Keppra Vs Clonazepam

Hi all,

Just wanted to know the pros and cons of each as you were, I have a doctors appointment middle of this month and I will be asking to be placed on meds (again). I had strongly believed in not using them however the amount of people I've read about who have found relief from either of the 2 drugs makes me wonder if I would be better off to give them a try for a limited amount of time and see if there are any improvements.

I have read lots on both, also about addiction and also withdrawal so I think I know what I am facing, also how I may think I'm cured (for want of a better phraze) and it just be the drugs masking any anxiety.

I am suffering from anxiety however that is not what I want to use these for, it is concentrating on the hppd and visual symptoms I'm facing, thats what and why I want to use the meds.

So yeh, any thoughts on which of the 2 I should be asking? Anything to watch out for? Any peoples experiences - both positive and negative?

If you have a decent doctor... see if you can get on Keppra, it is low risk and has worked for a good number of people.

If you go down the Klonopin route, just take it 1-2 times a week.... unless you are suicidal, I don't see the point in getting addicted and risking burning out your receptors even more. Klonopin really is a magic bullet for most, but if you want relief with it for the rest of your life (or until a better treatment is found) then you have to make sure not to get addicted. Once your addicted, you lose that magic bullet forever.

what receptors does it supposedly burn out?i dropped my dose and went back up still waiting on a full response after 2 weeks. normal is .5mg twice a day been on it for about 2 years now. didnt know it could perm. do anything. but yea clonazepam was great before i decided to drop then it was hell now stilltrying to get up to my normal again. id go with klono from what i hear. the withdrawal effects could be worse but the side effects of keppra scare me along with some stories.

I think Jay's advice is right on. If you can bury your head and just keep plowing through you'll eventually be in a better place mentally. If you want to try something Keppra seems to be of help to quite a few (I am trying it soon too), therefore it might be something good to try. Clonazepam is best for when you're in a really bad place and need some short term help. As you already know, long term can cause issues.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, I think I have a better understanding of it now.

So Keppra can be taken more regularly, not addictive? From what I can see also has a higher success rate in people with similar symptoms to myself.

Klonopin to be used more irregularly and is stronger? Will blunt anxiety but not nessacarily help towards fixing it, merely mask the problems, because of this depency is commonplace.

Will ask for Keppra and see if they will give it to me this time!

what receptors does it supposedly burn out?

burn out might not be the right word... but I seem to remember reading that the gaba-A benzodiazepine receptors sites get overworked and are never the same again, even after full withdrawal.

This is why you can't take a break after withdrawal and then get a similar effect as when you first started... from my understanding... if you start back on a benzo, even after some years after withdrawal, you will only get a similar level of relief as the end of your last long term treatment.

Don't quote me on that, i'm paraphrasing and my memory is shot! There are probably people here with more insight into this than me.

So Keppra can be taken more regularly, not addictive? From what I can see also has a higher success rate in people with similar symptoms to myself.

According to my doctor, you can stay on it long term without any problems or tolerance.

Good luck, Jay

burn out might not be the right word... but I seem to remember reading that the gaba-A benzodiazepine receptors sites get overworked and are never the same again, even after full withdrawal.

This is why you can't take a break after withdrawal and then get a similar effect as when you first started... from my understanding... if you start back on a benzo, even after some years after withdrawal, you will only get a similar level of relief as the end of your last long term treatment.

Don't quote me on that, i'm paraphrasing and my memory is shot! There are probably people here with more insight into this than me.

Perhaps "Plasticity" is the word – changes in synaptic binding which are, of course, how we learn, how the brain functions

Jay, there's only a 15% chance of longterm users that don't return completely to normal according to Dr. Ashton. The rest of them still get better but it's a long process.

If you have any evidence to back that up pls post the website. I really need to take a look at myself if that's the case. But I'm almost positive it's not. Hope all is well later!

Thx Merkan, I usually find that the ppl who wind up with the most problems are those who don't taper correctly and shock their cns. The better the taper plan whether you dry cut small doses or titrate, seems to be the key to a successful withdrawal. Most long term peeps like me would take about 2 yrs. to completely get off the pills and then show improvements after 3 to 6 months. Although it usually takes atleast 1 yr. for full recovery, sometimes up to 3. People usually talk about taking it day by day, and exercise being the key in helping them recover.

