thiamine for improved sleep

brendan

in experimenting with thiamine, i didnt really notice much benefit, but for two days after taking about a gram i had really relaxed, long mellow sleeps. Looking at google, this seems to be noticed by other people too. But my wife complained i smelled like bovril. Will experiment with lower doses. I bought a bag of cheap thiamine powder off ebay uk.

Hey Brendan. I've been taking multiple vitamins for years, including Thiamine (Vitamin B1). There have been times when I've stopped taking my vitamins and I honestly can't say it disrupted my HPPD or sleep patterns, but thats just for me, of course, everyone is different. This is just a theory, but perhaps the promise that Thiamine will grant a better sleep produces a placebo effect, and in-turn allows for your better sleeps?

I dont think its placebo since i discovered the effect before i knew of its promise (same thing happened with acetyl cysteine which i took for hangover not as a brain fog cure which it turned out to be) - i looked up whether the effect was known only after i had noticed it. I just wondered whether it was just one of those things (ie i just had a really good kip for no discernable reason) or if it might have been due to the thiamine or herbal tea i had also started drinking (nettle and gingko - tried this tea on its own but had no sleep effect so discounted it). It could still be one of those things and may not be repeated, but thought i would share it now even if it might be a bit premature. I tried half the original dose last night and maybe had a little effect but nothing i would notice if i hadnt been looking. I'll try full dose again tonight and risk getting whinged at for smelling of beef.

I have also tried taking multivits, and tried higher dose b vit supps without noticeable effects. The doses i am using in this experiment are huge -nearly 3 orders higher than the rda, so may be getting a more pharmaceutical effect rather than just nutritional (i also notice some positive effects of d3, b6 and b12 in megadose). The dose that i took when i had the sleep effect was a 1ml scoop, so probably a little less than a gram. The rda is 1.4mg according to wikipedia:

"The RDA in most countries is set at about 1.4 mg. However, tests on female volunteers at daily doses of about 50 mg have claimed an increase in mental acuity.[15] There are no reports available of adverse effects from consumption of excess thiamine by ingestion of food and supplements. Because the data is inadequate for a quantitative risk assessment, no Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) can be derived for thiamine."