stick it next time, I swear I think that thing has something to do with my migraines. I wonder why my ears would start doing this though. I can tell you for 100% fact this happened day 1 of HPPD though it had never happened before, something this loud and common I would know about. I mean it happens 10 to hell 40 times a day and if I wanted it to I can do it all day long and it can last for a few seconds up to 15 or so seconds.

breaking one sense can lead you to perceive other senses in ways you never did before, and hppd can easily be seen as completely fucking the living fuck out of our senses. When I see people talking about thinking their vision can now perceive things like ultraviolet or infrared or magnetism or blah blah blah once they got hppd.. i dont necessarily think of it as something new they gained, merely a filter somewhere being removed.... or to use the camera analogy i love to use :

my eyes and brain are like a dslr. i damage the camera's processing chip and it's software. The lens works fine even though it's a bit scratched up but the camera always processes warped looking pictures. over the eyars i've rebuilt the processing chip on my own, never repairing it to showroom condition, but to do so i removed the built in infrared filter cover on the sensor just to gain enough detail to rebuild the image ... a side effect is now i see pictures without graphical anomalies but the coloring is completely shot and black levels are non existent. 

that i was able to upgrade the software on my own means to me that the possibility had always been there. But for me it took damaging the chip to have the need to try to reprogram it to even know it was possible. I personally believe this is what acid does as well as other psychedlics. The damage we cause ourselves in addition to the "temporary" connections the drugs can cause within our brains, when the brain tries to heal itself it now moves along a path of least resistance to make the repairs but hits along those new pathways the drugs may have caused. Happens without drugs too. Synesthetes cant be considered to be hallucinating. Their senses are just completely rewired. Just because they can smell green and see sounds doesnt mean their crazy. It just means their brain is processing sensory input along crossed pathways. With the billions of connections up in our brains it makes sense that something like that would be normal if not common and/or noticeable.