Has anyone tried Taurine supplementation?

I was just looking at the Taurine page on Wikipedia and noticed a few things that would seem helpful to us HPPD'ers, and couldn't find any other threads on Taurine, so have a look! 

Taurine crosses the blood–brain barrier[23][24][25] and has been implicated in a wide array of physiological phenomena including inhibitory neurotransmission

long-term potentiation in the striatum/hippocampus (basically enhanced signal transmissions in these areas of the brain, good for improving memory etc)

calcium homeostasis (regulation of calcium channels from what I understand?)

protection against glutamate excitotoxicity (some believe HPPD is a form of excitotoxicity)

prevention of epileptic seizures (HPPD shows pre-seizure activity)

taurine produces an anxiolytic effect and may act as a modulator or antianxiety agent in the central nervous system by activating the glycine receptor

There seems to be some potentially good benefits for us HPPDers there. Anyone tried it?

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't realise I posted this in the symptoms forum, my cognition is not at it's best today, could this pleased be moved to the medications forum? Sorry about that.

• Upvote 1

From what I remember (from my impaired memory) it can increase the heart rate, and in combination with alcohol it can cause heart failure. Led to some mysterious deaths among healthy youths a couple of years ago. Quite dangerous to directly increase the levels of endogenous produced hormones by exogenous supplements. Usually the doses in such supplements are way too high also.. 

high school football coaches were big on the taurine a few years ago cause it wasnt illegal and they thought it would make their running backs like racehorses.. heightened energy and muscle growth supposedly.. which is why you would've seen it as the number 1/2 ingredient in energy drinks at the time.

until a couple of football players dropped dead from it and those same coaches dropped it like kanye drops a gayfish's pants