Eh, just got off my first phone call trying to schedule an appointment to be seen. Incredibly painful. After explaining/describing the situation:

"...So you want to be checked into our drug rehabilitation/ substance abuse program?"

"No, no, I'm not addicted and I don't abuse drugs. Never have. I mean, I've used drugs, but only a handful of times, and I was never addicted or anything..."

Irritated silence.

"Okay, so you're hallucinating?"

"No, like I said before, it's not hallucinations...just visual disturbances. I repeat, I do not have, and have never had delusions or symptoms of pychosis. Anxiety and depression, yes, but they are ancillary to the other symptoms."

Irritated silence.

"Um, I'll leave a note, but I don't think anyone will be able to see you without a recommendation/consultation..."

And so it begins! So looking forward to this.

Any 'interesting' doctor horror stories to share? Or, on the positive flip side, support/success stories?

You looking to go to sierra-tucson? ..You might as well say they [visual disturbances] are hallucinations.

Because in my mind i think they are low level hallucinations. The problem is mostly not in your eyes. So then it's in your brain. Anyway, it's coming down to semantics.

Doctors are only as good as you feel. It you feel great and are in good health, than everything's all cupcakes, rainbows and unicorns.

If you don't feel you are living up to the potential of your brain and your senses, it seems like the world is against you.

My experience with psyche-doctors is that you have to rate them on a personal level. I know one guy pretty well and i basically think he is a totally douchebag, not as a doctor but as a person. But for those reasons I don't go to him.

I'll tell you about doctors. I had a collapsed lung, i went into surgery, they dys-regulated my morphine after the surgery but before i had awakened, and my breathing slowed to 2-3 times a minute. And i nearly died.

So some are sht and others quite helpful.

I think you are in L.A., i would have advised someone from UCLA but he has moved near me here in the Northeast. You have to go to someone who specializes in drug-induced psychosis. Because good luck with finding someone for hallucinogen-induced visual disturbances.

Where are you gonna go Walmart Eye Care? ..lol

For you, you need to find the right psyche-doc and i may be able to help you.

I think there are only a certain amount of options available:

1. Medical Drugs

2. Therapy

3. Diet/exercise

4. Some form of experimental therapy [whether pharmaceutical or other]

Go in there knowing all you can, and they will shut the fck up and listen.

Actually, in my experience, the more knowledgeable and certain i sound, the more they think im a webmd hypochondriac...as far as semantics, if you call them hallucinations, they will immediately think seeing people and shit that arent there, ala psychosis, so i definitely agree with visual distrubances

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By facesofhppd.com
      June 11, 2019 
      SUBJ: Faces of HPPD Survey/Research Published – RESULTS!
      Dear HPPD Online Community:
      As a mom with a grown son with HPPD, I was so fortunate to come across this forum several years ago for information and support.  David Kozin, who runs this board, is an amazing man to have created and maintained this website and kept up his work/studies over the years – all the while suffering with HPPD.  I would like to thank him for this platform, and well as thank those of you who participated in the survey that I launched four years ago to collect data about individuals who had received an official diagnosis of the disorder.  
      Fast forward…. Here it is June 2019.  Long overdue for the published report, however, I lingered – always hoping to gain a larger sample of subjects.
      I am fortunate to have a PhD in psychology, experience in research, and a heart to try to make a difference. Instead of publishing a book, it only made sense to get the results in the hands of the scientists and medical professionals through scientific writing. I am so happy to tell you… the peer-reviewed medical journal, Addictive Disorders & Their Treatment, published by Wolters Kluwer publishers, has reviewed and accepted my manuscript for publication in an upcoming issue.  Last week the article completed rounds of publication editing and formatting.  The article is posted at their website for advance release.  
      Lewis, DM, Faces of HPPD: Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder Patient Survey Results and a Descriptive Analysis of Patient Demographics, Medical Background, Drug Use History, Symptoms, and Treatments.  Addictive Disorders and their Treatments. Forthcoming 2019. 
      The link is here: https://journals.lww.com/addictiondisorders/Abstract/publishahead/FACES_OF_HPPD__Hallucinogen_Persisting_Perception.99733.aspx     
      (NOTE:  This direct link will change probably in a month or two when the article is given a print-issue date – right now, it is advance copy, undated.  In the future, you can search the article at https://journals.lww.com/addictiondisorders/ .
      While the article is available for immediate download, many of you know that publishers charge money for copy downloads (this one is $49), and authors cannot give away their copy. This, I know, is not a good thing for some within the community who do not have the funds.
      However (here’s the good news 😉), I contacted the publisher and obtained permission to publish a summary of the results (the important data!) and I created an infographic that provides you all the results.  I am including it here as a .pdf file, attached. It’s reader-friendly, and I hope it provides insight.
      I want to mention some findings that particularly concern me:  the high rate of suicide ideation (among other co-morbid psychological/psychiatric symptoms reported), and the significant number of individuals who reported being unable to work due to HPPD.  I feel strongly that HPPD needs recognition as potentially disabling – and I believe there are some individuals who may need government assistance (eg, Social Security Disability benefits).  My future work leads me in the direction of carving a path for HPPD as a qualifying mental disorder for eligibility for assistance. I will keep you posted on that.
      Again, thank you so very much for those who partook in the survey.  
      My best wishes to each of you for good health and peace of mind, 
      Doreen M. Lewis, PhD
      https://www.facesofhppd.com
      https://www.vellichorresearch.com 

