Stalevo a medication that contains entacapone in combination with carbidopa and levodopa (active ingredients in Sinemet).

Hey Guys,

Just saw this medication under :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entacapone

it is called Stalevo it seams to contain a combination of the very medication DR. Abraham used in his recent trial in may with a %75 success rate? please correct me if im wrong !

i am aware that tasmar ie :Tolcopone is highly toxic to the liver and thus why it is not recommended i know i would not take it as it has crazy side effects just wondering if this combination would be better as it contains the same incredents as sinemet with what may be a corrected form or more tolerable form of Entacapone???

someone with some medical knowledge can you help me understand this would it be benificial or is entacapone just as toxic !

945. Catechol-O-Methyl Tranferase lnhibition Reduces Symptoms of Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder

Henry D. Abraham

Psychiatry, Tufts University, Boston, MA

Background: Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD) is a poorly understood disorder arising from the use of hallucinogens. It is characterized by continuous visual disturbances which can be lifelong. There is no known treatment. Studies of HPPD patients with qEEG mapping show that the disorder is represented by disinhibition in the cerebral cortex. Inhibition of catechol-Omethyl transferase (COMT) increases inhibition of sensory input in humans carrying the G/G polymorphism. Accordingly, I hypothesized that inhibition of COMT would reduce symptoms in HPPD.

Methods: A single-dose, open label trial of a tolcapone, carbidopa, and L-dopa was conducted in 17 consecutive HPPD subjects. Visual symptoms in

each subject were coded on a 0 to 7 Likert scale before, and two hours after, drug administration. A paired Student t-test was used to determine statistical significance.

Results: The mean pre-drug visual symptom score for the entire sample was 4.7 +l- 2.6, compared to the post-drug score af 3.7 +l- 2.8 (P= .001). A post hoc median split of the percent response of each subject was 51% symptom reduction in the upper half of responders compared to 1% in the lower half, suggesting a bimodal sample.

Conclusions: Inhibition of COMT is a novel approach in the treatment of HPPD. The bimodal treatment response is consistent with the action of a functional polymorphism in the COMT gene. Future directions include a double blind, placebo controlled trial of this treament and a determination of COMT polymorphism in responders and non-responders.

Keyword(s): HPPD, COMT, tolcapone, carbidopa, DOPA