are antidepressants a bad idea?

martifer

(i have found some companies have better drugs <depending on your drug>; I just want to see if you are on the same drug company as me)

The guys who initially made the stuff make it good .....the generic i have is pretty good too......but a few times i got a different generic and it was shit.

Ok.......mine is different............but you definitely have the good stuff................Once a patent is up, it can be made generically by any company.........but the percent of the drug, bioavailibilty, matrices etc can all be different and maybe a different of 50% to 100% pure.

The word on the "street" is that SSRIs help with BDNF (Brain Derived Neuron Factors), a grouping of hormones which includes NGF (Nerve Growth Factor). In other words, SSRIs increase regrowth of brain cells.

This has been shown in rat models, mainly, i believe. This info is straight from the horse's mouth (so trust me on this one).

Serotonin can eventually increase cell growth in the hippocampus.

However, HPPD is primarily in the cerebral cortex which is unable to grow new neurons but does grow new synaptic connections. Learning (in all aspects) is the most effective way to grow connections.

• Upvote 1

sensory cortex: There are a couple ~cm-sized mid-sections of the cortex about ~3/4 from the front of the brain and a small area (probably somewhat near the knot in the back of your head). ......But the question is: is "treating" these localized areas (cortex) effective to alleviate symptoms of HPPD?..............IDK....these areas play some part .......but...in terms of the brain, are they the genesis of the problem?......hmm

Another issue that I have been looking at is MAOI and SSRI interaction. People on MAOIs should not take SSRIs

(....how many times have you heard that one on TV lol). [i think the main problem is serotonin syndrome]

Here's the thing: there seem to be a sht-load of MAOIs in nature. Let me list you some: Nutmeg, Turmeric, Green Tea, Black Pepper, Dill, Licorice, Tobacco, Parsley, Olive Oil, Ginkgo biloba, and Coffee etc.

β-Carbolines are indole alkaloids. Ayahuasca is a β-Carboline. β-Carbolines act as MAOIs and Benzodiazepine-Inhibitors. β-Carboline are (or will be) used pharmaceutically.

I am not totally convinced the Benzos are the end-all treatment/cure for HPPD. In fact I think that it may be somewhat beneficial for people who are on absolutely no drugs (prescription or otherwise) to look into MAOIs/β-Carbolines as a possible short-term treatment.

β-Carbolines + SSRIs (or β-Carboline + Benzos) can be detrimental from mild to terribly extreme.

But you can see here why some people would say ayahuasca is an idea for treatment for both its effects on GABA and monoamine-metabolism.

There are other MAOIs and β-Carboline some more safe, some more dangerous.

In some ways, once you are past the initial acute phase of persistant hallucinogen hangover, that Benzos may do little more than sedating and having a semi-narcotic effect.

In reality the problem is not being solved but being masked. I truly believe that if Benzos were the answer there would be no reason for sites such as this.

No doubt they are wonder drugs for their time (and even up to this point), but in my thoughts the answer lies somewhere else. I am not saying the answer is anywhere near

carbolines etc. but i am merely proposing far-out ideas all in the hopes of find other treatments and will do so until we all start feeling better.

• 6 years later...

Hello there. I am also a sufferer of hppd. I would like to say that, in my own intuition, a lot of you target the depression, dp, dr, anxiety and other related illnesses to cope with the ongoing visuals of HPPD. But I want to tell you, you have hope. Treating these is a bandaid, and I say that because, if you were to get rid of all your visual phenomena, how would you feel? You’d probably jump for joy until your feet hurt. I say, ask your doctor about medications that can target the VISUAL symptoms rather than the depression. A lot of times you’ll find that the meds used will treat the comorbid disorders that you face. I’ve had hppd for three months now, but do not forget, chronic hppd IS reversible. Do not lose hope and do not give up on your passions. I currently take 2mg clonazepam, .2mg clonodine, 10mg lexapro and I feel great. Over time, my visuals have been slightly reduced! I’m being titrated up on these meds as well, and one symptom that has disappeared for me is scheerers phenomenon. (Look that up). I can tell you, you CAN be fixed with a combination of meds right for you. I believe that a combination of GABAergic medication along with SSRI treatment can reverse the visuals that we all suffer from. I have hope that one day I won’t have these visuals anymore. Not one or the other, but both combined. I also believe that lamictal can be a great option for those who suffer from visuals and other mental disorders comorbid with it. There is most certainly a way to clear your visuals, I promise. You can go back to seeing how you used to, before you used psychedelics/dissosiatives. I only used lsd 5 times and got hppd, chronic. If that ain’t a bitch I don’t know what is. But what I can tell you is I never lost hope in recovery. It is not curable, but it is reversible. Do some studying, don’t just sit on these forums and stop looking at reddit. All you’re gonna get are asshats who tell you to just “deal with it” or that it’s a “gift” it’s not. Believe in God, and let him take care of you and guide you in the direction of treatment. BELIEVE you can get better, and I promise you’ll have a new and improved attitude and be better in no time. I hope I didn’t offend anyone and I’m not giving false hope. There Are studies indicating treatment options. It may take a lot of time, but if one med doesn’t work, damnit move on to the next. Here’s a list of meds to try. 2-3 mg of klon. For 2-3 months. .25-.75 clonodine for 2 months. Naltrexone (unspecified dose) for 2 months. Lamictal 100-200 mg for an unspecified amount of time. Lexapro/sertraline (most other ssris don’t work) for 2 months, and you will have better luck in combo with xanax/Klon. Ativan and valium are too weak. Risperidone and other antipsychotics are a NO GO unless your hppd was caused by PCP. A lot of times, the first meds you try won’t work. But don’t give up, talk to your doctor. Remind them that this is incurable and you need to go through every treatment possible to find the right answer for you. Let Jesus take care of you as well, he shed his blood for your healing, least you could do is believe that he’ll take care of you ;). I hope I could give someone in distress some hope :).