Phosphatidylserine: relevant studies

Wew busy day today! Anyway, here are some relevant studies I could dig up on PS:

Descriptive statistical comparisons among subjects and between pre- and postdrug EEG recordings allowed the detection of systematic EEG changes (notably increment of the power on the ‘alpha’ frequency, which was restricted to the anterior electrode derivations at the 50-mg dose and widespread to the whole scalp at the highest dose, and increase of the signal total power) in the absence of significant modifications of the subjects’ neuropsychological status.

source

Chronic intraperitoneal administration of PS induced a decrease of the epileptic burst frequency in the cat. The effect was already apparent after 14 days and of greater extent after 21 days.

source

Note that human studies only report the absence of acute effects. Most of them are done with concurrent GABA supplementation. I think it's putative that GABA is useless for oral consumption. Anyway, here's what I mean:

These results indicate that a single acute administration of GABA-PS has no effect in the human photosensitivity model, and suggest that the efficacy of GABA-PS in human epilepsy, as shown by a preliminary investigation, may possibly require chronic administration.

source

The i.p. injection in rats of GABA (740 mg/Kg) after sonication with an equal amount of phosphatidylserine (PS) has an antiepileptic effect. The injection of plain GABA has no such an effect.

source

Sadly, not much studies have been done on the anticonvulsant effects of PS. However, once could draw the conclusion from the latter study that, the fact that GABA injection lacks an anticonvulsant effect, but that GABA-PS exerts said effect, that GABA is possibly not involved in the anticonvulsant activity measured. So freaking weird that they didn't take the effort of doing pure PS injections.

A repeated-measures ANOVA demonstrated significant increases (p < 0.01) of glucose metabolism in defined cortical and subcortical structures ranging up to 20.3% in basal ganglia/thalamus and 19.3% in visual cortex.

source

Well hell I have no clue what glucose metabolism has to do with this, but it sounded noteworthy that there's an increase in the visual cortex.

Cortisol info:

Phosphatidylserine 800 mg/d for 10 days significantly blunted the ACTH and cortisol responses to physical exercise (P = 0.003 and P = 0.03, respectively), without affecting the rise in plasma GH and PRL.

source

That's all for now, folks!

• 10 months later...

Bump. Started supplementing this.

Phosphatidylserine inhibits the effects of IL-6, a cytokine that spikes in response to emotional, chemical, or physical stress, saturating IL-6 receptors in the midbrain. This in turn stimulates the IML, generating a sympathetic response. Paraphrased from Datis Kharrazian's book Why Isn't My Brain Working?.