a lot more knowledgeable than my doctor sadly lol. she cut my dose in half after about 2 years of 1 mg a day. after about the 7th day i couldnt take hppd and everything else i went back up to .5mg twice day. to big of a shock? its been almost a month on my normal dosage and dont really feel any better? would it be a good idea to up dose or combine it with something like keppra? im open to any and all suggestions cause i cant take these full blown symptoms

a lot more knowledgeable than my doctor sadly lol. she cut my dose in half after about 2 years of 1 mg a day. after about the 7th day i couldnt take hppd and everything else i went back up to .5mg twice day. to big of a shock? its been almost a month on my normal dosage and dont really feel any better? would it be a good idea to up dose or combine it with something like keppra? im open to any and all suggestions cause i cant take these full blown symptoms

Not sure what to tell you except I wouldn't up your benzo dose. Just keep yourself occupied and eventually things will return to normal. I know it's easier said then done, but you will slowly get back to how you fealt prior to this. The more you think about it the worse you'll feel. Take care!

Right well my GP refuses to give me either, says that Keppra is used for epilepsy and brain seizures and things which happen infrequently, says that it wouldnt happen constantly. Benzos because of how highly addictive they are and how the side effects of both can cause my symptoms and withdrawals later on.

Have an appointment with a neurologist however, my only worry is what if nothing comes up if they do scans etc...do the docs just put it down to me lying and tell me to get on with it? Reason I ask I hear a lot about people who go for scans etc and everything comes back normal.

Right well my GP refuses to give me either, says that Keppra is used for epilepsy and brain seizures and things which happen infrequently, says that it wouldnt happen constantly. Benzos because of how highly addictive they are and how the side effects of both can cause my symptoms and withdrawals later on.

Have an appointment with a neurologist however, my only worry is what if nothing comes up if they do scans etc...do the docs just put it down to me lying and tell me to get on with it? Reason I ask I hear a lot about people who go for scans etc and everything comes back normal.

I don't care if doctors believe me or not cause I know it's there, and they won't see anything on most scans. I've just known what med's could help and hurt over the last 10 yrs. and just tell them I have extreme panic anxiety disorder and insomnia. I wind up with the same med's they would of treated me with for hppd. I never wanted to try keppra I have enough rage without going through that side effect lol.

It's hard enough for doctors to find a nerve that's making my leg numb everyday, how the hell are they going to find or even do anything about hppd. GL!

1998>>

The rage is really overrated, it is actually VERY unusual to get this as a side effect. Many people attribute their depression etc. to rage from keppra that they get when becoming more intact and try to find themselves after suffering for so long. Rage is rare, really rare almost that it isn't distinguished from the placebo groups.

Need to talk to my doc about keppra next visit. I'm on depakote already for bipolar, but I need anything that would allow me to focus more while working. There are so many jobs I should be able to hold down but simply can't from dp/dr. Thx!

I asked one neurologist about ‘continuous seizures’ that are very mild. These are reported in books by Oliver Sacks – causing the symptom of hearing the same song over and over again all day. The doc said he was familiar with these but it wasn’t my problem.

I have to agree. The amount of proper brain activity falls in a statistical bell curve. What we suffer is an imbalance of activity. This is very typical of psychiatric disorder such as major depression, anxiety and schizophrenia.

With most of us, the over-active areas can be partly controlled with benzos and anti-seizures. Something needs to be found to encourage the under-active or otherwise dysregulated areas as well. All this is tricky. And getting doctors to work with you takes time – and the right ones.

In this country, neurologists are famous for running test and telling you what you don’t have. And then doing nothing else. Don’t know how much option you have with the NHS. But hopefully you’ll find doctors who will work with you. 1998 is smart in emphasizing the symptoms that match up with meds you are looking for - logically prompting the doctors

Merkan,

I am very calm in nature, such that my wife even tells me that I don’t get angry enough – perhaps Keppra is what is needed, lol

But seriously, thank you for mentioning that Keppra rage is overrated – I was a little nervous. Noticed in another post of yours that you actually suffer some emotional ‘flatness’ from it (hardly rage).

keppra slowed down my thinking a lot more than klonopin.

klonopin has a worse withdrawal.

keppra was better for dp/dr, klonopin better for hppd.

keppra made me more depressed. Consider taking vitamin b6 while on keppra, I read somewhere it may deplete this vitamin, and when I took it, it relieved the side effects somewhat.

Hey - thanks all,

Im definately gonna go through all the tests with the neurologist and it will be interesting to see if anything shows up. However I really am not banking on it and if anything I'm going to engineer my symptoms towards something that needs Keppra, just so I can get on a dose and try it out...

My main symptoms are my vision and dizziness / spacial awareness, but when I mention this they go down the route that it may be an inner ear balance problem, which it is most certainly not and its very frustrating to have it belittled to this.

