Boozing

martifer

After onset of mild hppd and a DP episode i quit drugs and drinkin for awhile but recently ive gone back into my routine of getting really godamn drunk all the time because im in college and thats what we do. like black out maybe once a week. i havent noticed any worsening of symptoms from it but..... is this gonna bite me in the ass later?

hard to say.... I've been heavy on the booze for 20 years or so, and it doesn't affect my hppd in any long term way.... But others have said it has made them worse.

Maybe try and find a middle ground, stick to bottled beer, try and drink a glass of water here and there.

I've always thought that letting my hair down and having fun keeps me going though... I think the pros outweight the cons

I was a pretty bad booze hound before hppd i only recently just stopped about a month and a half ago( I'm 10 months into my hppd), i found that it increased my visual symptoms on a very suttle level until they got to where they are now which is much worse then when this started. The hangovers i found were much worse then what i was used to and the visual symptoms would intensify, it would make me bed ridden for a whole day where as before i could keep bending on for a few days. So for me it did end up biting me in the arse later, be careful man.

Alc. itself won't bite you in the ass. The decisions you make while drinking can, especially if you're blacking out! Make sure you stay away from driving obviously.

Addiction will screw your life up, so after school (even now) careful w/ that, Live it up, I miss those college parties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's important to remember that alcohol is a drug. It's not often thought of this way because its use is so commonplace.

We know that those with HPPD can be extra sensitive to drugs which can make things worse, either temporarily, or permanently. Whether that's prescription drugs (SSRIs), hard drugs (MDMA), or soft drugs (cannabis). Why this is so is not exactly clear.

Therefore, if you drink, especially heavily, then you inevitably run the risk of making things worse for yourself. Personally, I think it's not worth it, and so I have given up drinking entirely. Others have different opinions on the matter.

For what it's worth, my symptoms got dramatically worse around a time when I was home for Christmas, and so I was going out drinking a lot with old friends. Whether the alcohol had anything to do with it is impossible to say, my last drug use was one month previous, and that could well have been the cause. But what I do know is before December I only had visual snow and cell-like floaters, whereas now I have a dozen other symptoms.

Take a look at this poll: http://hppdonline.co...effect-on-hppd/ - note that for the majority, they think alcohol has an effect on their HPPD. 70% is a large percentage. Only 10% said it had no effect. Granted, this is only a small sample of people (30), but it is a sample of people nonetheless.

Even if there is not effect on the HPPD itself, many report that hangovers are hell. If hangovers are worse than they should be, then surely that cannot be healthy.

And a view of an expert, (Dr. Abraham), "Abstinence from recreational drugs and alcohol is, needless to say, imperative." He also told me over the phone that alcohol can make HPPD worse.

At the end of the day, it's your choice, just know the risks...

i once or twice a week i;d say and it doesnt effect my hppd in the long run, just on the hangover day

i think it's fine to drink as long as you arent having a horrible time the next day. but like jay said i'd maybe not drink to the point of blackin out every time :P that might cause issues i;d say

If you are drinking to blackout once a week, plus drinking on other days too, it sounds to me like you are abusing alcohol pretty seriously and IMO if you continue in this way it will lead to serious physical/mental health issues at some point. I have been there myself; I think it is easy to underestimate the damage alcohol can do as it is legal and socially acceptable.

People who say that alcohol doesn't effect their HPPD longterm don't really know because it is possible that if they weren't drinking their recovery would be going much better. But with that said I plan to start drinking again within the next several months just no more than once a week and not to get hammered or blackout just to get drunk enough to have a good time.

Boozing eventually caught up with me. Brought my nearly dissipated HPPD back to a whole new level of hell and has been this way for a few years now. So careful with the blacking out and getting smashed all the time. It may just catch up with you. I must say I did have a pre-existing liver condition, however- I was told by doctors, "it's benign." I'd say count your losses and lay off as much as you can. Makes being social harder when all your friends drink but your future and health are worth it.

Yea, id been feelin great for like these past 2 weeks...id say alot of my symptoms ARE better...i knew i felt better because the little demon on my shoulder started urging me to be the old me again...so i drank, heavily, for 2 days in a row (but nowhere NEAR blackout)...

afterimages definitely got worse, and i have been feeling VERY depressed. OEVs also became slightly noticeable in total darkness once more. It'll go away soon, i know, especially once i get my hand on some benzos, but it definitely DOES affect hppd.

Also i smoked weed, and i was watchin tv and i saw two of everything...not like ghosting, but like a face would be two of the same face side to side, like seeing through 1 eye except with both eyes open? does that happen to anyone

Boozing eventually caught up with me. Brought my nearly dissipated HPPD back to a whole new level of hell and has been this way for a few years now. So careful with the blacking out and getting smashed all the time. It may just catch up with you. I must say I did have a pre-existing liver condition, however- I was told by doctors, "it's benign." I'd say count your losses and lay off as much as you can. Makes being social harder when all your friends drink but your future and health are worth it.

Thats kinda shit. Id say im at the final push and about to.call myself healed in a week or so. I was hoping I can go back to the occasional beer in a month or so?