NSI-189 Group Buy

I'm highly interested in this compound as well. Is the group buy going on still?

OneDayI'llSailAgain: So you didn't get much effects yet from Cerebrolysin? I wanted to send you some information I came across on some interesting forums. This guy was running a trial with Cerebrolysin and found this huge literature review on it and it seems as though doses up to 40mL/day have been used with no toxicity. A lot of people seem to benefit from increasing the dose to 10-15mL. Intravenous is another option, but that can be dangerous and plus everyone has different opinions on injecting things into their veins (I personally wouldn't unless everything I plan to try for HPPD didn't work). 

I think Odisa's plan to halt Cerebrolysin treatment until after an NSI-189 trial makes a lot of sense - maximise the amount of neurons (NSI-189) for Cerebrolysin to promote synapse formation between. So even if there are ways to optimise Cere administration it'll be even more beneficial to hold of trying that stuff out until after using NSI-189. 

Did you wind up purchasing some from nyles7, Odisa?

No, alas it didn't do much of anything for me (that I can discern). This was at 10ml/day already.. any more than that would require more injection sites than I can keep track of. And indeed; I agree Puppeteer. It's also the financial factor; else I would've continued Cere and just have bought more after NSI.

No I did not buy from nyles7.. he could do faster shipping, but apparently that tends to have a higher chance of being held by customs. I'm just bunkering down and waiting till I get mine from the group buy.

Oh, and yes Chakra, you can still join the group buy @ Longecity.. just follow the instructions posted in this thread :)

Also, keep an eye out for 7,8-dihydroxyflavone guys. TrkB agonist I believe.. should be ready in a month or so.

Gosh, I hate reading over my own posts. You don't really notice that you're making spelling/syntactic errors at the time, but afterwards... :( 

Anyhow, I digress. Do you have any insight to when the NSI will be ready apart from what VLK's posted in the Participants thread? Can't help but feel like "late December/early January" could very well mean there's a possibility of delays, then a dragged out process of it getting split up and shipped out... Really just wanna get started with it ASAP, aha. Maybe the fates will smile upon me and the neuro I'm seeing on Thursday will prescribe me Keppra, but otherwise NSI's my number one priority...

Digressing once again. Have you already transferred the cash for yours to VLK, Odisa? Did you wind up going with 5 or 10g?

Interesting bit on 7,8-dihydroxyflavone. I saw that thread but never opened it up. It gets me thinking: they stated green tea is a source of insignificant amounts of this compound; well, edible green tea often has upwards of 10,000% of various compounds found in green tea for drinking. I've really been looking into enhancing oxidative metabolism for brain power and edible green tea is loaded with nutrients that fuel oxidative metabolism. Here are some of the flavanol contents of different substances: http://www.eatgreentea.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/flav-1.pdf

I'm going to check out the group buy on NSI-189, thanks.

Nope; no clue. Yes indeed a bit vague, and it may very well be delayed.. Let's hope not.. NSI is my #1 priority as well. Someone beat me to it asking for an update on the progress, so perhaps we'll know more soon. Yep, I went ahead and made my payment for 5g shortly after the heads-up you posted, thanks :) Hope you get the Keppra!

As for green tea; yes it contains many interesting beneficial flavanols/flavanoids/flavones/whatever, however I doubt that 7,8-DHF would be present in sufficient amounts, even in that edible version. But, it does contain COMT inhibiting stuff (EGCG), among its other merits, so it won't hurt.

Just gotta sit tight for a few more weeks.. Would be easier if we knew for certain it would help.

Well, it seems difficult to get much actual info about how the drug really works ... perhaps patent protections.

OK, B3 sounds harmless enough.  But being funded by the Department of Defense, the folks who brought us agent orange, raises a flag.  Nootropics have often been developed for military purposes, not altruism.  And these have been used for brain injury.

So they have passed phase 1 trials.  That means it is not acutely toxic.  Curiously, neither is LSD: "LSD is non-addictive, is not known to cause brain damage, and has extremely low toxicity relative to dose" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSD , lol, don't you just love what they print???

