Intense Meditation Reduced Visuals

bpl4269

Seriously guys, this is still running? Maybe you should both just ... stop replying to each other. I don't see the benefit in continuing the argument.

One of the great things about this forum is that everyone (mostly) gets along and works together. The same cannot be said of other forums. We are the 'druggies' yet the maturity levels on this forum seem a lot higher than the visual snow groups.

Psychedelic-Alien-Dog.jpg

The original question:

How would increased bloodflow "exercise" your organs? And why would internal oragans need exercising (or massaging) anyway? And what on earth would that have to do with HPPD?

No clue what organ exercise is. However it can be assumed that if there's co-morbid anxiety or stress, giving the SNS a break can be beneficial to both body and mind. And perhaps increased oxygen flow in the brain might help, but I have no scientific sources for that conjecture. However, some evidence indicates meditation can slow Alpha waves, which were perceived to be faster in HPPD'ers, thus it may be beneficial (however I know not of the whole brainwave system, and it might be a location-specific thing, or the system may not allow for such simple equations via other differences). But that has nothing to do with "organ massaging" nor increased bloodflow to internal organs.

Could we continue debating if and how meditation could benefit HPPD? Questioning is not hating, it's merely to learn and expand. Also, isn't there a case of a hypoactive PFC in HPPD, rather than a hyperactive PFC? Meditation might help, but simply applying 1.5mA to my left DLPFC helped more than any attempt at meditation I've done since having HPPD (just an observation, not a scientific claim). Also, there must be a distinction between visual improvements and co-morbid improvements, whereby meditation could help with the latter but not the former (unless someone can find some evidence on occipital responses with meditation).

If you consider that meditation can manipulate state of mind/mood/emotion, also consider that our mood manipulates the chemical levels of our body. 

And as for massaging our organs, deep breathing will ease the tensions of our organs allowing them to perform at optimal efficiency. Tension means stress, irregular blood flow, etc. 

imo, hppd is not simply visual + dp/dr + anxiety. with things like tinnitus, random body aches, exhaustion, fatigue, etc, anything that can help our body, i see it as a step towards improving hppd. 

this is speculation.

How would increased bloodflow "exercise" your organs? And why would internal oragans need exercising (or massaging) anyway? And what on earth would that have to do with HPPD?

also, as for the 'feud', i do think some of chris' wording are inconsiderate. its pretty much dismissive and rhetorical but the reply was just as sarcastic. Why not just take it as scepticism and try to further our knowledge with research etc etc. 

Forum drama :wub:  chill out and have a toke. fuck we cant do that anymore. :\ 

I am very interested in this. While in France I was going to begin yoga and meditation with an aunt of mine. Unfortunately I ran out of time. How long do your benefits last? 

The benefits of reduced visuals seemed to last for a couple hours. The dp relief seemed to last a bit longer. Anxiety was also greatly reduced.

Jay: They say there's no right or wrong in meditation.. Idk about that. I do know that if you force yourself to breathe deeply and it causes discomfort, that that's likely to produce adverse consequences. Do you experience any tension/tightness in the chest or other parts of your respiratory system? Perhaps instead of deep breathing, try the "just observe the breathing" method.. I.E. Don't try to control it, just feel it.

Actually, i had the same experience. Problem is that my symptoms got worsened for two months past that. But those hours gave me great relief. I recommend guided meditation that is focused on mindfulness/zen stuff. not the compassion or religious thingy.

I believe in order to get the relief of significant one need to do something more, like vipassana or have meditation as your lifestyle and not use meds. With intense meditation comes some psychological issues even in healthy people. I am not ready to go there yet. Probably as a last resort if shit is going down in the world or if my meds stop working.

The benefits of reduced visuals seemed to last for a couple hours. The dp relief seemed to last a bit longer. Anxiety was also greatly reduced.

Not reading this whole thing, but two responses..

if i need to answer that question for you chris then it shows a lack of understanding of how the body works... let's see.. organs.. throughout the human body. use something called oxygen as well as other.. lets call them minerals and chemicals.. increased  bloodflow <gasp> increases the oxygenation of organs and improves efficiency and helps stimulate immune system. 

how does that help hppd.. well maybe having a healthy body and healthy organs is necessary to you know.. get healthy. it doesnt hurt that increasing your control over your mental processes, may help mitigate the you know.. mental issues.. caused by hppd.

maybe instead of asking me to explain it and having a seeming dislike to anything meditation related you could read some of the 1000's of books and studies on meditation. and maybe, if you still dont care about it, you can stop commenting in threads written by people and responded to by people who do care and are interested in it. 

Bang!

I asked how it helps "exercise" internal organs and how, if it does, this would help with problems of excitation in the brain. Maybe it would, but your explanation seems far too vague and speculative. Also, if it does help with this why would someone who has practiced meditation for fourteen years or whatever still have visual and cognitive problems and need to use this forum. Sounds a bit like you're flogging a dead horse. And for the record, I do not have a dislike for anything meditation-related.

Chris, I don't really like to judge people or anything, I only know you from what you have written on the board, but I would just like to say I have particularly noticed an incredible negativity in what you say to people and how you express yourself. Obviously, you are free to act as you wish, but I don't know what's going on over there but from what I can see, your bringing bad vibes to the forum. I don't really care how intelligent you are and about what good you might have done research-wise if you're also going to sit up on a elephant and spout brown crap out of your trunk.
Please, just be more considerate to other people, most people here have some pretty bad psychological issues and your attitude is in no way helpful. Be nice.

:-) And sorry about the personal 'attack' but I have read quite a few things that you've written and been like 'really, is that how to speak to people'?

Oh and just for anyone (well, Chris, I suppose) who views things like meditation as pseudo-spiritual bullshit (I presume, but apologies if not).. even Neuroscientists, to mention one discipline, are interested:

No one really knows what the hell's going on in the world. Of our time, science is the new orthodox, because it seems to be able to explain an incredible amount about the world and space.. but scientists still maintain that a lot of what they talk about is theoretical (another comparison would be a psych for example who will prescribe you something for a certain condition, because it's known well that that will by efficacious for that condition.. but quite often they don't really know how is works). Yes they (back to scientists now) do experiments and empirically prove things. But science is not the sole discipline for explaining the world (I know I'm not providing any big revelations here - just making a point), and of course the huge issue with science is that it doesn't really provide any spiritual guidance (aside: I simply define spirituality as a feeling of connection to others around you in the world, and the world itself.. not necessarily going to church or something, for example, and I don't say spiritual in what you could infer as hippy talk)  or provide ethical/moral frameworks. So we need the philosophers, theologists, spiritual practice like meditation etc, which does work... if you train yourself.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.. went off on one there a bit. I haven't read much of your conversation, so not too sure how out the loop I am. But just wanted make a couple of things clear; meditation is valuable and even the scientific community are starting to take that on board. Secondly, as I said before, Chris, please be a bit more thoughtful about how you write to people.

Oh and also, I do apologise in advance if I've said anything unfairly, as I say, haven't read through the entirety.