Methylphenidate (ritalin)

John Smith

Not the miracle insta-cure i was hoping for, but i am much better in many ways. I'm not doing much to help it though. Im starting a new job soon, and hoping to begin exercising and quitting cigarettes soon too. From then on, i expect things to get better. Been reading alot too, thats helped clear up my mind a bit.

Woah, read my posts. I used to have a prescription for that shit before HPPD from DXM, and I'm pretty sure that contributed to the onset in some way. Also, I once took 20mg of Ritalin after HPPD and it made my symptoms worse for a while (I'm still not sure if I have returned to baseline yet). Oh, and acording to Dr. Abrams Ritalin has been known to cause HPPD by itself.

It's possible. I remember taking Adderall a few days before my symptoms came. It was miserable actually, I was surrounded by friends on shrooms who didn't think I was important enough to share with. Only person not tripping. And I was on shitty adderall. But I guess in hindsight, maybe I ended up better off. Either way, as I constantly go over the days that led up to my onset I often look at the adderall and wonder.

Yeah. The negative thoughts it gave me made me stop but I did have a few moments of clarity. Which made me try to stay on the nootropic road by taking piracetam/aniracetam etc, cos they don't give me the mad side fx. (Well, piracetam doesn't not tried aniracetam yet). Want to go down the dopamine route too cos I've tried plenty serotonin enhancers without it making me feel I'm right out the hppd woods. Gotta try everything I spose. But I'd never be prescribed sinemet or that, not in Britain but Wellbutrins worth a wee try if its a dopamine uptake enhancer. In a low dose so I don't get to antsy.

It's possible. I remember taking Adderall a few days before my symptoms came. It was miserable actually, I was surrounded by friends on shrooms who didn't think I was important enough to share with. Only person not tripping. And I was on shitty adderall. But I guess in hindsight, maybe I ended up better off. Either way, as I constantly go over the days that led up to my onset I often look at the adderall and wonder.

Interesting - if I recall correctly we also have similar symptoms. My main one is ghosting, though now I have an additonal symptom: 'drunk vision,' (not DR!) which came after I combined Ritalin + alcohol 1 year after my initial onset of HPPD.

Interesting - if I recall correctly we also have similar symptoms. My main one is ghosting, though now I have an additonal symptom: 'drunk vision,' (not DR!) which came after I combined Ritalin + alcohol 1 year after my initial onset of HPPD.

Yeah I think we did. Mine are starbursting and ghosting. That's really the sum of my symptoms at this point. I'm about 8 months in with the HPPD.

can you describe drunk vision? and yeah wellbutrin would probably be the way to go...wish we could just have coffee dammit, id feel a little more normal

I tried wellbutrin for a week or so and didn't notice any differences. . . I can drink a little coffee. My sensitivity comes and goes. Sometimes I'll drink coffee and feel super anxious, and sometimes not at all.

I. Don't drink coffee. Never liked the stuff, but I can drink energy drinks. And have been a bit addicted to them to be fair. Certainly not good for overexcited neurons. But when I was taking the keppra for a week I realised I really didn't want any red bull, monster or whatever and even though I've stopped taking keppra the need or compulsion I had to drink energy drinks hasn't returned. Still have a couple a week but not the 3 or 4 a day I was having.

can you describe drunk vision? and yeah wellbutrin would probably be the way to go...wish we could just have coffee dammit, id feel a little more normal

That's the frustrating part, I really don't know how to describe it. It's been about a month since I got it now and have now forgotten what normal vision looks like. I think it has something to do with how quickly my eyes are able to focus, and the way my eyes moves (basically some problem with my eye muscles). Anyway, you know how your vision kind of gets a little disorienting after 2-3 shots? It's kind of like that I guess. It's not DR though, I had that for a few months and this is definitely different.

Yeah I think we did. Mine are starbursting and ghosting. That's really the sum of my symptoms at this point. I'm about 8 months in with the HPPD.

I see from your sig that you also have tinnitus - I got that +11 months after initial onset after I took 10mg of hydrocodone + 650mg of acemetaphine, and combining the ritalin + alcohol made it way worse. Has yours gotten better?

It kinda comes and goes. It's never really bad. I hardly notice it unless I'm lying on my side. I read what you were talking about with the drunk vision, and I think that goes along with starbursting and ghosting, our eyes are having a hard time focusing right, and our pupils are having trouble contracting and dilating which causes the visual abnormalities. This either has something in my opinion with dopamine, or intraocular pressure.

It kinda comes and goes. It's never really bad. I hardly notice it unless I'm lying on my side. I read what you were talking about with the drunk vision, and I think that goes along with starbursting and ghosting, our eyes are having a hard time focusing right, and our pupils are having trouble contracting and dilating which causes the visual abnormalities. This either has something in my opinion with dopamine, or intraocular pressure.

Yeah, I've definitely felt that my eyes sometimes have a hard time focusing right, etc... Damn, I don't know anyone else except for you whose symptoms match mine so closely. I suspect it has to do with dopamine, as I've had my intraocular pressure checked several time with no issues.

Woah, read my posts. I used to have a prescription for that shit before HPPD from DXM, and I'm pretty sure that contributed to the onset in some way. Also, I once took 20mg of Ritalin after HPPD and it made my symptoms worse for a while (I'm still not sure if I have returned to baseline yet). Oh, and acording to Dr. Abrams Ritalin has been known to cause HPPD by itself.

acording to Dr. Abrams Ritalin has been known to cause HPPD by itself

Interesting. Is this in one of his articles? Do did he tell you?

I have read that people staying on Ritalin double their changes of eventually developing Parkinsons. This stands in contrast to taking dopamine agonists very early for PD usually slows the progression of the disease. So not all dopamine increasing drugs are equal. So Ritalin is harder on the neurons than PD drugs.

acording to Dr. Abrams Ritalin has been known to cause HPPD by itself

Interesting. Is this in one of his articles? Do did he tell you?

I have read that people staying on Ritalin double their changes of eventually developing Parkinsons. This stands in contrast to taking dopamine agonists very early for PD usually slows the progression of the disease. So not all dopamine increasing drugs are equal. So Ritalin is harder on the neurons than PD drugs.

Look at the comments section, it's the comment he made on August 13th, 2009:

http://amrglobal.powweb.com/hallucinogen-persisting-perception-disorder