Not aware of any qEEG or other studies that show any correlation of HPPD and the hippocampus.  Maybe it stimulate growth everywhere but they just mention hippocampus?  [ Note: the hippocampus is already noted for its ability (rare for the brain) to grow new neurons ]

How does B3 and a pyrazine (some noted for antitumor properties) encourage new cell formation?  And how do they ensure that the new cells differentiate (mature) rather than become neoplasms (cancer)?

In reading various posts, it seems that people trying it are hyped about what it might do, then acknowledging it will take months to know.  Would anyone kindly point me to testimonials where people say this has actually helped their HPPD?  (sorry but I'm overwhelmed with sorting through info)  Thanks.

BTW, the absolute #1 way to treat and protect the hippocampus is to resolve/treat chronic stress - anxiety and depression.

To my knowledge, nobody with HPPD has reported on their experience with NSI-189 - lord knows if anyone with HPPD has trialed it at all. While anecdotal reports ought to be taken with a grain of salt, there have been numerous accounts from various intelligent, respectable Longecity members of it greatly reducing symptoms of MDD and PTSD, with those improvements lasting beyond the treatment period. (I'll add links to those when I'm less tired if I can remember, but people start sharing their experiences in the main NSI-189 thread on Longecity after about page 30 IIRC). These improvements, while not happening immediately, definitely became noticeable within the first month or two - I don't know that anyone has had access to more than a few month's worth at the "standard" dosage rate.

While the primary symptoms of HPPD may not be associated with the hippocampus, I think it's fair to say that a lot of HPPD sufferers have likely suffered some hippocampal damage - anxiety and depression, MDMA neurotoxicity, PTSD, etc. Even if that damage isn't connected to HPPD, removing a hippocampal atrophy-related disorder from one's situation would certainly make coping with HPPD a lot easier.

As far as carcinogenesis, someone on Longecity received this response to an inquiry about it from Neuralstem's CEO Richard Garr:

"thanks for the note and your interest in our programs.  Of course the ultimate answer to your question can only come through extensive, well run clinical trials.  In our pre clinical animal studies, both long and short term, we have never seen any signs of anything like this, not even hints.  Nor to date in any patients.  So we do not expect to see this as an issue, and we do not believe we are subjecting our trial participants to any such risk.  But again, All safety issues are the primary focus of early stage human trials."

Somewhat oblique, but relatively reassuring.

I think what it comes down to is something of a gamble. When you suffer with something like this for so long, going through all the "standard" treatments (many of which pose their own risks) with no or negligible improvement, you become more and more desperate and more and more willing to try radical solutions. Reckless, perhaps, but when the ultimatum is essentially "play it safe and endure this hell indefinitely" and "take the risk of trying something new which is probably safe that has the potential to make your situation better", I feel pretty well justified in choosing the latter. 

That makes sense.  Major anxiety and MDD are something I am familiar with.  Depression can be so bad, it isn't just lost hope, it is sheer pain ... as real as something continuously tearing your flesh apart.  People often think of depression as being down or without enthusiasm ... but that is the easy version.

In those states death can feel welcoming - something far 'riskier' than a drug trail.  Or perhaps it is that the 'risk' of oblivion is clear, easy to understand.  At least a drug offers some hope.

It has been reported that some SSRIs encourage hippocampus growth.  ECT does it even more so. 

Yeah, anxiety and depression at there worst make it impossible to imagine a positive future. At the start of this year I was essentially reduced to enduring the pain of every coming moment, and the only thing keeping me from suicide was knowing that there was a good possibility that that pain could be fixed, that I could eventually be happy again.

It's so odd that things like ECT, tDCS, and other non-pharmaceutical treatments that show a lot of promise are so rarely employed. People who aren't responding well to medications are just bombarded with more and more over months and years in the hope that one of them will work, and these other options are never on the table. Boggling.

I was reading something earlier where someone said "saying depression is caused by a serotonin deficiency is like saying a headache is caused by an aspirin deficiency", and went on to suggest that the neurogenesis SSRIs promote probably plays a considerable role in their improvement of mood, hence that they can take quite a while to "kick in".Therefore a drug designed specifically to cause the same neurogenesis at an increased rate ought to be very useful for mood disorders, which is what's being seen in NSI-189 trials.

