movies and series which are worth of the attention

Series:
The Pretender (a lot of episodes there)
Terra Nova (1 season, but pretty good)
House M.D. (if you haven't seen that already)
Lie To Me (also got cancelled, but what the hey)
The Mentalist (still active)
Californication (keeps you busy)

Movies:
Seven Years In Tibet
Kundun
Charlie Bartlett
Detachment
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Ferris Bueller
Good WIll Hunting
Into The Wild (exclamation mark)
Limitless
Robinson Crusoe
The Descendants
The Wackness
Water For Elephants
White Squall (one of my personal favorites)

Wild Target
Y tú mama tambien

I had a lot more, but I forgot them, or deleted them. Just scavenge IMDB and Moviefone, or whatever website, and check the toprated list etc. Also, when you like a serie, look it up on IMDB, and at the bottom there's some similar stuff suggested. Should keep you busy for a while.

1. Wilfred

2. Louie

3. Breaking Bad

Definately check the first two out. they might take some getting used to and I definately recomend starting from the beginning (at least with Wilfred) but once you are into them they are hilarious. By far the most original shows i've seen on television

• 2 months later...

Recently I've (finally) found some good movies. In no particular order:

Instinct (1999) (very intriguing)
Into the White (about 2 British and 3 German soldiers who crash in the middle of nowhere and have to share a hut to survive)
Kon-Tiki (about some guys who prove that rafting from.. I think it was Columbia or something, to Polynesië can be done)
The Way Back (about prisoners who escape a war camp in Siberia who flee to India on foot)
The Rum Diary (from Hunter Thompson.. the same guy who brought you Fear&Loathing in Las Vegas)
Oh brother, where art thou? (not too great, but funny nonetheless..)

Documentaries:
Trom Documentary: www.tromsite.org (13-hour documentary.. really liked that one)

The following are available at www.topdocumentaryfilms.com for free:

Beyond Thought
My Penis and Everybody Else's (ironically the guy has some cajones to produce that film)
The Perfect Vagina (similar concept to the above)
Permaculture: A quiet revolution (self-sustaining ecosystems)
The Buddha ('nuff said)

Now I'm definitely forgetting some.. I'll add more if I remember any.

"John Dies at the End".... the book is just awesome sauce.. the sequel "This Book is Full of Spiders : Seriously Dude Don't Touch" It is as perfect a summary of humanity as has ever been done in dick and fart humor based comedy horror....The movie, while it shows it's budget still gets more right than wrong..

And the book should speak to hppd users.. Not literally... not unless you buy the ultra deluxe spider version..  But no.. I mean as far as "the unreliable witness" problems we all face, and the fear (and sometimes unfortunate humor) that comes along with mind altering/destroying substances.

This door cannot be opened..

Terra Nova actually only got half a season before it was cancelled due to poor ratings. It had a massive budget as well. I was looking forward to it a lot before it came out, but once I watch it, I was left extremely disappointed. I disliked it so much that I couldn't even get through the half series - only watched about half of that.

Firefly was also cancelled many years ago, but it is hard to understand why, because it's pretty damn good. A film (Serenity) followed it and is also very good.

I highly recommend the series Fringe. It's finished now unfortunately, but I suspect a few on this site would enjoy it very much.

Ditto Firefly ^

Twin Peaks gets 10/10 for me (well, first season at least), I am struggling to find something that makes me so happy! Series-wise that is. 

I've watched a few episodes of breaking bad.. not quite getting the hype, but maybe I need to watch some more.

And 'The Lakes', BBC drama that was another to get cut too soon. Brilliant stuff.

I just watched "John Dies At The End". I don't know if there was supposed to be some deeper meaning to it, but it was one of the strangest films I've ever seen. It had some funny moments though.

the sequel novel has more "meaning" then the first book.. but the book definitely has much much more going on in it than the movie.. the movie was a best of kinda.... to translate the full book to a movie would take a series of a few movies, or better yet a full season of 24 episodes of animation... since trying to do the book any justice in a normal movie format is impossible

also lots of crotch punching .. whole lots of crotch punching... you could call it a crotch punchingly good time

Jon dies at the end was fun.

Orange is the new black on Netflix is a great show.

A couple funny sitcoms

Inbetweeners

IT crowd

Both British and very funny

A few move I watched lately

A field in England - cool flick about 3 17th century army deserters who meet an alchemist who's trying to find a sorcerer type dude. Very weird and well acted. The whole move takes place in, you guessed it, a Feild. and there is an insane shroom sequence that I had to look away from a couple times but its such an excellent unique movie

Sightseers - a dry black comedy about mundane murder. Same guy who directed the above movie

Bronson - semi actual account of the life of Charles Bronson. Not the actor but the notorious criminal from the uk. Deemed England's most violent inmate. Really beautifully shot by the same guy who directed drive. Tom hardy( bane from batman) is amazing in this roll

bronson was just flat out a great movie.. it made me love tam hardy before i even had any clue who the guy was... realizing he also played picards clone in star trek nemesis... mind blown

as soon as i got out of inception i turned to a friend and said nolan will cast him as bane.. watch.. with his ferocity in bronson and his acting ability in everything else.. he would be a perfect bane.. just pure intimidation.

2 months later he was announced :D

• Upvote 1

bronson was just flat out a great movie.. it made me love tam hardy before i even had any clue who the guy was... realizing he also played picards clone in star trek nemesis... mind blown

as soon as i got out of inception i turned to a friend and said nolan will cast him as bane.. watch.. with his ferocity in bronson and his acting ability in everything else.. he would be a perfect bane.. just pure intimidation.

2 months later he was announced :D

I saw dark knight rises before Bronson but yeah he was so menacing its no wonder Christopher Nolan cast him. Also Tom hardy was a crack head in real life for many years. I really respect the guy for turning his life around. That's why he can play such intense characters with conviction. He's brilliant.

i usually use bronson as a gauge of peoples sense of humor and/or taste in movies.. if you can get through that movie and actually want to watch it a second time then your tastes are ok by me :D .. 

also imparts a life lesson that responding to every situation with naked greased up fist fighting is no way to go through life :D

I just watched Bronson.. I didn't really enjoy it. But I never really enjoy prison movies, as they usually depict a lot of ignorance and violence hiding behind the veil of retribution. I liked the Dhamma Brothers though.

Also just watched the first episode of "Orange is the new black".. Initially it looks like a women with messed up values that goes to jail for something that's rather harmless, and has no clue how to deal with it. I don't think I'm going to continue watching it.

If anyone has some good movie or series recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

I watched naked with David thewlis in his first starring role. He's an egomaniac who has to prove his intelligence to everyone even though he is a total scum bag. Great flick but his character is despicable

Also watched tabloid. A doc about a woman who falls in love with a morman and the lengths she goes to to be with him. Really entertaining. Directed by Errol Morris who also made the great movie the gates of heaven.

The pawnbroker is a wonderful film. About a holocaust survivor who owns a pawnshop in a rough area of Harlem. And how He is so desensitized to the world around him. It should be up there with taxi driver and midnight cowboy.

Rewatched withnail and I a few nights so. One of my favorite flicks. Really top 5 for me of all time.

Dark days is a great doc about people living in new yorks subway system. It's like their own world. Really engaging.

Orange is the new black gets better. Give it a another try. It's a minimum security prison so it's not violent or anything. But ya it's a privileged self centered woman trying to make it in the prison system. It's really about the other characters tho.