Buspirone (Buspar) trial

Cheers lads.

Just a  quick update after a week.

No bad side effects, no changes in visuals. I mild reduction in anxiety... A bit like that protective bubble you get with a very low dose of klonopin.

Quite interesting as it is supposed to build for 3-4 weeks. Might just be placebo though, so I will report back again when at the 3 week stage.

An interesting note.... I have had my parents in law here for 10 days... This tends to mean that i drink a bit more than normal.

On Sunday, i drank 2 large beers, 2 gin and lemons (strong ones), a bottle of beer and a large glass of wine.... This would normally have me reaching for 1mg of Klono the next day... Especially as i had a meeting with the bank manager. To my surprise, i woke up completely fine and had zero anxiety in the bank. Maybe the mild serotonin and dopamine effects of the medicine helped.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

This is no magic bullet, but I feel might benefit some. It takes the edges off my life and has even given me a bit of love back into life. Each week seems to be a little better.... not visually or even with dp/dr, zero change there... It just seems to give me a protective blanket against the racing thoughts and almost physical pain of hppd.

I'm gonna up my dosage next week, i'll keep ya posted.

I was started on 15mg hcl buspar I believe  it was and holy moley when I would go to sleep it would give me some realistic creepy day dreams. I couldn't tell if they if I was sleeping or just daydreaming sometimes lol. Wish I had some more didn't do much for me but was fun to take a few before bed. GL

Thanks mate :-)

Just a word of caution to anyone who does try this.... I have always being ok taking meds and things like 5-htp and st john's wort.... The only thing i had a big problem with was Prozac.

Although this stuff has a reputation of being mild, i can certainly feel effects on my body, like racing pulse and heart palpitation (only for about 10 minutes, an hour after taking). I imagine it could scare some users.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I moved back to UK from Portugal... In the craziness of the move, I forgot to get a repeat prescription from my Portuguese neuro. I cannot get it (or Clonazepam) from my doctor in UK, even though i have a letter from my neuro in Portugal. Trying to find a proper neuro here.

I will go see my neuro in Portugal in April and hopefully he can provide me with a 6 month refill.

Hey, I just posted this in the HPPD Stack thread, and it's highly relevant: "We used in vitro neurogenesis-based human neural stem cell (hNSCs) assays and rodent in vivo behavioral assays to identify potential novel antidepressants. A combination of buspirone and melatonin displayed antidepressant activity in these assays whereas neither buspirone nor melatonin alone showed any antidepressant-like profile. After evaluating numerous combination ratios, we determined that low dose buspirone 15 mg combined with melatonin-SR 3 mg yielded optimal antidepressant efficacy in our pre-clinical platform. The low dose of buspirone suggested that antidepressant efficacy might be achieved with only minimal adverse event liability. Based on these data, we conducted an exploratory 6-week, multi-center, double-blind, randomized, placebo- and comparator-controlled study of the combination of buspirone and melatonin in subjects with acute Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). The combination treatment revealed a significant antidepressant response in subjects with MDD on several measures (Clinical Global Impression of Severity and Improvement, Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology) compared to either placebo or buspirone 15 mg monotherapy. These preliminary findings have clinical implications and suggest that a platform of pre-clinical neurogenesis matched with confirmatory behavioral assays may be useful as a drug discovery strategy."