While not wishing to get off topic, for some time I've been wanting to find a med that reduces serotonin.  Puppeteer recently called to my attention the med tianeptine which, unfortunately isn't available in the US or Australia.  It is an SSRE

You'll love this: "SSREs have been demonstrated to be as effective as SSRIs against depression, have a much faster onset of action (immediate), and have a much better tolerability profile" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_enhancer

Back to topic 'depression'.  Gabapentin is helpful for my depression.  It is sometimes used as a mood stabilizer for TBI.  And it is also used in high doses (3600-4800mg/day) for treatment resistant depression.  Of course, like all meds, it isn't a panacea ... you don't know until you try it.

Aaauuuugggghhh - - - why don't we all just get well and have a party!?!

While not wishing to get off topic, for some time I've been wanting to find a med that reduces serotonin.  Puppeteer recently called to my attention the med tianeptine which, unfortunately isn't available in the US or Australia.  It is an SSRE

You'll love this: "SSREs have been demonstrated to be as effective as SSRIs against depression, have a much faster onset of action (immediate), and have a much better tolerability profile" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_enhancer

Back to topic 'depression'.  Gabapentin is helpful for my depression.  It is sometimes used as a mood stabilizer for TBI.  And it is also used in high doses (3600-4800mg/day) for treatment resistant depression.  Of course, like all meds, it isn't a panacea ... you don't know until you try it.

Aaauuuugggghhh - - - why don't we all just get well and have a party!?!

If you want something that can reduce serotonin, you can easily accomplish that with diet alone: eat less tryptophan rich foods and incorporate copious amounts of collagen/gelatin and/or bone broth, joints, etc. If you eat a meal rich in tryptophan, have the said compounds/foods with the meal, perhaps in a 2:1 ratio (though you don't have to get all technical with the minutia and what not). It's really effective in lowering serotonin.

Also, I spoke about this briefly in another thread, but it seems as though no one saw it - thyroid function is what drives nerve regeneration and myelination. If you have even somewhat of a sluggish thyroid, there isn't going to be proper nerve repair.

Oh yeah, after I start doing some other work, I'll report back on it, but Dr. Peat has an excellent book on Russian brain physiology research, a lot of it gets into some pretty interesting ideas about the functions of organisms and sexuality and how this effects our further evolution and sociological functioning; but a lot of it gets into how to create lasting structural and chemical changes to the CNS. His article Biophysical Approaches to Altered States of Consciousness is also worth a read if you don't mind all the seemingly suppressed biological ideas in it (Gilbert Lings and others).

For instance, seeing an odd compound mentioned in that article, I thought about doing some digging before bed. I just found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3762282/ The Pharmacology of Actoprotectors: Practical Application for Improvement of Mental and Physical Performance 

Actoprotectors are very similar to adaptogens, with some interesting differences. Most of these compounds were synthetic adaptogen/nootropic-like compounds made in the Soviet Union for the military, cosmonauts, Olympic athletes, and so forth. There are a bunch of compounds mentioned, but here are some of the benefits found in many studies in one such actoprotector: "It has been established that the therapeutic effect of bemitil is a function of its complex mechanism entailing cell genome activation, optimization of mitochondrial oxidation, oxidative stress reduction, and stimulation of cellular immune response (Shabanov, 2009b)Basically, bemitil (and other benzimidazole actoprotectors) is similar to purine bases in its chemical structure (Fig. 4). It was supposed that this structural similarity explains the influence of bemitil on the cell genome, the amplifying expression of RNA and proteins, particularly enzymes of gluconeogenesis and oxidative phosphorylation, as a central link in bemitil’s mechanism of action. This activation is first expressed in organs (i.e. the liver, kidneys, and alimentary tube) having short-lived, renewable proteins. (...) Bemitil primarily encourages anaerobic energy production, ATP formation, and resynthesis of glucoses from the products of carbohydrates decay (lactate and pyruvate) and from glycerol and amino acids, which mostly occurs in the liver and kidneys. Bemitil promotes the utilization of lactates (one of the main factors in work capacity reduction) under excessive physical loads which process is conjugated with the Cori and glucose-alanine cycles (Fig. 5). In these cycles, bemitil neutralizes and eliminates not only lactate but also the nitrogeneous products of decay (ammonia, etc.)."