The latest drug I have been prescribed which was on Monday to brush me off while I wait for my appointment is - cyclizine. Anyone have any info on this? Is it worth picking up the prescription? Prescriptions are expensive here and I really think from what I have read this really wont make any difference...it seems to be attributed to helping motion sickness?????

This is a very frustrating condition because if nothing shows up pysically, then it is considered physcological and I will just be pushed towards CBT again.

I mean, its difficult to tell...what EXACTLY is it...I definately feel the problem is in my 'brain' and possible chemical imbalance? I am (was) naturally a confident person and not particuarly anxious or nervous so I cant see it JUST being a simple case of an anxiety disorder, however trying to explain this to doctors whos attitude is 'well im the doctor, I know best' and not prepared to listen to you, makes it very hard to get particular treatment.

Anyway, it will be around 4 - 6 weeks for my appointment so I shouldn't really write the neurologist off before even meeting it, I will keep hopeful and waiting....

HPPD definitely won't show up in an MRI or CT. HPPD is disinhibition in the visual pathways. Anxiety is disinhibition in the emotional paths. Since everything is interconnected, sure anxiety can effect vision. That's why it's good to see HPPD not as just a visual problem, but also emotional....

''Anyway, it will be around 4 - 6 weeks for my appointment so I shouldn't really write the neurologist off before even meeting it, I will keep hopeful and waiting....''

Timer, I would schedule a few appointments weeks apart just incase you don't like the first doc. As long as you cancel 24 hrs. in advance (or ask about their cancelation policy) They can't charge you and you'll have back up Dr's. Hppd is def something worth taking your time to find the most helpful and sympathetic Dr's. I've actually had a few of my best Doc's wind up being G.P. GL!

If you have a decent doctor... see if you can get on Keppra, it is low risk and has worked for a good number of people.

Low risk? So it would be safer than taking clonazepam?

I am now taking Lyrica, no benefit at all has come from it so far, I don't seem to react well to drugs, they seem to have minimal effects (except for downers, alcohol, benzos and opiates) I have been taking clonazepam, trying to get off it now, think I am having withdrawals, did not think I would get addicted but that was me underestimating the drug. I wouldn't even reccomend taking it 1-2 times per week, maybe having it there for emergencies only, 1-2 weeks turned into daily for me, even though I said to my self I wouldn't let that happen.

Keppra would be my next choice, but according to the psychological side affects I'm not too sure though, although it does say it is well tolerated and some side affects can be countered with Vitamin B6. If it is safer than taking clonazepam I would rather go down that path.

I am worried about all these medications, they all seem to have seizure as a side effect.

Is keppra something that can be taken now and again like a benzo? Or is it something you need to be taking for 2 weeks or something before seeing benefit? I don't want to be on anything daily.

Low risk? So it would be safer than taking clonazepam?

I am now taking Lyrica, no benefit at all has come from it so far, I don't seem to react well to drugs, they seem to have minimal effects (except for downers, alcohol, benzos and opiates) I have been taking clonazepam, trying to get off it now, think I am having withdrawals, did not think I would get addicted but that was me underestimating the drug. I wouldn't even reccomend taking it 1-2 times per week, maybe having it there for emergencies only, 1-2 weeks turned into daily for me, even though I said to my self I wouldn't let that happen.

Keppra would be my next choice, but according to the psychological side affects I'm not too sure though, although it does say it is well tolerated and some side affects can be countered with Vitamin B6. If it is safer than taking clonazepam I would rather go down that path.

I am worried about all these medications, they all seem to have seizure as a side effect.

Is keppra something that can be taken now and again like a benzo? Or is it something you need to be taking for 2 weeks or something before seeing benefit? I don't want to be on anything daily.

Keppra actually is an anti-seizure so you likely shouldn't worry too much about getting seizures from it. It's safer in that it is not going to cause Benzo type withdraws down the road and building tolerance is not as big of an issue. It's recommended that you build up Keppra in your system over a short time and yes, you need to take it everyday. Additionally you will need to taper down when you go off it but it likely won't have the Benzo withdraw issues as it's an anti-seizure med.

Others here are much more knowledgeable and have tons more info for you.

1998>>

The rage is really overrated, it is actually VERY unusual to get this as a side effect. Many people attribute their depression etc. to rage from keppra that they get when becoming more intact and try to find themselves after suffering for so long. Rage is rare, really rare almost that it isn't distinguished from the placebo groups.

Keppra rage was a big problem for me I would lose it over stupid little things some days i felt like a ticking time bomb...