Aiding Cognitive Dysfunction- Adderol, Wellbutrin, etc

Hey all-

So, finally starting to be seen. My most annoying/troubling symptoms have to do with my working memory/recall/general ability to think clearly (brain fog). Pre-HPPD, I was a bit of an annoyingly focused student; currently, I have trouble following through with even the simplest of tasks (especially anything requiring abstract thinking or sustained focus). Lower than normal energy levels certainly don't help.

Got some neuro-pychological testing done recently, and am eagerly awaiting the results. Some tests were freakishly easy (when it came to noticing minute differences in visual details, I was spot on), while others brought tears to my eyes (trying to remember a list of letters after counting backwards in threes). I'll be sure to share my results with y'all as soon as I have 'em- should pinpoint precisely where my specific weaknesses reside.

Anyway. My question is- has anyone had any improvement with cognitive dysfunction using the likes of adderall, wellbutrin, or sinemet? Pre-HPPD, adderall made me feel too focused/speedy; however, given my unwelcome new brain wiring/ deficiencies, perhaps it would bring me back to my much missed baseline? Wanted to check if anyone had experienced any worsening of symptoms, or unwanted side effects?

Cheers-

gobig.

Gobig,

Absolutely is the answer. But it depends on what stage you are in. If you are hallucinating still pretty hard then i would advise you not to use stimulants such as ADD meds. But as you come out of it, and you are left with residual dr/dp, anxiety, trouble with concentration and cognition, depression, etc., you should be able to augment with Wellbutrin, methylphenidate, adderall, SSRIs, etc.

I'm on a ADD med but not adderall.

Here is the thing. There are stages of sketchiness for doctors in prescribing.

So from least to most, it would be:

SSRI----->Wellbutrin--------[big leap]-------->methyphenidate--------[big leap]----->adderall-------[bigger leap]------>sinemet

So i would consider the first three as your main options. But don't mess with methylphenidate or adderall if you are hallucinating or semi/pseudo-psychotic, or delusional, etc.

I have ADD but taking my meds, say 6 months ago, was really doing myself a disservice and was not helping at all, in retrospect and truly as a matter of fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Gobig,

Absolutely is the answer. But it depends on what stage you are in. If you are hallucinating still pretty hard then i would advise you not to use stimulants such as ADD meds. But as you come out of it, and you are left with residual dr/dp, anxiety, trouble with concentration and cognition, depression, etc., you should be able to augment with Wellbutrin, methylphenidate, adderall, SSRIs, etc.

I'm on a ADD med but not adderall.

Here is the thing. There are stages of sketchiness for doctors in prescribing.

So from least to most, it would be:

SSRI----->Wellbutrin--------[big leap]-------->methyphenidate--------[big leap]----->adderall-------[bigger leap]------>sinemet

So i would consider the first three as your main options. But don't mess with methylphenidate or adderall if you are hallucinating or semi/pseudo-psychotic, or delusional, etc.

I have ADD but taking my meds, say 6 months ago, was really doing myself a disservice and was not helping at all, in retrospect and truly as a matter of fact.

I have an ADHD diagnosis and am currently on Wellbutrin, which does not help me any more. Therefore I was wanting to try Concerta (Methylphenidate) to get less aggression and better concentration. According to the docs I don´t have any bipolarity or psychotic symptoms. Since I have too much strength I have cracked my bones several times out of punching walls etc. in a state of complete fury. So I´ll definately need a mood stabilizer.. But I have unchanged severe HPPD symptoms still, so maybe I can´t use it..

Regarding cognitive dysfunction I have a dysfunction that could be compared with an senile 90 year old. I do things without remembering how or why I did them, short term memory busted, slurring disjointed speech, states of confusion.

Wellbutrin has not helped at all against the HPPD-related cognitive dysfunction. Lamictal on the other hand, did make my head a bit clearer (though I was allergic to it). Occasional use of lower benzo doses makes me a bit more clear too.

The cognitive dysfunction seems to be caused by a electric overactivity in the brain, therefore anti-EP meds such as Keppra, Lamictal etc. gives the most aid.

That's what i was gonna say Lamictal. Lamictal and an SSRI. But since you are allergic to Lamictal.

So I would be looking at Topamax and an SSRI (Celexa).

For now, this seems good, later, ADD meds could be considered.

Read up on Topamax and it sounds interesting. If you don´t get any rash it should work fine, sodium channel anti-EPs seems to cause it in a few people. That´s what I was beginning to get on Lamictal, combined with being completely unable to sleep. The rash looks like clusters of pimples, which burns/stings upon touching them.

I hope you will not have to experience any of that stuff!

I will be starting Keppra as soon as I get to meet the neurologist (psychatrist has sent request). After stabilizing on Keppra, I might get Concerta for my ADHD, if necessary. There´s a possibility Keppra might decrease the elevation of HPPD symptoms that stimulants cause.

There are many supplements that you could find with a little research that aid greatly with this symptom. I have used a few different ones, and they generally do work. I used Neuro PS with great success. And I am now using a few other ones which I have not been taking long.

Oh it really did! I remember being able to remember things for a while that I wouldn't have been able to remember preHPPD. No joke. I think you begin to tolerate it though, and the effects become much less profound. Still it helped until it ran out. And now I don't seem to have any cognitive problems that I didn't have pre hppd.

There are many supplements that you could find with a little research that aid greatly with this symptom. I have used a few different ones, and they generally do work. I used Neuro PS with great success. And I am now using a few other ones which I have not been taking long.