• Upvote 7

Does anyone know where we can get Bemitil?  Or similar (herb)?

With HPPD, one wonders about inner-cellular changes besides any synaptic ones.  There are reports that LSD changes gene expression.  Such a thing would impair cell function.  The article above describes how bemitil helps cellular processes ... and this illustrates how a simple molecule affects metabolism.

When I have a flu, my vision improves significantly, even lock stepped with fever.  Also, if temp is running low, vision is worse.  But hanging around in a sauna has only a minimal effect.  So something is changing metabolically while fighting an infection ... and for me it helps visuals.  Histamine?  A lot of acetycholine meds affect histamine - seems the chemicals or chemical interactions are related.  And for me acetycholine affects DR.  (DR and motion-latency are affected by flu).  Still, it seems that the true effects may be metabolism within each cell.

Anyway, interesting article ... and would like to find any available actoprotectors.

• Upvote 5

I'll be looking into these 'actoprotectors'. If I find a way to purchase them from a trustworthy vendor I'll notify everyone - it just seems as though one would only be able to purchase them in America/the West from conspicuous Eastern European individuals/groups, haha.

I think LSD may do things to genes, it definitely does to neurotransmitters and long term neurotransmitter modulation would have epigenetic effects. I know some people who oftentimes micro-dose LSD for it's nootropic value. The only reason I haven't tried is (1) legality issues, and (2) one of my old friends had a complete break down on an extremely low dose of LSD; I mean, it was probably enough for some psychoactive effects, so perhaps if it were halved the effects would be different. But simply seeing what happened on such a small dose makes me think otherwise (I've never had that happen on LSD, but with HPPD I wouldn't try it, haha).

Interesting observations on temperature. There is such a thing as therapeutic hyperthermia to kill bacteria/germs/viruses/etc. in the body and some alternative and anti-aging practices use it as a therapy. I found it interesting that Broda Barnes found that high temperatures in the morning being an indicator of a great thyroid and the lack of heart disease, diabetes, depression, psychosis, etc. Then pair this with Peat's observations and the fact that some Russian literature backs it all, let alone the actoprotectors increase pulse and temps... just gets me thinking.

I believe my HPPD was caused from an anti-cholinergic substance, and interestingly when I started TULIP I also took relatively high dose ALCAR which can increase acetylcholine and I felt sooo good for a couple months. I may try this again but I'm first going to start with intermittent doses of Suntheanine to maintain peak levels in the hippocampus and blood along with edible green tea and matcha green tea.

I'd recommend you guys email some places and inquire about used products, you can find some good deals. I just found an intranasal infrared LED (10hz pulsing) unit for like $60, so I'll be experimenting with that. It irradiates your blood with the light as well as affecting your midbrain/hypothalamus.

• Upvote 4

Not aware of any qEEG or other studies that show any correlation of HPPD and the hippocampus.  Maybe it stimulate growth everywhere but they just mention hippocampus?  [ Note: the hippocampus is already noted for its ability (rare for the brain) to grow new neurons

Arnold et al. [119] studied mice with extraordinarily high doses (8.12 mg/kg i.p.) of [14C]-LSD to elucidate its distribution in the brain. They demonstrated that cellular structures contained more LSD than all other brain matter. The highest concentration was found in the hippocampus and, in decreasing order, in the basal ganglia, periventricular gray matter, and the frontoparietal cortex.

From The Pharmacology of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide: A Review

• Upvote 2

Does anyone know where we can get Bemitil?  Or similar (herb)?

With HPPD, one wonders about inner-cellular changes besides any synaptic ones.  There are reports that LSD changes gene expression.  Such a thing would impair cell function.  The article above describes how bemitil helps cellular processes ... and this illustrates how a simple molecule affects metabolism.

