Why hangovers make vs worse

ferret

I went to the eye doctor a few days ago. I didn't tell her about hppd I just told her that I see static in the dark. She said that eye strain or dehydration could lead to that. That is probably why glasses/contacts reduce visual snow. The dehydration thing is probably why hangovers tend to increase visual snow. I still don't know why alcohol does permanent damage to some people but knowing that the temporary effects most people experience from alcohol is harmless makes me feel a little better about drinking but I'm still gonna wait.

Dehydration has nothing to do with why HPPD and hangovers.

Dehydration is a main cause of hangovers. Dehydration can cause otherwise healthy people to have temporary visual snow in the dark. People with HPPD often report worse Visual snow while hangover. It seems logical that a temporary increase of visual snow in hppd sufferers after drinking is caused by dehydration rather than by something more serious. Why don't you agree? I'm not saying that drinking isn't risky for us as some people have reported long term damage from it I'm just saying that increases in visual snow after drinking probably is nothing to worry about.

I'm with ferret on this one, alcohol causes dehydration and that's the main cause of hangovers. and dude when I'm really really dehydrated my snow is so bad i feel like I'm trippin again. like seriously everything changes color too and trails get way worse. stay hydrated guys!

Spoke to Dr. Abraham about this. The exacerbation of symptoms after alcohol use is way more intricate and complex than dehydration. Forgot the details but perhaps Visual can comment.

Do you guys get really ill from a few beers or are you worried about it making hppd worse?

I can have probably 5-6 bottles of beer* without any problems the next day and I don't think it does any long term damage. I'm not saying you should all go out drinking all the time, but a few beers probably wont harm most of you.

* beer from the tap seems to give worse hangovers

I used to drink 3 beers once per week and deal with minor anxiety. Any more than three and I'd be pushing it.

About 2 years ago, my threshold lowered so if I have so much as a one beer I am really really bad.

HPPD effects us all differently

I don't see whats so useless about this info. I didn't know that dehydration could cause temporary VS in healthy people. I now feel like the increase in snow after my last time drinking was probably just due to a regular hangover rather than potentially serious damage to my brain.

Dr. Abraham put it in plain English that drinking and HPPD is like playing with dynamite. GABA is badly affected but seriously talk with a member who is more scientifically inclined.

Sorry ferret, i meant my post on this was useless and irrelevant about me missing drinking, sorry dude lol

I found i was fine to drink a few drinks but also i would fine it would trigger bad anxiety even from just a few and in my case once i start, i don't stop till i'm completely railed so best to avoid it all together as it eventually increased my symptoms. I miss it a hell of a lot though, drinking was a big part of who i was.

My dp and dr flared up crazy on a hangover, the snow and all the rest remained the same and the hangovers lasted days post hppd

Dr. Abraham put it in plain English that drinking and HPPD is like playing with dynamite. GABA is badly affected but seriously talk with a member who is more scientifically inclined.

Did he indicate heavy drinking or ANY drinking?

I've never been a heavy drinker. Only 3 hangovers in my life. The GABA thing seems to be involved. Taking Klonopin reduces the effect (and aftereffect) of alcohol for me. But I'm probably wired ass-backwards. Sinemet also reduces the effect of alcohol for me.

In general, the message keeps coming forth to drink minimally if at all (brain injury groups, Parkinsons groups, anxiety/depression groups, and some members here). The next day is never as good if I had even a single drink the night before. Too bad. But is isn't visuals that are 'stressed' ... it is anxiety, deperssion, focus, fatigue.

Heavy drinking does damage the Cerebellum, but it takes 10 or more years to show.

drinking alcohol is definitely playing with fire imo. no matter how bad your hppd is, alcohol can creep up on you later and bite you in the ass even if you're only having a small amount every so often. baring in mind i have mild hppd, i would usually go out once or twice a week and have no more than 4 cans as im quite a light weight. but this would never have a permanent affect on my symptoms untill last friday when i was out and got drunk off my usual amount not going past my limit as i have read that hangovers can cause full blown hppd. had work the next the morning so i only got around 3 hours sleep and i was pretty dehydrated. got to around 11 am and i was having a dpdr attack/ bad anxiety and everything was just really weird, i was working at a festival and this was the first time i had ever got a flashback when sober. ive decided to completely cut out alcohol completely cos i honestly do think it makes hppd worse, sadly it took me 5 months to realise this and im now left with increased vs symptons

I have no info on this accept my own experiences. Of course dehydration makes hangovers worse, but I drink plenty of water when I drink and still feel shitty for a good portion of the next day (visuals ect..). but I could care less about visuals, the anxiety and dp/dr is what kills me.

I highly doubt that being dehydrated (unless you drink no water) is what causes these unbearable hangovers. "GABA is badly affected"" sounds like a much better theory to me.

When drinking, plenty of times I've drank 2 to 3x's the amount of water then alcohol and yet still crazy hangovers.

I seriously doubt alcohol can cause long term damage. Or I wouldn't be holding down a job, have a nice house, cars ect..

Even smoking a good deal of weed only effects my visuals for 1 to 5 days max.

I am on a high dose of klonopin though and that could easily be killing the anxiety that creates such visuals from drinking ect.. If you want to drink,drink just don't become an alcholic!!

Some of my greatest memories during hppd is while having some beers w/ friends and going out.

Nobody knows but I'm not letting hppd hold me back anymore then it already has B)

I really wish alcohol didn't make HPPD worse. I'm bassically cured but it would suck to regress because of drinking. I'm definately staying sober untill august but I don't know about after that. I never really get hungover. I've drank on two ocassions since HPPD and the first time was great but the second time left me with more snow and anxiety for a few days. I've never been a heavy drinker but I'm going to college in the fall and not drinking would be really hard. I think I'm going to take my chances with a few drinks twice a month. I'm at the point right now where I can enter a dark room without noticing the snow, If I could just drink I would be living completely normallly.

MikeZero, man I'm sorry to hear that! So dam confusing that alcohol could cause longterm damage w/o consistent abuse?? This is why it's impossible to give advise about hppd and doing any kinda drug!

I know! It sucks. And I thought I was playing it safe. Ha! But it's alright. Symptoms are still purely visual, so in that, they are relatively minor in comparison to many others.

Mine was the same, my symptoms increased very gradually from drinking but on a subtle level until they were very noticeable, the first thing i noticed was ghosting gradually getting worse over the months then one day after a binge i woke up with starbursting everywhere and intensified visuals that have never decreased since, since i stopped drinking my symptoms have been strong but stable.

I'd like to get drunk too, but sadly i'm too scared to risk it getting worse. Man, i loved alcohol it was one of my main stress relievers going out and running amuck with my mates and now i have to stand there sober and try make the most of it, it is no where near as fun. eh....