How does one accept their symptoms, when they continue to get worse?

I'm struggling with this stigma, if this hits some form of plateau I would be able to deal with it to some extent, but, as it seems to be increasing daily (especially trails/ghosting) I'm not sure what to do? Am I doing something wrong? Or right? 

Has anyone else noticed this effect, and what becomes of it?

• Upvote 4

Yes its hard. My ghosting also got worsend over a period. i tried to just chill and find ways i wouldnt notice it that mutch like dont look into lamps and reflektions of light. My tip is to do some kind of physical activity. thats when i dont notic my hppd and im as happiest and work normaly. 

sry for bad english.

I've had HPPD for over a year now.  I've found myself worrying about my visuals progressing and wondering how bad it's going to get, but my theory is that, in reality, my visuals fluctuate up and down and usually hover around a consistent average.  Sometimes it may seem like they're constantly progressing because I notice new symptoms; however, those symptoms may have already been there and it just took a while for me to notice them or they just hadn't yet been exacerbated by my mood/stress level etc...  For example, I get bad negative after images when I look at the tile floor in my kitchen.  When I first discovered that, I thought "Oh shit.  My after images are getting worse!".  The fact is, I had just moved to a new apartment, so it's possible that high-contrast tile floors have always been a bad trigger for me, I just never noticed it because my old apartment didn't have any.  I've also slowly learned over time that changes in sleep patterns, diet, stress-level and even weather can cause my symptoms to spike, but they always return to normal after a few days.  You'll slowly learn your triggers over time.  Once you get used to seeing things through the HPPD filter, you stop noticing/thinking about it so much.  I think the first year or two is probably hardest because that's when you keep discovering new shit.  

BTW: I've found that Magnesium really helps with the ghosting.

I dont know how i did it. i just do, When im active at day my symtoms doesnt really  bother me, i forget about them so i can live relatively nomal during the day. Its in the mornings and evening i really notice it and its a bitt annoying. i seemed my symtoms was gettin better but are now getting worse. i think its cause i dont sleep well at night for a while. however im about to change that. 

Thank you for the reply Blunder, I'm just curious as to why it would seem that they're just progressing on their own, but I do understand what you mean in regards to the noticing of symptoms depending on your environmental factors. I'm not even into my first year with this stuff yet, so I'm feeling quite alot of zemblanity as to whats next. I will try magnesium as it has seemed to given most people a positive outcome. Thanks again. 

I think sometimes symptoms can appear to get worst for no reason, when in fact it has to do with day-to-day stresses that you might not be consciously aware of.  Stress is kinda a bitch like that sometimes.  I'm not a doctor, though.  Just speculation.  Definitely check out magnesium.  Don't expect it to make all your visuals go away but I think it does reduce mine a bit.  Glad I could help.

starbursting, halos, and halo static , and ghosting images are whats worsening for me. im 6month in hppd now and i cant say its really stopped worsening. The first 3 month progressed hard but the next few it was slow but definitely worsening. 

popcorn ceiling might be improving a little bit but i cant say for sure. It might have to do with the fact that it was only noticeable when i looked for it to begin with and now ive stopped looking for it as much. Maybe by looking for it less, im subconsciously allowing my brain to forget how to see it. with light induced symptoms, obviously this is hard to avoid noticing it.

but a new symptom 1-2week is i get eye muscle pain. I think its the eye muscle. it basically pulses once with pain and then doesnt happen for a while. it occurs quite a few times throughout the day

any source of contrasts will have a ghosting image for me like digital clocks, street lights, even my mouse pointer on a black screen , etc but its not really noticeable at all during the day since everything is bright (low contrast). digital clocks and leds will always have it though. manipulating my eyes can change the ghosting a bit.

trails i dont really have a problem with. the only time ill notice it is at night when i am playing around with my cellphone with the lights off. I guess trails are an extension of after images which i have but doesnt even last 1second so not really a problem.

negative after images from headlights can be annoying but manageable. 

After images definitely get worse from time to time. Mine are very similar to etard's and they aren't really a big deal, just an annoyance. Static gets pretty noticeable. Jumpy text, dizziness, CEVs and audio distortions have all gotten a lot better for me since my onset. I can usually keep my mind off of my symptoms as long as I'm well rested and not stressed out etc...

Ah that's fair enough. I believe my after images are getting worse, along with my tracking, ghosting and starbursts. My vision is slightly turning blurry and also my audio hallucinations are getting a bit more prominent which is slightly worrying. Everything seems to be increasing at a daily rate, which I don't understand the cause for.