I see the substance in this supplement is Phosphatidylserine, a cell component which can prevent cell oxidation it seems.. Interesting! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphatidylserine

There are a few natural sources for it, mackerel which happens to be my favorite fish has 480 mg/ 100 g.

(And yeah, I'm trying to get a prescription for Keppra, the 'wonder drug' around here at the moment! But I went to a neuro today and they gave me the run around- told me I needed to be seen by a psych. Great.)

Doctors are very talented at bouncing patients around. My psychatrist sent me to a neurologist (after years of arguing for Keppra), and for you the neurologist sent you to a psychiatrist. The funny (or rather tragic) thing is that a licensed doctor can perscribe any meds, regardless of specialization. They could seriously just have done some minutes of research or consulting colleagues of why Keppra is helpful for HPPD, and given a perscription in the hand the same day.

I know! It was such a frustrating experience. All she said was, "We know Keppra can have nasty side effects, so won't be prescribing it." AKA, "Although this may help you, we need to protect ourselves first, even though you are telling us you are in a safe environment where side effects will be monitored." So yeah, sweet. I have another appointment end of the month- I set up appointments back to back in case the first psychiatrist isn't interested in giving it a trial.

What these people seem to be missing is that despite my current quality of life, I'm am not suicidal, and if some med had that effect on me, I would recognize it as a side effect, and discontinue immediately. Grrr.

Also finally got my neuro-pysch results back. And guess what? I was spot on. While I was spot on/above average across the board, my working memory was ridiculously low, which didn't match up with my other results. So, great. Difficulties learning for me. Yippee.

Hey all-

So, finally starting to be seen. My most annoying/troubling symptoms have to do with my working memory/recall/general ability to think clearly (brain fog). Pre-HPPD, I was a bit of an annoyingly focused student; currently, I have trouble following through with even the simplest of tasks (especially anything requiring abstract thinking or sustained focus). Lower than normal energy levels certainly don't help.

Got some neuro-pychological testing done recently, and am eagerly awaiting the results. Some tests were freakishly easy (when it came to noticing minute differences in visual details, I was spot on), while others brought tears to my eyes (trying to remember a list of letters after counting backwards in threes). I'll be sure to share my results with y'all as soon as I have 'em- should pinpoint precisely where my specific weaknesses reside.

Anyway. My question is- has anyone had any improvement with cognitive dysfunction using the likes of adderall, wellbutrin, or sinemet? Pre-HPPD, adderall made me feel too focused/speedy; however, given my unwelcome new brain wiring/ deficiencies, perhaps it would bring me back to my much missed baseline? Wanted to check if anyone had experienced any worsening of symptoms, or unwanted side effects?

Cheers-

gobig.

Why were you taking Adderall (pre-HPPD)? Do you have ADD/ADHD?

There has been a lot of focus on norepinephrine (NE) regarding attention/focus. That is because the locus coruleus is a 'switching-station' for states of attention and mood ... and these little blue spots use 90% of the brains NE. So your psychiatrist may push an SNRI (which I cannot recommend if you have HPPD). If you have ADHD, then they will focus more on the dopamine/norepinephrine connections.

There has been discussion as well regarding acetylcholine being involved in memory. Certainly the supplement industry pushes this. Here is one study http://onesci.com/jo...e_journal_9.pdf.

My experience with Keppra is that it trashes memory and cognition. Some other members have stated this. Others express improvement or little problem.

My experience with Wellbutrin is good in small amounts, but cannot tollerate normal dosing.

My experience with Sinemet is very possitive. No real side-effects, can think clearer. It improves the quality of my good time, however my 'good time' is still only a few hours and significant fatigue and some cognitive problems remain. More is needed (if indeed I can recover)

Perhaps this info helps you ...

I take this little number to great effect. I have been drinking a lot amidst the return of my friends from University and the several birthdays that permeate this particular calendar month. I take it many times a day, and cognitively feel pretty damn good. The way I see it as long as "I'm all there" I can forgo the painful experience of monitoring my symptoms and not drinking this week. I seem to be all right, anyways. So far, at least.

http://www.mushroomwisdom.com/products_detail.php?product_id=51&productCat=brain-mate&maitake_id=

I know! It was such a frustrating experience. All she said was, "We know Keppra can have nasty side effects, so won't be prescribing it." AKA, "Although this may help you, we need to protect ourselves first, even though you are telling us you are in a safe environment where side effects will be monitored." So yeah, sweet. I have another appointment end of the month- I set up appointments back to back in case the first psychiatrist isn't interested in giving it a trial.

What these people seem to be missing is that despite my current quality of life, I'm am not suicidal, and if some med had that effect on me, I would recognize it as a side effect, and discontinue immediately. Grrr.

Also finally got my neuro-pysch results back. And guess what? I was spot on. While I was spot on/above average across the board, my working memory was ridiculously low, which didn't match up with my other results. So, great. Difficulties learning for me. Yippee.

Their thinking can often be very paradoxical.. Keep on going and you´ll get Keppra in the end.

Besides poor working memory, did the test reveal any kind of diagnosis. ADHD, Asperger etc.?

I have a combined type ADHD (inattentive & hyperactive) and Autism spectrum disorder (very mild autism).

I agree largely with Visual.

I disagree with SNRIs because the S & the N are at a fixed ratio. You cannot raise levels of just the serotonin or just the norepinephrine with an SNRI.

The better choice IMO is an SSRI and a NRI. [ie: 2 separate drugs].

In terms of acetylcholine, drugs like Aricept inhibit the metabolism of aCh. They are marginally effective for dementia and IMG would be marginally effective for us.

Wellbutrin works directly with neurons presynaptically to produce NE. But It is also an NRI.