Upcoming EEG Test with Neurologist (First Post)

TheHazz

Hey everyone I've followed this site for a long time and finally decided to make an account to interact with everyone. I've had HPPD since November with very slow improvements (physical symptoms more annoying than visual).

Basically I have an EEG test next week and was wondering what should I expect from it in terms of results and impact on HPPD at the time?

I've also been trying to get Clonazepam from my Pysch who seems willing to prescribe that depending on the results from the Neuro after seeing an absract, However recently I think It may be best to try and ask for Keppra or Lamitcal? Has anyone had any positive results from any of these medications?

Also I previously tried Citalopram wich made visual and physical symptoms worse, Diazepam has helped with anxiety. Was recently offered low dose Anti-Pyscotics but refused them.

Any help or information to help me with this would be greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 3

Hi! I've had multiple EEG's done, by demand of the psych clinic that labeled me histrionic and lied about knowing about hppd. 

I also had to do an MRI scan.

Let's get right to the point:

The EEG scan doesn't show up ANYTHING. Everything showed up as normal with me. It's a waste of time. I did a QEEG and this did show many abnormalities though.

They never saw this as relevant at all. 

You have to be careful with doctors when you have hppd. Very careful.

Especially if your neuro sends you to a psychiatrist!!! If he does, contact me!

I've had some very nasty experiences with them.

Be warned.

• Upvote 3

Can you list your physical symptoms?  This might narrow down the class of med you would respond well to.

EEGs are usually 'normal' for HPPDers.  But it is good to have this test done.  qEEGs are EEGs with more mathamatical analysis applied.  These show differences associated with HPPD.  Not sure if they can take the EEG data and send it to be 'crunched' or if you have to do it as its own proceedure ... but it is worth asking.

• Upvote 1

Can you list your physical symptoms?  This might narrow down the class of med you would respond well to.

EEGs are usually 'normal' for HPPDers.  But it is good to have this test done.  qEEGs are EEGs with more mathamatical analysis applied.  These show differences associated with HPPD.  Not sure if they can take the EEG data and send it to be 'crunched' or if you have to do it as its own proceedure ... but it is worth asking.

Have you seen the results of the PET scans of VS patients?

http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/topic/3849-the-relation-between-migraine-typical-migraine-aura-and-visual-snow

• Upvote 1

My physical symptoms are anxiety, brain fog, DP/DR although the last two aren't as bad as others have spoke of on here.

Hi! I've had multiple EEG's done, by demand of the psych clinic that labeled me histrionic and lied about knowing about hppd. 

I also had to do an MRI scan.

Let's get right to the point:

The EEG scan doesn't show up ANYTHING. Everything showed up as normal with me. It's a waste of time. I did a QEEG and this did show many abnormalities though.

They never saw this as relevant at all. 

You have to be careful with doctors when you have hppd. Very careful.

Especially if your neuro sends you to a psychiatrist!!! If he does, contact me!

I've had some very nasty experiences with them.

Be warned.

It was my pysch who recommended me to get the eeg done. Im not too worried with her as she seems reasonable in her attitude and is aware this is an after effect of the drug and not something like schizophrenia

• Upvote 1