telling parents

I have told my parents about my symtoms but not that it's drugrelated. Both my parents have GAD and visual snow though... Kind of makes me think it's inheritable hmmm...

It's interesting that your parents both have visual snow. I think the people at UCLA conducting visual snow research would be really interested to here from you. They have asked before about relatives with visual snow. You can contact them at VS-Research@Neurology.ucsf.edu

Others can contact them too if you'd like to be part of the research.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I tried telling my parents in the past, and of course, they said it was normal to see vs at night and sometime people talk "funny." (yea, right!) Also, when I told them about my memory problems they just blamed in on the weed, the weed clammed me down, helped me focus and remember things, as I have bad ADHD. So they basically ignored their own daughter falling apart in front of their eyes and refused to get me help, until I faked an attempt to kill myself so they would get me the proper care I needed. But, sadly my planed failed, the doctors thought I was going nuts so they put me on loony pills for a bit, which only made my symptoms worse. When I finally got out of the ward, rehab and the recovery house I was finally 18, meaning I could see doctors without my parents consent. After searching high and low for docs who didn't think I was a nut like my family, I found one who exactly knew what was talking about, and now I'm on my way to recovery thanks to Keppra and a low dose of k'pin.

Also if you're parents/doctors/friends don't think HPPD is real, print out information online on it, forums, wiki, dr Abrahams stuff and wave those papers in their face, trust me, they will have a change of heart and a bit of sympathy for you.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I still haven't told my family at all. I've only really explained a few symptoms to a couple close friends, but I don't think they really understand. when I've mentioned anything, like starbursting Or tracers Or patterns and the like, they just look at me like I'm nuts and usually remark that I've done an excellent job of frying my brain. so that's kind of deterred me from really getting Ito explaining the full extent of it.

as far as my parents go, they've been put through too much shit by me and my drugs already( had a nasty bout with heroin and other opiates for a while there), and they're just so worn down from all of it that I don't need to worry them with some disorder that they can't fix. my mom panics about everything I do, so I'd hate to see how much she'd fuss over me if I told her about this.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing is to tell the truth. ....But you could totally lie and say you have incredibly bad migraines or you got PTSD and say some creep put something in your drink. If they really love you, tell them for real; if they are ready to throw the dogs at you, try one of the other options. ~just what i think.

• Upvote 1

I am living with my mother and my older sister. I don't even know my father. And my mother doesn't know about me taking drugs (in the past). I am seventeen years old and they all consider me being nice, shy and responsible and so on.

If telling about HPPD, I needed to tell her everything. This would be too much for me right now. Still, I have those symptoms for about one year and 5 months. But I never talked to my family about it.

I am pretty sure they realized I behave differently but they never asked me about it. My mom has also a new partner. I don't like him, actually I hate him. My mom is working all day long and when she is at home, her partner is here too. There is no time to tell her and I don't want to rush with that one.

It needs to be the right situation.

My boyfriend knows a bit about it. I never told him it is called HPPD and I just mentioned the symptoms which are not too bad and easy to handle. I don't want him to worry about me that much. he is against drugs in total, therefore that could be hard talking.

I could never talk to someone about all this stuff. Once I had a friend, he was the only person I talked to when I got frshly into HPPD. he did not take it seriously. he thought it would be all normal and my own fault and.. a few weeks ago he quitted our contact. Another friend helped me, so I was not too depressed, but still a lot.

I guess, I'm never going to tell my mom. What would it be good for? She would only self-reproach herself for not being there for me.

I learned to hide it. I feel and see different but I learned to act as if nothing is going on. It took some time, but now I am pretty good at this acting, I guess. The hard thing is, that I also "acted" in front of my boyfriend, but this stops now... I show him the real me, and therefore there is lots of stress. Lots of crying too. He can't handle my hppd-me properly. I don't know if I should stay at acting towards him or if I should be myself. If he really loves me, he should try to get along with me. But I can't force him. Hopefully I will find a way soon. I don't want him to feel bad. I am in love with him. Maybe I am going to tell him more about my HPPD later on this afternoon, but it depends on mine and his mood.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I told my Dad however many years ago, I knew he would take it with a grain of salt. My dad was a straight hippy in his younger days and has been through the drug scene 100%, so I wasn't worried to tell him. He also suffered from numerous LSD flashbacks on a frequent basis, so I even went so far as to think, me telling him i'm now in the same boat would make him feel not so alone in his issues.

I know that not everyone has a parent, or parents that are as accepting as seemingly taboo issues such as drug use, so I can't, of course, tell you the type of reaction you should expect from your parents.

I'm SURE, however... Your parents will NOT demonize you because of this, The reason is simple... If they are truly loving parents, they will not go about putting you down and lecturing you when they know you, their child, are going through such a hardship. They will most likely attempt to have you seek therapy from a psychiatrist and take medication, which I strongly advise you DO NOT. I basically beat down my HPPD without ANY therapy or ANY medication.