Faces of HPPD Infographic - LEWIS.pdf
    • By therocknamedwonder
      Has anyone had any positive effects OR negative effects with kratom or valerian? Specifically red vein kratom.
      Does taking either of these plants affect your HPPD? In what way? Thank you! 🙂
    • By Andando
      I have had HPPD for 15 years, 
      I am much better now than when it started, I have tried so many natural and psychological techniques that I feel its the right time to test if certain Medical treatment could work.
      My main symptoms are now anxiety, depression, heavy brainfog, visual snow, problems reading - writing, focusing and depersonalisation sometimes.
      I have found a neurologist in the city of Barcelona where I live, and I will like to ask you guys for a favour before I meet him:
      is there is an order for which meds are to be tried first?
      which meds in your view have been the most successful in treating some symptoms?.is there a page with these things online?
      I tried a low dose of diazepam and the day after my symptoms where very high again so I stopped, same thing with an antidepressant.
      Having said all of this I will like to share some hopeful news too:  I have been fortunate to have had days with almost no symptoms, have traveled extensively, managed to finish my BA in fine arts, lived in various countries, got my drivers license, can now read (even though i get confused sometimes), I can hold conversations much better (less DP), at the beginning of this disorder my life was very very miserable now its a lot better.
      Thank you for reading.

• By Deleted account
      >Visits the doctors about HPPD, doctor doesn't know anything about HPPD
      >Tells doctor about persisting drug-induced hallucinations and panic attacks, gets referred to a drug and alcohol service
      >Makes it clear that there is no history of addiction or continued use, gets referred to psychiatrists
      >Open to suggestion, trying not to be classed as a drug-seeker, I accept the anti-psychotic prescription Seroquel
      >Takes Seroquel, makes HPPD worse, notifies doctors of this 
      >Is offered SSRI anti-depressants for panic attacks, rejected them
      >Prescribed antipsychotic Olanzepine (Zyprexa), which doesn't do anything for HPPD, and Diazepam (Valium) for panic attacks, which also does nothing
      >Moved to a mental health facility so that doctors can sort medication out
      >Psychiatrists conclude that panic disorder can fix itself and that the HPPD visuals are psychotic hallucinations
      >Prescribes Aripiprazole (Abilify), and took away the Diazepam, which made HPPD worse, and induced anxiety and hypertension (high blood pressure)
      Psychiatrists insist that benzo's are unsafe and should only be used short term due to risk of addiction, despite no history of addiction and the thousands of milligrams worth of any benzodiazepine it would take to actually be fatal. 
      Big fuck you to every single doctor out there who hasn't done their research and has treated every HPPD patient like this. I have already explained to them that the most effective treatment for HPPD include anti-convulsants, but they do not listen. Instead they want to chuck as many anti-psychotics and anti-depressants at me as possible, hoping that I will come across one that will eventually kill me. These doctors are not here to help, they are here to kill and deny effective treatment. Even if addiction were a problem (which is not if you do not abuse medicaiton),  I'd rather be addicted to a drug than have HPPD for the rest of my life. Now I will proceed to seek medication illegally because this medical system has failed me. 

• By Mike
      This is interesting....

Was browsing some medical things today and came across this med that came out recently.  It made me think it may be beneficial to this underserved area due to its unique mechanism of action.  
      It's essentially an add on antipsychotic BUT it doesn't work like any other antipsychotic on the market.  It targets 5HT2A almost exclusively as an inverse agonist and to a much lower extent at 5HT2C.  You guys probably know that LSD, psychedelics, ect, target 5HT2A as an agonist, this is essentially a down regulator at that site in other words calming overexcitability.  That's kind of simplifying it but it look interesting and nothing else seems to help much other than time.  The side effect profile is suppose to be low because it does not effect dopamine receptors that cause Parkinsonism, Tardive dyskinesia.  Its used to treat hallucinations in Parkinson's because it doesn't mess with dopamine.  
      I know there's some people on this board that know about all the pharmacology and this looks like it's hitting where it needs to, and a new avenue, there is no other inverse agonist on the 5HTA2 receptor on the market, might be worth a shot, best of luck to all of you, give it a look.
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimavanserin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_agonist

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT2A_receptor

http://www.parkinson.org/find-help/blogs/whats-hot/april-2016
      ^^^^^ bullet points sum up above link ^^^^^

Best

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.