A New Direction Of Treatment

DizzyMike

Ok so I have been wearing 1 contact for 3 months lol, I should be visiting my optometrist next week or the week after. I get really bad blurry vision and everything is so freakin bright and sharp looking. I have astigmatism also, here is the kicker, my right eye with the contact can't see near as good as my left eye without a contact up close but far away my right eye wins bar none and my contacts are for astigmatism.

So when I visit my optometrist which I guess this is the person I approach about this, how do I break the news to him and what should I say so he will understand. Oh and also I got a crazy amount of eye floaters they are so damn annoying. And what exactly is vision therapy? Were you experiencing these or some of these symptoms too? I bought a pair of work glasses and lowes that are lightly shaded but block 99.9% uv light and when I wear them my vision seems to get a lot better, they just tone down the brightness a notch. Blah sorry not much of a reader but I sure can talk for hours lol

So basically

1. What visual symptoms were you experiencing

2. What visual symptoms have gone away

3. What is the cost of this( I know it varies but a ball park price would be great)

4. Is this a cure or just a cover up, like 32 weeks down when you stop therapy has he discussed if you would have a chance of your symptoms coming back?

5. What do I need to specifically ask and discuss with my optometrist and would bringing in documentation help him to understand

thank you and sorry for making it difficult I know most my questions are on the links I have just been on the computer and outside to much today and it is starting to kill my eyes.

1 more thing ^,^ could you tell us some of the exercises, http://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-Your-Eyes is a list of a way to excersies your eyes, do you thing something like this could possibly work without going into therapy and spending a ton of money I don't have or are the contacts and what not they prescribe you a must have? 

very interesting - how much does this goober cost?

My assessment was £100. £65/session for vision therapy before 4pm, £330 for 6, but they have just upped their prices, I got in before they switched that boat.

Ok so I have been wearing 1 contact for 3 months lol, I should be visiting my optometrist next week or the week after. I get really bad blurry vision and everything is so freakin bright and sharp looking. I have astigmatism also, here is the kicker, my right eye with the contact can't see near as good as my left eye without a contact up close but far away my right eye wins bar none and my contacts are for astigmatism.

So when I visit my optometrist which I guess this is the person I approach about this, how do I break the news to him and what should I say so he will understand. Oh and also I got a crazy amount of eye floaters they are so damn annoying. And what exactly is vision therapy? Were you experiencing these or some of these symptoms too? I bought a pair of work glasses and lowes that are lightly shaded but block 99.9% uv light and when I wear them my vision seems to get a lot better, they just tone down the brightness a notch. Blah sorry not much of a reader but I sure can talk for hours lol

So basically

1. What visual symptoms were you experiencing

2. What visual symptoms have gone away

3. What is the cost of this( I know it varies but a ball park price would be great)

4. Is this a cure or just a cover up, like 32 weeks down when you stop therapy has he discussed if you would have a chance of your symptoms coming back?

5. What do I need to specifically ask and discuss with my optometrist and would bringing in documentation help him to understand

thank you and sorry for making it difficult I know most my questions are on the links I have just been on the computer and outside to much today and it is starting to kill my eyes.

1 more thing ^,^ could you tell us some of the exercises, http://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-Your-Eyes is a list of a way to excersies your eyes, do you thing something like this could possibly work without going into therapy and spending a ton of money I don't have or are the contacts and what not they prescribe you a must have? 

My advice to you is to see a behavioural optometrist if you want to try and treat your HPPD in this way. These guys are not just concerned with the eye itself, but how you use the rest of the visual system, and whether you make use of all your visual apparatus appropriately. They will give you the normal eye test any optometrist will give you and can prescribe for the 20/20 vision stuff, but as an extension, they will also be able to correct vision issues in the brain. This is what vision therapy is; teaching you how to use your visual system correctly, creating new pathways in the brain. As my therapist speculates, HPPD'ers might not use their visual system correctly. The results of his examination of me, at least, regardless of my speaking to him about HPPD in email back and forth before I went to see him, concluded that I qualify for vision therapy, thus not making use of my visual system correctly. I went to see this particular practitioner because he was interested in the condition and we had an interesting dialogue beforehand. He also told me of his anecdotal experience treating his wife's visual migraines, which occur in the visual cortex, like our perceptual distortions.

Of course, I will post the exercises if they prove to be efficicious. Let me finish the therapy and report back (5-7 weeks time), or, if I notice results before then I will most definitely be making a post. Right now, they are preliminary. It makes sense if people wait to see my and Mike's results before taking it on themselves because it is expensive.

• 2 months later...