On one last note. Do NOT wait to tell your parents. Your parents are the biggest supports you have in your life. Knowing that you are lying to them on a daily basis when they ask how you are will stress your head out beyond belief, ergo, making your HPPD more prominent and potent. Get it off your chest, let them know and you will have a whole new world of support and people to turn to when it (HPPD) really hits you hard. Going it alone is like mental suicide.

Best of luck to you. :)

• 4 months later...

www.louisvuittonbagsshowtime.com Weitere Informationen zu bekommen w盲hrend dieser Zeit all Ihre Familie gehen zu wollen, an Bedenken und macht es m枚glich alle Mitglieder Ihrer Familie Aufenthalt trocken So machen a spezifischen Familie bewusst sind, dass, was h盲ufig tun, bevor you head in der Stadt bezaubernden werde die Tag. Es ist immer erleichtert . Luft-weich ist ist der Grund, dass ein all in one hobby Aktivit盲t vergleichbar mit Unternehmen, Erhalt irgendeine Form von Zug um Zug Hauptunterschied: Spieler gro脽e a period

Louis vuitton outlet select Schnitzer und vor der Entscheidung schnelle Fehlerbehebung sowie eine Ressource box ist die Tatsache, dass nichts anderes tun als eine gute Wahl und zuverl盲ssig Antwort auf das Problem In dieser Zeit alle Mitglieder Ihrer Familie gehen und kaufen sind sie alle L枚sungen too endlosen und schwerf盲llig Hardware-und Software-Probleme die st枚ren jedes Netzwerk. Sie gerade Ihnen eine unsch盲tzbare Kundenbetreuung mit technischen und a hochwertige professionelle Profis und Produkt oder eine Dienstleistung Angebote grundlegende L枚sungen zur Fehlerbehebung mit Installationen, Updates, Daten Sammlungen anti Krankheit Entfernen

Louis vuitton outlet Manchmal jegliche f眉nfzehn no time Es ist Ich mag deine , aber ein Herz fassen praktisch nie dar眉ber, ob oder nicht you ein wenig, als ob h枚ren Hintergrundmusik I h盲ufig wind up being Umschalten zwischen Radiosendern. Ein sowie Wetter, alot of und Hintergrundmusik Es sieht sein do just fine sch枚nen wenn du Also insgesamt the radio sein ist definetly a Multi-Funktion Verwendung des Option Weitere Informationen zum

Louis vuitton outlet Pr眉fen entlang sodass Sie haben zahlreiche andere Software-Probleme von denen alle kann der Fall zu den h盲ufigsten als in 脺bereinstimmung mit the buy und eingebaute Funktionen. Sie k枚nnen sein auf der Suche ganz f眉r zus盲tzliche Details 眉ber the Helppconline sein und keine whatever PC Reparatur und right Abstufung Unterst眉tzung. Vor dem Aufruf von ihnen alle Mitglieder Ihrer Familie kann f眉r diese Angelegenheit 眉berpr眉fen das Funktionen in der sein product mit Going to the eine Reihe von anderen PC support Produkte und Dienstleistungen Die Geldbetrag 眉ber einige dieser Produkte und Dienstleistungen

Louis vuitton outlet Somit ist Beyonce liegt daran Tat nicht weniger als ein werde die entscheidende sensationellen Prominente der ganzen Heutzutage 's Ort in der Welt Ihr Wahrzeichen ein Erfolg k枚nnte das beispiellose auf der Grundlage von ost zahlreiche andere female Hintergrundmusik icon von dieser Epoche zu tun, um mit zu tun. Super hei脽 oder kalt und talentierter Musiker und Mode-Ikone, Beyonceacute, ist die Tatsache, dass gelangweilt Verlassen ihn oder sie pop Superstar Status. Als Teil Ihrer US jeden und alle sphere diese Dame hat sie gelegt 眉berall in der werde das wenn Sie wollen

http://pautina.ch.ua/user/Antapeessethy/

http://www.puntonortesalud.com.ar/foro/viewtopic.php?pid=10799#p10799

http://inspiringwomenintobusiness.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/zingiri-forum/mybb/showthread.php?tid=300397

http://forum.spac-cfdt.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6021

http://www.phponly.com/phpbb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=396587

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mom knew something was up. She even said a couple years ago that she used to freak out on her way home that when she got there she would find me dead...like suicide. I was suicidal for awhile, but never really tried to hurt myself. My symptoms abated a few years ago and at that time i told her what was going on back then. She said i shouldve just told her, but i didnt know how. She wasnt/isnt anti-drugs, but just didnt want her to worry herself...which obviously didnt work because she was worried just by my demeanor.