When I have a flu, my vision improves significantly, even lock stepped with fever.  Also, if temp is running low, vision is worse.  But hanging around in a sauna has only a minimal effect.  So something is changing metabolically while fighting an infection ... and for me it helps visuals.  Histamine?  A lot of acetycholine meds affect histamine - seems the chemicals or chemical interactions are related.  And for me acetycholine affects DR.  (DR and motion-latency are affected by flu).  Still, it seems that the true effects may be metabolism within each cell.

Anyway, interesting article ... and would like to find any available actoprotectors.

I have wondered about histamine because I appear to be a histadelic. I am correcting this nutritionally and will report back on how it affects my HPPD. LSD has an affinity for the H1 receptor.

Regarding anti-serotonin agents. These are worth looking into;

Bromocriptine

Lisuride

Ondansetron

Methysergide

Tianapetine

“Research on LSD and its derivatives led to drugs such as bromocriptine, which oppose the effects of histamine and estrogen. Some of bromocriptine’s effects are clearly antagonistic to serotonin, though bromocriptine is usually called a “dopamine agonist”; dopamine is pretty generally a serotonin antagonist. Methysergide, a related drug with antiserotonin activity, is effective in protecting the brain from the effects of strokes. But there is a general disinclination to understand the broad biological meaning of these effects.”

— Ray Peat, PhD
  • Upvote 2

Syntheso, anything much to report on Keppra?

I was feeling pretty good after a week or so on it, then I lost all my pills (I know...also, I managed to lose loads of things on Keppra), had to wait to get some more from the psych. I have just restarted, entering my fifth day, the last four of which were grim, as when I first started taking it. So, still waiting to see! I am quite confident about it.

How is the Lamotrigine going?

Good to hear your experience with it has been relatively positive! I hope it continues that way. Really wish I could just bloody get my hands on some to just to tick it off the bloody list once and for all.

Lamotrigine, well, to be brief, not so great. I'll update my thread in the Pharmacological/Medication subforum.

After some further reading I believe I have yet another reason to think that hippocampal damage is a significant factor in my condition, and thus that NSI is likely to provide at least some improvement. The hippocampus plays a significant role in spatial memory and navigation:

It is a frequent observation that without a fully functional hippocampus, humans may not remember where they have been and how to get where they are going: Getting lost is one of the most common symptoms of amnesia.[31] Studies with animals have shown that an intact hippocampus is required for initial learning and long-term retention of some spatial memory tasks, in particular ones that require finding the way to a hidden goal.[32][33][34][35] The "cognitive map hypothesis" has been further advanced by recent discoveries of head direction cells, grid cells, and border cells in several parts of the rodent brain that are strongly connected to the hippocampus. - Wikipedia

Spatial memory is an area I have a great deal of difficulty in since MDMA exacerbated my HPPD. I'd never really thought to look into it specifically because I figured it just tied into the whole generally-fucked-up-cognition thing, but it's a prominent and frustrating symptom. On a few occasions I've been walking with friends trying to get to a specific place that I'll already have been to a couple of times, and they've commented on my disorientation about which streets to turn down and so on. If I'm trying to get somewhere on my own I have to frequently refer to Google Maps on my phone to an extent that is abnormal and tedious. There's a nearby town my brother and I have been going to a few time a week over the last few months to hang out (he drives, hah), but every time I think about how I'd get there myself I have great difficulty with it. It's also very prominent when playing video games with relatively complex maps, though even noticeable in just remembering, say, if there was an item or a gem or something and where it was. This general disorientation is a huge part of my apprehension about learning to drive, why I've stopped going for regular walks, etc.

It's impossible to be sure of course, especially given how incredibly minimal my understanding of all all this really is, but it seems like there's a pretty damn good case for me to specifically target hippocampal regeneration. This has me even more interested in 7,8-DHF given that it supposedly strongly promotes neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus.

I'm feeling really positive about the next couple of months as I get to try these things! Feels like the strongest lead I have yet, far more so than Keppra.

Puppeteer, using PTSD as a model for HPPD, I have quoted a few studies here that discuss hippocampal and amygdalal damage, size reduction etc. and more. I cannot quite remember all the points I made and if I still agree with them, but look at the studies! Which reminds me.. perhaps about time to try get some d-cyloserine.

Sorry to here about Lamotrigine. I hope you are feeling better!