If i had it to do over again, i would be honest. Its never bad to have your parents' understanding and support...assuming their personal beliefs wouldnt preclude their being understanding.

I guess I did tell them in a way that I am 'damaged/ill' right now but told them I'm getting better and didnt mention any drugs. That way I can rely on them to a good degree at the same time not worry them too much. 

I do avoid some things though. My moms staying with me for the month to take care of me (she thinks its bad general health) so im holding off on my visit to the opto and possibly a future visit to a psychiatrist. it would devastate them if they found it its something they cant not even begin to help with let alone the medical community. they are not stupid, they are going to be thinking about how this effects me mentally/psychologically/future-wise and worry till no end.

• 5 months later...

i always thought id never tell my parents but this is what a good friend told me that convinced to do (which I'm so glad i did now) ur parents gave birth to u that means they have UNCONDITIONAL love for u they will love u no matter what and they are only going to want to help u and make u feel better

telling your parents is a lot easier than you think and u may find this hard to believe but trust me u will fell a lot better after u do wen i told my mom she was really understanding even tho she didn't actually understand what its like at all she wasn't mad after i told her i had done lsd dmt 2ce 2ci mescaline and many more at the age of 17 she was worried and comforting and only wanted to help the only reason they'd be mad is if your still doing them and won't take help. 

i wasn't going to tell my parent but then i was just sitting down for breakfast and i just said i have to talk to u about something serious and i just let it out and it made me feel a lot better hiding hppd and or dpdr from ur parents is most likely going to make ur symptoms worse cus ur kind of like bottling them up

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with Kyle! I think we all have that feeling that we failed to our parents for doing this drugs and alot of us have been thinking things like we messed up our brain or something, and itmakes you feel guilty. Thats why you have to atleast consider telling them. You may think about it first, there are parents and PARENTS you know... In my case my mom still smokes a small amount of weed in the evening so she took it pretty cool. On the other hand my father who has been a MAJOR drug user really like everything there is from anphetamin to heroin to aaah I dont know he always told me about his bad trips he had at my age and when I told him he almost went crazy telling me things like AAAh Ive told you so meany times why did you have to touch the fire I told you its hot.. You really should like check your situation. Not every parent is the same, and I tell you when I told my mom I cried for a few days, I even sleeped in her bed (with sleeping I mean staying awake the whole night sleeping 2 hours in a row) It was so helpfull to have her know. And well my father actuallyhelped me too because he had the experience... He actually had a waaaay stronger bad trip than I had. He had the typical three days in a row from one too strong acid trip day and night on and on... So inmy opinion, if you see your parents kicking you out of the house because they dont know how to handle the situation make something up like your sick or that you had a very traumatic event in your life.. maybe with love or something..like somebody just broke your heart into pieces and your suffering from major anxiety and depression. Just make sure you can stay with them as long as you recover. It doesnt take that long if you follow the basic rules ;)

Happy rehab!

• 1 year later...

It was a mistake telling my dad cuz I used to do psychedelics and he believed I was only smoking weed but then when I told him about the HPPD, he was like "if you have that, then you weren't only doing weed. You must have been doing shrooms or something" and then I started panicking and I have not mentioned it since. My mom would think I am going schizophrenic or have brain damage

• Upvote 7

what are some of your experiences with breaking the news to your parents? how do you tell them? how have they reacted? i know i have to tell them at some point but don't know what to expect or what a good way to say it would be... :/

I did them drugs with my parents so it was easy....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My parents would most likely have quite a hard time grasping the whole concept of the disorder. It was hard enough to come clean to them as to how much I was doing to my body. They still have that denial within them pretty deeply, so telling them about this thing I've had for nearly ten years would probably be written off as some sort of delusion. I am more concerned about myself in this right now. They do not exactly need to know in my opinion. Maybe someday, but not during this moment in my life. 

Told my mom (only parent) on my 17th birthday because I realized I've had it for 2 years and don't want to miss out of my life anymore, she did not fully understand but is now believing that it is a neurological problem instead of a psychological problem, she is letting me see a psychologist and is taking me to a neurologist for meds. Definitely don't regret telling her

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Told my parents two nights ago after i got into a fight with my girlfriend, ate 11 K-pin's, downed some beer/vodka and cut myself real bad. "not a triumphant moment for me" basically burst into tears talking to my girlfriend and she convinced me to tell my parents. My parents love me and want me to get better but I feel like I just won the worlds shittiest son award. My mom just spent like $60 on supplements she thinks will heal me and gives me a fist full of them every morning now. Started Keppra, about to start my clonazepam taper and also started therapy. Really struggling in school "mechanical engineering" and considering medically withdrawing or maybe trying to finish the semester. sorry for the rant just feeling completely fucked and you guys are the only ones who understand. atleast i don't have to wear that fake smile around the house anymore.

• Jay1 unpinned this topic